New Map ...?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1435TM
Hi All
I just bought TT VIA1435TM ..Installed mytomtom ..activated ok ..
but I can't find new map for the unit .. it's now map V.8.9 (2.8GB)
How do I know if i have the newest map ...?

Thanks.

I assume that's map 890, so no, it isn't quite the latest.

Since you bought the TM version, there should be a bit of paper that says "Do Not Discard!" in your box that provides the number to use to enable your lifetime map subscription. Find it now before you toss anything!

On the whole, we've found it easier to call tech support with that number to get your subscription rolling. 895 is already out there, and 900 should become available in the next week or two.

1-866-486-6866

Yes, I used that promotional code to activate my LTM , and the tech said it was OK .
But when I run "check for new item" in mytomtom then it shows map V890 and 'your device is up to date" ... any idea ..?

Update: On the phone with TT svc Tech right now .... was sent to higher level tech...

(BTW .. It's there a way to sync all my favorites to new GPS ..?)

Last edited:
Create a custom poi category from your favourites. See here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71517&highlight=

Then use the Add Community Content link (when the new device is connected to the computer, the link will be in the desktop's MyTT icon) to add the poi file to the new unit.

Cool .. I will try after work .

Thanks .

(BTW .. I was sent to another higher svc tech and waiting for him to call back ..
may be i have 2 gps on 1 account ...?)

Yikes. dhn brings up a good point. I see you have two units in your profile, and I'm guessing that you already had the 340S and then bought the 1435TM. If you tried to use the same email registration for the 1435TM as you were already using for the 340S, that could easily account for your problem. As David points out, you need a separate 'account' (email address) for each unit.

The Tech has worked out and I see the new map V895 in mytomtom ready for install .

I need a micro Sd card to do this ..

Thank you all .

Last edited:
Eh? There's no reason you should need to purchase a uSD card to install the North American map. Your 1435 has 4GB of memory. There might be other reasons you would want to add a card, but obtaining the new map should NOT be one of them. What reason did they give?!?

Eh? There's no reason you should need to purchase a uSD card to install the North American map. Your 1435 has 4GB of memory. There might be other reasons you would want to add a card, but obtaining the new map should NOT be one of them. What reason did they give?!?

It would NOT do it without a sd card ,
It's a whole new US,CA and Mexico map , and the gps only has about 300MB left.
I don't know why it install on the sd card but not in the device itself ..
After update , I have to go to setting and switch to the new map on the sc card ..
I wonder , how to go about to get a new map down the road ..if the sd card gets full ..?

Well ... I will call the tech guy again tomorrow to find down ...!!

Update:
TT tech said ... the next new map update will push over the old one to make room for it ,
But SD card has to be inserted constantly ..
For now ... there is No way to install new map directly to the device as of these new VIA models...!!

Let me address a couple of things:
It would NOT do it without a sd card ,
It's a whole new US,CA and Mexico map , and the gps only has about 300MB left.
The new map should always overlay the old map, and the new map is NOT 300MB larger than the old one, so how much memory you have left isn't very relevant. If the map refuses to overlay the previous map, then Tech Support must initiate a job that first pulls the old map off your unit and then provide the new map.
I wonder , how to go about to get a new map down the road ..if the sd card gets full ..?
See above. It's the same process if the map is on the SD card and there isn't enough space available in internal memory (which should ONLY happen if you have a map from another region already loaded). New map should always overlay old map. Simple as that. If it refuses, something is broken, and it is up to Tech Support to resolve this. End of story.
But SD card has to be inserted constantly ..
For now ... there is No way to install new map directly to the device as of these new VIA models...!!
Well, the rest of us are doing it ... mostly. There ARE the rare instances where the device doesn't see the new incoming map as an absolutely direct 1 to 1 replacement for the old one. Under that circumstance, it will not overlay the old map, and would otherwise require that an SD card be installed.

Let's clarify a few things, and then I would prefer it if you would give Tech Support an earful for this garbage about needing an SD card on a device with 4GB of internal memory.

First, if yours is going to be a 'one map' system (i.e., not trying to load both USA and Europe, or Europe and Southeast Asia, or whatever) such that the original North American map fits OK in 4GB, then the new replacement North American map WILL fit in that same 4GB. It's just NOT that big yet that it would not fit.

Second, the device will NOT allow you to offload the only map that is installed to your PC. In other words, MyTomTom will NOT allow you to copy your only map to your PC and delete it from the device.

Third, if it appears to the system that the downloaded map is NOT a direct replacement for the map that is already on the unit, it will NOT overlay that map. My guess is that one or the other (existing or new) map is not the correct map, or that something has happened that is fooling your unit into thinking that one is not a direct replacement for the other.

Fourth, it is possible for 2nd level Tech Support to run a 'job' from the TomTom server that will remove your only map .. something that you are not able to do (see 'Second', above). If it is found that it is the map already on your unit that is causing the issue, then this is the procedure that should be carried out in order to get your new, clean map installed on your unit.

I don't know how to make it much clearer than that, but if there's still any issue, please let us know. Meanwhile, it is INEXCUSABLE that Tech Support would advise that a 4GB Nav3 unit like yours will require a uSD card to install the current map while leaving the old one in place in internal memory. Did they even advise you that you needed to swap maps using the menu system of the unit to USE the map on the uSD card?

I'm curious ..

Main menu
Settings
Left arrow
Me and my device
About my device
What are the first two characters after the word "Device" on the top line?
What is the full text on the line that starts with "Map:"?

That was what I thought it should work with out an SD card as of most TT device ,
Since mine is kind of new model so there is not much info on the net that I can go by ..
as I ask for help in this forum ...hopefully there will be someone with the same VIA model
can give us more info later .

I completely understand what you said ...but the TT tech that I talked to insisted that this is the way to go for VIA model ..beside I could barely understand his English ..just go for what works for now ..!!

Here is the map on the SD card : New one .

First 2 letter of the SN is AR ........(0) (8.9)
App 12.045.1067676
Map: USA_Canada_and_Mexico' V895.4454 Release date 07/2012 .

(BTW .. This model is awsome .. voice command, live traffic and blue-tooth works great ...I like it .. Got it cheap too, $105.00 from Amazon with $30.00 off with new account)

Yes, the "AR" indicates that you have a full 4GB model. It would have been really odd, but wanted to assure you hadn't wound up with one of the regional 2GB models that are sold outside North America.

So anyway, since you are showing map 895, you are (for a short while, anyway) up to date. Because you evidently now have maps on both internal and uSD card memory, I assume you also figured out (or were told by Tech Support) the need for using the "Switch map" feature to be sure you're on the most recent one. Problem is, that menu page doesn't show the version of the map (something we have asked TT to change), just the name, so you'll undoubtedly be seeing two identical entries. Anyway, since your device is showing 895, the right one is selected for now.

With luck, Tech Support warned you to be sure to get at least a Class 6 card. Class 4 and below can slow things down a good bit since the card would be slower than the unit's demand for new data.

Heck no ...he never mentioned what kind of Sd card i should use ...
I just happened to have one around ... hopefully is a class 6 one ..
do not see any slow though ..
Since everything is working ..I leave it as it for now ..

Thanks for your indepht advice ...so glad to find this forum .. you guys are great ..

Thank you all .

If you look carefully at the card, it should have a number in a little circle. That would be the 'class', which in turn defines the read/write speed of the card. Write speed isn't a big deal, but read speed is. Let us know how you make out with it.

It's a 4GB kingston Micro Sd HC class 4 .
I tried to run the speed test with bench32 , but It could not write with a new map on it .
should I buy a class 6 for it ..I see alot class 10 come out now ...
Would it run faster with class 10 card ..?

Thanks.

Our experience has been that a Class 4 will slow down operation some. "Some" depends on how you are using the device (lots of POI shown on the map, etc.). The device frequently pages in new chunks of map data to working memory from the card. Class 6 seems to hit the sweet spot. Class 10 is overkill, but won't hurt a thing if that's what comes in at the right price.

One thought about this comes to mind.

It's just a specific case of one of the possibilities that canderson lists above, but it might be worth checking, just because it would be easy to overlook if you don't read very, very carefully.

TomTom has a "USA_Canada_and_Mexico" map, and they also have a "USA_and_Canada" map. If one of those was originally on the GPS, and an attempt was made to load the other, the SD card would be needed - but a casual glance could easily lead the user to think that they were the same map.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question