New 740 User Question

Bought my first Tom Tom, a GO 740 LIVE, about a week ago directly from Tom Tom. The LIVE services, traffic etc., worked right out of the box--for about 3 days. Then, when I tried to access it, I got a message that service was not available with the Error Message: 1001. I did a soft reset, then a hard reset. Still no LIVE service. I found my way to the Network screen and saw no bars.
After the 4th day of no LIVE, I called Support yesterday. Waited 20 minutes and got a nice person who took all my info about resets, error message etc., said he was stumped and transferred me to someone else. He came on and said "wait a week and see if it comes back; the network comes and goes."
As a first experience with a company and its latest product, this was disappointing.
Should I expect that the network "comes and goes" for days at a time?
P.S. I am in the Phila/So. Jersey area.

Thanks for any words of encouragement or other advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on new user question

64 of you were kind enough to look at my posting, but when none of you were able to reply, I decided the problem (unable to connect to Tom Tom Live network) was probably not fixable on the user end of things.
I called Tom Tom again and told them I still had the problem, four days after my initial call (and their advice to "wait it out"). After talking to 2 more very nice people, they decided that it was probably a hardware problem and I've had to send the unit back to them. I'll let the forum know how that goes. Thanks anyway.

I hope your post was not meant in a sarcastic tone.

Very few people, relatively speaking, have 740s in the States (It's not even available in Canada). Even fewer log in here. And, apparently those who did couldn't help.

That's why there were no responses.

Sorry I didn't notice your questions when first posted. No, it's not normal to have no service for days at a time. I've seen a couple of similar issues from other posters with the 740 and none were answered correctly by TomTom IMO. Some others with the same complaint were also told that the network was down, and in one case that it had been down for a couple of days nationwide, which wasn't true. Honestly, I don't know where they come up with some of the answers. My guess is that you have a hardware failure and TomTom is right to replace the device. Personally I would have just returned it to the retailer if convenient and exchanged for another. I don't think it's very common, but some of the early units have had connection issues.

I got the same error message when connected to tomtom home The server must have been down. The next day downloading went right through with no error message and no corrections on my part.

Apologies

DHN: Absolutely no sarcasm intended! Sorry to have given that impression. I can tell by looking through the Forum that the members always help when they can. I took no responses to simply be a sign that my problem was unique or unsolvable.

I live in Texas and purchased a 740 LIVE about a week ago (from Sam's Club because of the good price and excellent return policy, plus the fact that they had pulled all the Garmin765T from the shelf due to a factory software issue). As a previous Garmin user, I wanted to know if I could have multiple routes to recall at a later time. My experience with customer service has been very dissapointing. They said yes, I can save a route as a favorite, and then sent me links to instructions on how to save favorites. None of the links talked about saving routes! I emailed again and no luck either.

In regards to the 740, I like all the information it gives on the screen, though some people complain its cluttering, I do not think so, plus the fact that you can turn some of the items on/off, makes for the ideal soluttion.

In regards to your comment about lost live services, I only have experienced a very long connecting time, actually it never connected after about 2 minutes. So I tried to cancel and the GPS rebooted! This time it did connect and provided weather information.

Just my 2 cents...

An update on my 740 with no network access.
After I contacted customer service via telephone for the second time (at which point about 2 weeks with no network connection), I was told to send it back to TT (from whom I purchased it on-line), as it was probably "a hardware problem". The very day they received it back, they sent an email saying a unit was being shipped back to me. The same one repaired? Should arrive tomorrow. I'll let the forum know.

My understanding is that a batch of 740's when first released in the States were indeed faulty and would not make a network connection. They did indeed need to be returned to TT. Sounds as if yours was (is) one of that batch.

Do you still have a backup of the old device from when it was faulty?

If so have a look and see if the following two files are in the root of the device:

herclesdiscovery
servicediscovery

You can open these files with NotePad on the PC, as you now have a working device are these two files any different on the replacement unit relative to the original backup? - Mike

Strange as they were on my Live devices but not anymore, perhaps one of the updates got rid of them - Mike

I wanted to know if I could have multiple routes to recall at a later time.

Tomtom doesn't save "routes" as the idea behind IQroutes is that the "best route" changes based on the time of day. You can save itineraries (Itinerary planning - probably second screen of the menu). Itineraries are a collection of sequential stops and/or waypoints, which you can save for later. Just remember that due to the time-sensitive IQroutes, the Tomtom may route you differently between wayoints from one time to the next.

Mike / Gator - don't forget that North America and Europe are on different firmware releases, probably due to the Vodafone vs Jaspar service providers.

Europe = 8.351 (upgraded from 8.203 at release)
North America = 8.312 (from release, no updates offered)

Recap: After 2 calls to customer service re 740 unable to connect to network, I was asked to mail in the unit. I did so and the day after TomTom received it, they shipped me a new (or at least a different) unit. I was impressed by that!
The new unit arrived within a few days and I have been using it a week now. It has been working perfectly.
Hoping all's well that ends well. Thanks for the input from all.

that's what they told me 4 weeks ago ... and then two weeks ago and then 1 week ago and again yesterday ... I have 4 units all have the same problem and different people tell you different things ... today Cassy told me I had a bad SIM and I would have to send it in for repair ... NOPE ... send it back to Amazon !!! I am on my last one now ... I work in customer service for one of the largest companies in the US and we are so commited to solving the customers issues with one call resolution these days ... I can not even tell you how upsetting this company has been and everyone's story is the same ... they should be ashamed ... If I had to guess I would think they are failing !!!

would you please tell me what version you are running ? 8.312 or 8.35x ???

Have you connected it and done any updates since receiving the unit ?

Does the traffic info work or google ?

Thanks in advance ...

Ask a Question