New TomTom 740 User - Lat/Long format question

Hello all-

I have a new TomTom 740, and got the hang of it pretty quickly.

For work, we use lat-long in decimal degrees instead of degrees, minutes and seconds. Is there any way to program the 740 to convert lat long to decimal degrees?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all-

I have a new TomTom 740, and got the hang of it pretty quickly.

For work, we use lat-long in decimal degrees instead of degrees, minutes and seconds. Is there any way to program the 740 to convert lat long to decimal degrees?
Yes. You have the following choices:

DD.DDDDD, or
DD MM.MMM, or
DD MM SS

To access and modify, follow these steps:

Main screen - press
R arrow
R arrow
Status & Information
GPS Status
Configure

To access and modify, follow these steps:

Main screen - press
R arrow
R arrow
Status & Information
GPS Status
Configure

Well, you learn something new every day! I've never done it that way, I always go to Change Preferences / Set units/ Next / Next / Next .
But I think your way is quicker!

Incidentally, 'texasjarhead' just in case you'd missed it...

Did you know you can also display those Lat/Long. coordinates on the "Browse map" screen?

Once you are on the map screen (Main menu/Browse map) tap "Options" at the bottom and then "Advanced" and you can choose to show the coordinates of wherever the blue cursor is (and tap the map to move the cursor).

FWIW, this impacts only the displayed coordinates - when you go to enter a target with latitude and longitude, it doesn't care whether you enter it one way or the other - it's all the same to the unit.

Ask a Question