One 3rd does not show street name when instructed to turn!!

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd
Folks,
I've only been playing with my One 3rd for a few hours now but so far my biggest peeve is while the TT is navigating me around, the arrow points left/right/whatever but then there is no indication at all what street you are instructed to turn onto (no street name displayed)

I understand the limitations of this entry level model, no TTS, but is it a configuration issue on my side or do all TT 1/3rds all behave the same way?

If i have the navigation OFF all street names show up fine. It is only when i'm receiving instructions to turn onto a street that the street name does not appear.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Stare at the map while Navigating is an invitation for disaster.
Use the Arrow at the bottom left and the distance count down to estimate your next turn. That arrow, enhanced by the prompt will guide you. TTS is even nicer. Once familiarized with that arrow, you are in the driver seat.
You can turn the Status Bar vertically to see the arrow better. When, let's say you have to turn Left right after a Right turn, TomTom show a 2nd smaller arrow indicating LEFT bellow the first fat one (indicating RIGHT). You know what lane you have to stay in ! Voice prompts sometimes are annoyingly slow, but that arrow is always faithful.

Thanks for the reply and GPS guidance.

I am still confused though.
Does this series of TT not show the street name that you are instructed to turn to next? It shows a big green arrow turning onto a street but it leaves the name of the street out.

I ask this because I like to do a double-check, GPS and then the actual street based on the posted sign. From what I can tell, the GPS doesn't show the street name.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Steven

Go to the Main Menu>Change Preferences>Status Bar Preferences>Press Done>Make sure that Show next street name is checked

The name of the street that you will be turning on next should be displayed at the bottom.

Thanks Flex!
I had no idea that option was there.
I played around in that menu and now things look a lot better for me.

I appreciate your quick response.
The Tomtom is looking a lot better now!

Cheers,
Steven

Go to the Main Menu>Change Preferences>Status Bar Preferences>Press Done>Make sure that Show next street name is checked

The name of the street that you will be turning on next should be displayed at the bottom.

Flex, are you sure that's right? When I use my unit to navigate, the street on the bottom is the street I am on, but there's no clear sign of the street I am to turn on. The street at the top of the screen is the next major road, NOT the street that you are to turn on, as per the ONE instruction manual.

Flex, are you sure that's right? When I use my unit to navigate, the street on the bottom is the street I am on, but there's no clear sign of the street I am to turn on. The street at the top of the screen is the next major road, NOT the street that you are to turn on, as per the ONE instruction manual.

On my STATUS BAR Preferences, I have SHOW NEXT STREET NAME and SHOW CURRENT STREET NAME checked. When I'm driving (seems like I have to first get out of my subdivision), at the bottom it will show the Next streets name that I am to turn on (white letters on a dark blue bar). It will also show in a non highlighted font the street I am currently on. At the top it shows the major highway when available.

Personally, I think Garmin is way better at showing the next street name. It really does a good job emphasizing the next street at the top. I think TomTom needs to make a configurable location of the next street a status bar option. But I've gotten use to TomToms method and it ends up a matter of preference.

I am 100% sure. I've been using my ONE with the new NavCore 7 for a couple of months now. Unless they changed it for the 3rd Edition which I would consider to be a dumb move as the font is much bigger at the bottom of the screen than under the car icon.

It will only show the current street at the bottom if you haven't chosen a route.

I am 100% sure. I've been using my ONE with the new NavCore 7 for a couple of months now. Unless they changed it for the 3rd Edition which I would consider to be a dumb move as the font is much bigger at the bottom of the screen than under the car icon.

It will only show the current street at the bottom if you haven't chosen a route.

You are correct, Flex.

TT One 3rd -

It screwed me up last night. Without a planned route, the "next street" displays the "current street"... or the other way around. The point is that without a planned route in memory, it's not exactly what you're expecting to see.

Plan a route, turn ON ALL the status options so you can correctly see which one is which... then turn off the ones you don't want. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to figure out since the "current" street is displayed in TWO places simultaneously.

Ask a Question