New ver 8.351

TomTom Model(s)
Just downloaded ver 8.351, Now I have not be able to aquire any sattelites.Tried reset and on,off but no good any help out there????/

Hmm, that update isn't being offered to me. Wonder if they are using some people to "beta test" their software :p

Edit: I just realized how foolish my post sounded, only because I had forgotten and should have realized that we are ALL beta testers ALL the time.

Last edited:
Now I'm able to download the update. Its size is listed as "tiny" which is the first time I have ever seen it say that. They are normally 30-40 mb in size.. Ohh well.. Here goes nothing!

Just downloaded ver 8.351, Now I have not be able to aquire any sattelites.Tried reset and on,off but no good any help out there????/

It always takes forever for the first satellite lock after a new application. Make sure you downloaded the latest quickgpsfix, then put it outdoors in the sun and not moving for about 5 minutes. (It'll take longer if you're moving, up to 15 mintues)

Once that happens, everything should be normal.

most importantly, is the volume fixed?

Before installing any application update, make sure you have an Explorer, not Home, backup of the previous application.

Did you have the volume problem with 8.350 and, if so, is the situation improved with 8.351??

To the best of my knowledge the sound is fixed. I had it at 100% and yeah sounded like the speaker was gonna blow. BUUUT I had an issue with my phonebook being transfered. It would transfer but when i used TT to call all I would get is numbers not letters. So I have no idea who I'm calling!
Maybe on the next firmware it will be fixed.

Peace

Since the FM function was brought back, I haven't used the internal speaker at all, so I wouldn't know if anything has changed. I guess I'll try it now to see if the volume is any lower than the last 2 upgrades.

Edit: Wow, I never realized how low the volume since the last 2 upgrades since I am now using the speaker for the first time. I used to always drive with my unit at 40% volume, and now 40% is WAY TOO low for any driving at all. So I can confirm that the volume is still low with this latest upgrade.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge the sound is fixed. I had it at 100% and yeah sounded like the speaker was gonna blow. BUUUT I had an issue with my phonebook being transfered. It would transfer but when i used TT to call all I would get is numbers not letters. So I have no idea who I'm calling!

Peace

I'm not sure that it's fixed. 100% right now doesn't sound anywhere near as loud as my TomTom used to sound. And 40% is barely audible now. Back then, if I set it to 100% the speaker would vibrate like crazy. At this rate, if I were to use the internal speaker while driving, I would HAVE to have it set at 100%

I can't imagine this low volume at speeds above 60 MPH in my Civic.

One thing I have never heard my device say before is "Your arrival time is xx minutes. You are still on your fastest route" and I know it used to say something like "No faster routes available"

8.351 application download

Downloaded this application with no problems. As far as the sound goes with my 920 their was a definate improvement in the volume. Now I can use 95% volume and get good sound in my car. Before it was low at 100%. If anyone sees any other improvements please let me know

I finally got a GPS fix took about ten min. all working good now, there is a improvement in sound,,. I had problems running a Diesel truck.....

Wow.. So you guys are saying that the previous version of NavCore had much worse volume? Wow.. that must have sucked badly. Again, I never did get around to trying the internal speaker with version 8.530 since I was only using the FM transmitter. I'm tempted to downgrade just to test out the volume and see how bad it really was. I'm glad that TomTom did listen to you guys and upped the volume a bit.

They may have improved it a bit, but I doubt it's back to the original volume we had back then. Either that or I'm just losing my mind I guess.. :eek:

Peace

I have the same problem with my Motorola K1M phone. Phonebook is useless after both 8.350 and 8.351. Deleting the phonebook entries and re-transferring them makes no difference.Stupid really. The updates were supposed to improve phonebook transfers.

My volume was reduced with 8.350 and remains the same after 8.351 (maybe ever-so-slightly louder, maybe not) but for me, the reduction was a welcomed change from the speaker blowing distortion levels at higher volumes. There were times when I needed to set it high for bluetooth earpiece output, then when the unit reverted to the internal speaker it would be unbearably distorted. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't feel for those who are having volume problems.

Mine is a GO 730

I just got through dumping 8.350 due to problems (would not "operate my go" in Home, and seemed to be having problems with data connection - even though TT support said it was not a known issue).

I only installed 8.350 because I thought i had read that 830 map would not work with 8.302. Turns out ik works fine with 8.302.

I think the data services problem might be at to server end, as when I first re-installed 8.302, it worked fine - but quit about 1/2 hour later.

I don't use FM, and unless there is anything new/significant with 8.350/8.351 - think I will stay with 8.302.

I have beta tested window 7 and now the RC because i wanted to - but this TT practice of releasing essentially betas as "updates" is getting old.

I took the plunge and updated to 8.351, mostly for the volume issue. I must say that I have not noticed any appreciable difference from 8.350. The volume in 8.302 is much better.

Bill

sattalite

takes much more time to acquire satalites the first time you use it after the update.but it will aquire it. After this first time it will work welll

takes much more time to acquire satalites the first time you use it after the update.but it will aquire it. After this first time it will work welll

Mine took 12 to 13 seconds right after the update (or any update) inside my bedroom full of electronics. I guess I'm just lucky?

I have NEVER had my device go above 3 minutes to locate a satellite. I'd go nuts if I had to wait anywhere near 5 to 10 minutes, let alone 15 minutes.

My volume experience with 8.351:

With auto-adjust volume unchecked - the volume is about 10% higher, pretty much at the same level as 8.302

With auto-adjust volume checked - no change from 8.350. The volume no longer auto-adjusts and is MUCH quieter than 8.302.

My suspicion is that, since 8.35x is a dual release for the x20/x30 and for the newer x40 models, they probably tuned the ambient noise calculation for the much better microphone in the x40.

Since the x20/x30 mic is much worse (based on ASR reliabilty) than the x40, I suspect that the software can't hear anything on x20/x30 devices, assumes the background is quiet, and auto-adjusts for what it thinks is a very silent room.

Ask a Question