New User Questions (XXL 540 TM)

Hello,

Thanks for All the previous help.
Have a new XXL 540 TM

Sure is quite a gadget; very impressive.
Thanks to you folks, think I have the hang of (most of) it now.

A few not very important questions:

a. Re the POI, and the icons for gas/service stations.
There seem to be two different icons that come up.
How are they different in what the info. they are conveying is ?

b.How do I get rid of that blue, more or less round, what I think is termed a Cursor, icon.
Seems to be always there; must it be ?
I do have the Show-Coordinates box Un-Checked.

c. When I go to the Preferences Screen, the "Show Lane Images" icon has a check mark in the upper left hand corner.
Does this mean that it is Already activated, or must I press the icon to activate this feature ?

d. I haven't been able to repeat this, but I'll throw it in anyway.
During some "fiddling", a white bar/stripe showed up on the screen bottom, with a flag icon in the lower-left corner. Pressing it did nothing.
What is this for, please ?

Thanks,
Bob

a. Re the POI, and the icons for gas/service stations.
There seem to be two different icons that come up.
How are they different in what the info. they are conveying is ?

Pretty certain that the one icon represents fuel prices available IF you subscribe to TomTom Fuel Services

Hello,
b.How do I get rid of that blue, more or less round, what I think is termed a Cursor, icon.
Seems to be always there; must it be ?
I do have the Show-Coordinates box Un-Checked.
That is the car symbol which by default is present. You can change it by going to Change Preferences/Change car symbol, and select something else listed, or by creating your own (if interested someone can help you on that process).

c. When I go to the Preferences Screen, the "Show Lane Images" icon has a check mark in the upper left hand corner.
Does this mean that it is Already activated, or must I press the icon to activate this feature ?
You must press the icon to activate this feature. Once activated, then the choice the next time for you would be to "hide lane images."
d. I haven't been able to repeat this, but I'll throw it in anyway.
During some "fiddling", a white bar/stripe showed up on the screen bottom, with a flag icon in the lower-left corner. Pressing it did nothing.
What is this for, please ?
Doesn't sound quite like mine, but it could be part of the traffic feature?

Pretty certain that the one icon represents fuel prices available IF you subscribe to TomTom Fuel Services

Agreed... In the UK the "ordinary" fuel POIs show up as a petrol pump icon, and the subscription fuel price POI stations have a different pump with a dollar sign beside it.

That is the car symbol which by default is present. You can change it by going to Change Preferences/Change car symbol, and select something else listed, or by creating your own (if interested someone can help you on that process).
I think you got that one wrong. The OP is referring to the round blue cursor on the MAP screen. The one that shows where you have tapped the screen.

To Robert.. no you can't get rid of it.
But it is so useful, why would you want to?

Once you've tapped somewhere on the map, tap the button at the bottom with the same blue icon and you will be able to navigate to that spot on the map, add it as a Favourite or POI, find a particular type of POI near it, use it as a "via" point to force a route to go past it, or make a correction to the map at that point. All very handy!

You must press the icon to activate this feature. Once activated, then the choice the next time for you would be to "hide lane images."

Agreed. On a TomTom, the menu text on an icon always refers to "what happens if you press it"
So if you were currently using the day colour scheme, that icon would say "Use night colours". Once you had selected it and were now using the night scheme, the icon text would have changed to "Use Day Colours".

Doesn't sound quite like mine, but it could be part of the traffic feature?
Never seen that, sounds like a glitch to me.

Last edited:

Ask a Question