Updating Questions; New User

Hello,

Have a new XXL 540 TM which is my first gps.

Have several questions after playing with the unit, and also
reading the big pdf manual that I downloaded.

Still confused over a few things, but will blame it on
my old Sr. Citizen status now, which I've found is a truly great excuse for just about everything. So, please put up with a few dumb questions.

Unit seems to work fine, but the updating has me going around in circles.

Regarding the lifetime Maps that apparently the unit comes with:

a. Does the unit, automatically, update to the latest every time you connect to your PC, or do you have to do it thru the TomTom Home site and a logging in ?

b. Can I update as often as I like, or am I limited to 4/year like those who pay additionally to update are ?
Have tried the updatting a lot; could I have used up the 4 already, if that is actually a limit for me even though "Lifetime Maps" ?

c. On their site, is there a way to see a version number for the latest versions of everything ?

I found a screen on my unit that says I have:

"IQ Routes Edition
Device AKTXU-A2D4W
APP 9.061.576030.2 OS 567329
Map: USA_Canada_and Mexico_P
V 845.2670 "

I guess the APP No. and the last line V number are most important.

Do I have the latest on everything ?

Thank you very much,
Bob

For lifetime maps, you have to register the unit on TomTom's site and there should be a menu item where you log in for the activation code that should have been provided in the materials in the box the 540 came in.

If you have problems in this area, call CS at 866-486-6866.

Maps are updated four times a year (the next -- 875-- is due in mid August). So you don't have the latest (870) map but do have the latest application.

Once you activate the subscription what should happen one day in August is when you go to Home's Update my Unit, besides mapshare files and a gps file, you'll see a new map offered.

And make sure you've made that Explorer, not Home backup!!!

As dnh said, you should have a card with a lifetime map code inside the box. You have to input that code in TomTom Home to activate the subscription. You should then be offered map 870.

New maps come out every 3 months and will automatically be offered when you connect your TomTom to your computer and open TomTom Home. (Note that updating maps can take a lot of time, as much as 3-4 hours depending on your internet connection).

Apart from that, you should also get offered Mapshare, QuickGPSfix and Safety camera updates every 2-3 days when you connect your unit to Home.

As dnh said, it's always a good idea to backup the contents of your TomTom onto your computer in case anything goes wrong. I've never had any problems, but you can never be too sure and it's always good to have a backup just in case!

To dhn: Using "Explorer" For Backup ?

Hello,

Thanks so much for the help.

Hate to appear dumber than I am,but guess asking dumb questions is the best way to learn.
Appreciate the help.

Want to do that Backup you suggested.

What do you mean by use "Explorer" ?
How, exactly, please ?

Thanks,
Bob

Then, select a folder on your computer where you want the files to go and click "Paste".

Bob.. Just to add... normally this would be a NEW folder that you make yourself.

In fact it's worth creating a main "TomTom backups" folder and then making new sub-folders inside that every time you make another backup (which you should do before every major update like getting a new map).

Give the folders sensible names like the software and map version numbers and the date.

------------

As for the map updates... Hopefully, from the previous replies, you've now got the hang of how there are four full new map releases a year, but many more minor "MapShare corrections" that you can download as often as you like.

------------
About the only one of your questions still outstanding is...
c. On their site, is there a way to see a version number for the latest versions of everything ?

There *is*..... but it's not very good and is often not updated properly.

US site:
Application update overview

UK site:
Application update overview

Also, the daft way they have laid out the page means you cannot ask it what the latest version is for a particular model... you have to scan the list from the newest backward in the hope of finding which models it is for. :frusty:

It's probably better/quicker to just as the experts here!

From OP:

Hi,

Just a quick thanks for all the excellent help.
Much appreciated.

Nice of you folks to take All the time to help me out.

Regards,
Bob

Ask a Question