Questions for first time user - VIA 1435

I have a trip coming up shortly and I'm looking at GPS units. I have a couple questions:

1) Should I consider the new VIA 14XX or 15XX series? They are brand new and I don't like being a 'beta tester' for new units, but I hate to get a product like the XXL540 that is being discontinued.

2) I know the 'Lifetime Map Updates' are defined as 4 map updates, but does the initial '30-day map update guarantee' count against the Lifetime Map updates. I doubt it, but I want to make sure.

3) I don't need Bluetooth, but the voice command feature seems compelling. Is the voice command feature worth it if you will be driving with someone else most of the time (someone who could enter the information themselves while I drive)? Also, does it pick up a lot of ambient sounds that affects performance? My daughter is 2 and she creates quite a bit of 'ambient sounds' from the backseat.

4) If given the option (pricewise) for a newer unit with a 4.3" display or an older unit with a 5" display, which would you choose. I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a 4.3" or 5" display - an if the size makes that big a difference.

5) This might be blasphemous on this forum, but if anyone has used a recent Garmin unit and a recent TomTom unit, are there any major benefits to a Garmin and if you had to do it again would you still get a TomTom?

Pretty much a newbie to this, so any other advice or considerations would be great. My budget is around $200 but I could go a little higher if it's worth it.

2) I know the 'Lifetime Map Updates' are defined as 4 map updates, but does the initial '30-day map update guarantee' count against the Lifetime Map updates. I doubt it, but I want to make sure.
It's not just 4 updates, it's 4 updates per year. TomTom releases new maps quarterly.

3) I don't need Bluetooth, but the voice command feature seems compelling.

Whilst this works it really depends upon your accent as to whether it works well or just gets used for ammusement, having to tap the screen to put the device in to voice recognition mode each time rather negates the purpose.

5) This might be blasphemous on this forum, but if anyone has used a recent Garmin unit and a recent TomTom unit, are there any major benefits to a Garmin and if you had to do it again would you still get a TomTom?

I have been using a Garmin 3790T which is probably over your budget but it is a cracking device. Considerably thinner making it easier to put in the pocket, the voice control works very well and can be set to recognise a specific word to put the device in to voce recognition mode (no tapping of the screen needed). The primary advantege (for me) is the ability to see the device from the PC using Windows Explorer but in addition to this the Garmin PC interface is far more predictable and reliable in use than that offered by the MyTomTom web based browser - Mike

I like the 5" screen, and use my Tomtom enough that I feel the extra cost is justified. If you plan to use your Tomtom occasionally it's not really worth it.

The Voice recognition on my GO740 is gimmicky and not useful, I find it's much easier to just tap instructions. Tomtom is providing a new "Intuitive Voice Recognition" upgrade on the latest GO models, but it doesn't appear to be offered on the VIA models.

You can see the feature comparison site here to compare the European VIA and the 5" XXL models, to see feature differences. I'll attempt to interpret the TT website and get the American VIA specs posted soon, but the European VIA should at least give you a general idea.

Ask a Question