New Map ...?

That is definitely one of the "not direct replacement" situations, -et-.

I'm still very unhappy about the service the OP got. Ever heard anything like it?

One thought about this comes to mind.

It's just a specific case of one of the possibilities that canderson lists above, but it might be worth checking, just because it would be easy to overlook if you don't read very, very carefully.

TomTom has a "USA_Canada_and_Mexico" map, and they also have a "USA_and_Canada" map. If one of those was originally on the GPS, and an attempt was made to load the other, the SD card would be needed - but a casual glance could easily lead the user to think that they were the same map.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Nop, The new one I got from TT is an identical one but newer Versiion
still USA_CANADA_MEXICO V895
Now, when I check it shows a little SD card sign on the left of the map .
Was not there before .
I don't understand why the OLD map has to stuck with my device though ..!!

(BTW .. I will get class 10 sd card and reinstall new map , see if it works better .)

If my memory is correct, I heard of some devices sent to TomTom for repair being returned (or replaced) with maps that had a flaw that resulted in the inability of the TomTom map server to properly recognize the map. As a consequence, when the time came to do an update, the server did not replace the map because it considered it to be a different map, not an earlier version of the same map.

Perhaps something similar is happening here?

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Yes, I know of a couple of units that have been sent to users with 'odd' maps (mostly directly from TomTom and in 'another' venue, however), and that was the result. The OP hasn't mentioned anything about a service issue previously, but again, you've nailed another way that the new map doesn't appear to the unit to be a 'direct replacement' for the one that's there, even when the name matches.

To the OP .. can you please briefly use the "Switch map" feature, and then go again to the details of your device and spell out the entire map version of your previous map? It only reports on the map you currently have selected, which is why I ask to make the switch for a moment. While not 100% guaranteed, if it's a 'deviant' map, that might well tell us so.

This is the old map on the unit:
App12.045.1067676.84.(0) (2041,9/19/2012),05.1017068
GPS 2.18.903.127792.Boot 713650, Back up 947057
NF mark:NF469-12/31,12/32,12/33,12/34,12/44,12/45
Map: USA_Canada_Mexico V890.4243, release date : 6/2012

Hmm...
Perhaps one of the other mods can verify, but I show that my 890 maps (also version 890.4243) had a release date in April, not June. My 895.4454 shows the same July release date as yours.

Unfortunately, I don't keep the Nav3 cache (only Nav2), so I can't confirm, but that 6/2012 release date on his original 890 map just doesn't look right to me at all.

I hope this is just a temporary work around for LTM activation from TT ,

My Kingston 8GB class 10 SD card is on the way though ...should work out OK .

Thanks Guys .

(BTW , Please keep me update if you have any more info about this issue , Appreciated very much)

The long and the short of it is, as I understand your present state of things, that you have an 890 map permanently stuck in the internal memory of your device, and the tech support agent that you talked to was either unaware or untrained when it comes to running a server job from their end that would remove this map from your unit and free up the internal memory space that it occupies.

That still needs to be addressed, but it would have to be done from your end.

If you can take the time to call again, and explain the problem to them as I have just done above, see if they will find someone familiar with how they can manipulate your device from their offices to make this fix. If the person you are talking to cannot or will not deal with this, please find out his/her full name and location for us.

Out of interest... We said earlier that MyTomTom will not allow you to remove the last (or only) map from a TomTom device. But now there are TWO maps on your unit and card, does MyTomTom now allow you to remove the old one?

Out of interest... We said earlier that MyTomTom will not allow you to remove the last (or only) map from a TomTom device. But now there are TWO maps on your unit and card, does MyTomTom now allow you to remove the old one?

There is NO option in "MyTT" that I can remove any of the maps .. just ADD ON the new one to the SD card .

Here is the email from TT tech .

Subject
Maps update issue

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Pablo R) 11/08/2012 02:41 PM
Dear Mr .

Thank you for your phone call today, I’m glad I was able to help you. If you have any more queries, myself or one of my colleagues will be more than happy to help.
In order to download the latest map, please do the following:

1. Connect the device to the computer.
2. Update the app first, it should be installed instantly.
3. Once the app is installed, the map can be updated.

Also, if you get a chance to fill out our satisfaction survey it would be good to hear your opinion of our Customer Service.

With Best Regards,
Pablo
TomTom Customer Support Team
You may update your incident at http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/ac...pdated: 11/08/2012 02:41 PM Status: Waiting

Last edited:
There is NO option in "MyTT" that I can remove any of the maps .. just ADD ON the new one to the SD card .
Since you've added the one to the SD card, when you select Manage Content within MyTT, what kinds of buttons DO you see to the right of each of the two maps? Any at all? Black or gray?

Nothing , Just the name of the maps .
If you high line any of them and hit back it will activate that map

ifd5a9.jpg
[/IMG]

No, no, no. Connect your TomTom and let the web page open. When open, you'll see a green tab in the upper right of your PC screen that says "MyTomTom". You should be able to "Manage Content" from there.

No, no, no. Connect your TomTom and let the web page open. When open, you'll see a green tab in the upper right of your PC screen that says "MyTomTom". You should be able to "Manage Content" from there.[/QUOT

This is what it said before new map update :

2w4kzz6.jpg

In manage content : do nod have any option to do anything ....?

ir6xso.jpg

Clearly something wrong. The unit 'sees' a map on both memory card and internal, Manage Content shows stuff on internal (used is over 3 gigs) BUT My Maps section of MyTomTom only 'sees' what is on the card.

What happens if you remove the memory card? Does the device see a map and work? AND if you connect to MyTomTom without the card, what does Manage Content AND My Maps show???

Clearly something wrong. The unit 'sees' a map on both memory card and internal, Manage Content shows stuff on internal (used is over 3 gigs) BUT My Maps section of MyTomTom only 'sees' what is on the card.

What happens if you remove the memory card? Does the device see a map and work? AND if you connect to MyTomTom without the card, what does Manage Content AND My Maps show???

If I connect gps to MyTT without selecting new map "on SD card" or without sd card it will say ..
"There is something wrong with your device"
Then I have to unplug it ...select the OLD map "on device" or insert sd card and select new map ..

I found this :

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Map-installation/VIA-1435TM-device-is-full/td-p/367424

Don't know how this member worked out ... ?

Just to make sure , I will call TT svc one more time tomorrow to see if it's possible to install new map without mem card .

You'll need 2nd level support (or a supervisor) to deal with this. They should be able to see what appears to be allocated to your device and WHERE (internal or SD) the map(s) are.

1--866-486-6866

You'll need 2nd level support (or a supervisor) to deal with this. They should be able to see what appears to be allocated to your device and WHERE (internal or SD) the map(s) are.

1--866-486-6866

After the Tech had me install FF browser and run all updates for plug-ins ..
The 2nd level Tech support confirmed that RIGHT NOW they're having problem with the web site and all VIA devices need to use SD card to install new map , he also said when the new map come out , I have to call them again to push the old one on the sd card out to make room for new one ... this is the next solution if the web site have NOT been fixed by then .:confused:

Ask a Question