New ver 8.351

My volume experience with 8.351:

With auto-adjust volume unchecked - the volume is about 10% higher, pretty much at the same level as 8.302

With checked - no change from 8.350. The volume no longer auto-adjusts and is MUCH quieter than 8.302.

My suspicion is that, since 8.35x is a dual release for the x20/x30 and for the newer x40 models, they probably tuned the ambient noise calculation for the much better microphone in the x40.

Since the x20/x30 mic is much worse (based on ASR reliabilty) than the x40, I suspect that the software can't hear anything on x20/x30 devices, assumes the background is quiet, and auto-adjusts for what it thinks is a very silent room.

Where is that selection made? I went through all the menu options I could find and could not find the "auto-adjust volume"

I had it selected ( checked) before but can no longer find it.

thanks in advance

joe

OK, I've got a 920T with 8.350 running on it. Ever since I found this thread back in the end of May, I've been trying to get 8.351 many times a week. It still hasn't shown up in my Home! Any idea on how to get it to show up? I'm really looking forward to some of the fixes that people say came with 8.351.

When you use Home to 'Update my Unit', does it not offer an application update (usually the first item listed).

When you use Home to 'Update my Unit', does it not offer an application update (usually the first item listed).

Nope, that's why I'm confused. Application updates always showed up in the past, just not this time. I called TT support and they said to delete the "Download" and "FromDevice" folders in the TomTom directory and try updating again but that didn't work. I still have no clue on what to do about this. :confused:

First, try deleting the ttgo.bif file from the tomtom, disconnect properly using the blue button on the lower right of HOME, unpug from the computer, and then do a pin reset. Then turn on the tomtom (unplugged), wait until the map shows on the screen, then plug it into the computer

If that doesn't work, try these steps.

Last edited:
Phonebook entries...

I am using v8.351. After reading this thread I copied my numbers from my phone again and this is the first time that all of them copied.

Changes have been made in the software. Are there release notes anywhere to read about what has been updated/changed?

Thanks.

This is ALL TT says about 8.351:

Version 8.351

(TomTom GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40)

EPT (Enhanced Positioning Technology) enabled for Australia
Volume setting optimised
Other minor improvements

This is ALL TT says about 8.351:

Version 8.351

Volume setting optimised
Other minor improvements

Had to make a correction on your post.

Version 8.351

Volume setting optimised
Other minor improvements
New bugs added

Sage, my list was what TT's site reported. Don't think they mentioned anything about new bugs being added. May have missed it, though. :p

FM Transmission is temporary...

I was out in the middle of nowhere so I was able to use the FM transmitter for music - normally there are very few dead frequencies to choose from.

The TomTom would play the Jukebox for maybe 20 or 30 minutes and then stop transmitting. The transmitter could be restarted but then it would just stop transmitting again later.

I had it on for hours on 8.350 with mostly no problems. The only problem I found is when my bluetooth phone (used for PLUS traffic) went into a dead zone - it confused the Tomtom. First the FM would die then eventually the whole Tomtom would reboot.

Were you using bluetooth?

No I've given up on bluetooth. My only successful call on bluetooth was an accidental 911 call when the TomTom was loose in a friends truck. Mine usually drops the call when it gets answered but the cell phone still has the phone call open. I think my TomTom is cursed.

I've read a few posts in the past where their TomTom has also dialed 911 when they had the TomTom in their pocket. They had loose change in their pocket when this occurred. I forgot which member it happened to.

Ask a Question