Tomtom 740TM no maps found on device

pep

Plugged Tomtom into computer and this message came up on my device. Tried to update and it says it does not fit. Well, there is nothing on my device as i cannot activate it . how do i delete everything and get this up and running again?

Plugged Tomtom into computer and this message came up on my device. Tried to update and it says it does not fit. Well, there is nothing on my device as i cannot activate it . how do i delete everything and get this up and running again?
Am guessing that 1) you tried to update maps before the message appeared, and 2) you're running on a Mac.

If both true, you'll find that the update failed to complete, Home left the deleted map files in your trash on your TomTom (a silly Apple way of dealing with deleted files on removable devices), and now you're jammed for space. Delete the trash on your TomTom. Attempt to perform the process again. If no success, reply here and we'll find the maps and get them loaded for you. May already be on your PC.

If I'm all wet on either 1 or 2 above, please advise what you're running for a PC (with OS) and detail what you did right before this all started to go south for you.

Last edited:
tried to update for a trip tom and i get this message, no maps.
very upset here, i should not have to pay for maps to re-install. Just need the original maps, us, and then everything get messed up, gps quickfix is somewhere

I have no idea what all of this means. and how to do this. I keep backing device up, but nothing is there,

how do i delete everything and get this up and running again?

First make sure you've entered your lifetime maps activation code at some point since you've purchased your maps.

Then go to Manage my Device in Tomtom HOME, and remove all maps on both your computer and on the device tabs.

Then quickformat the Tomtom drive.

Then go back to Tomtom HOME, and do "Update my Device" repeatedly, accepting only applications and nothing else, until there is no new application offered.

Then repeat "Update my Device" accepting the map and nothing else.

Then download your computer voice (eg: Susan), and quickgpsfix and fuel (if you are paying the subscription), and you're good to go.

Step by step.

First - since you have the TM model, you are at no risk of having to buy maps to get your unit working again.

DID you attempt to update the maps using a Mac before all of these problems started? If so, are you absolutely certain you have emptied the trash can that is specific to your TomTom, and how much space do you have on your 740 now? You will need about 1.6GB available memory to install the map files. That's the first step. If you do not yet see that kind of available space on your 740, please advise and we will make sure you get your trash successfully emptied on the unit.

I emptied it and still shows the same anount. I dont have enough room. I had this unit for 6 months. I do not think i have the activation code anymore. Yes, I went to upgrade maps, one area it said to pay and even then it wouldnt fit,

I guess i would need step by step directions and i will use my pc and not mac. But, if it doesnt properly empty i have no idea what is going on. what trash can are we talking about that is specific to my tomtom.

I dont have that memory avail
Please advise how much free memory your TomTom *does* have so we can get a sense of the size (both literally and figuratively) of the problem. Might be best to use your PC to answer that question.

Free Space 290.0MB device memory 1956.2 MB need to free up space 1380.5MB ,
Installed Items 1666.2 MB

Last edited:
Free Space 290.0MB device memory 1956.2 MB need to free up space 1380.5MB ,
Installed Items 1666.2 MB
Please use your PC and not Home to determine the remaining space on your unit. We don't trust Home to do this for a variety of reasons. Also, since we're going to be looking at what should be a "hidden" folder from OSX, we need you to do the review on that XP machine you talked about.

If you find that your XP PC confirms that the remaining space is only 290MB, then there are either still maps on the unit, or maps in the trash can waiting to be dumped.

Using your PC (not your Mac for now), look to see if there is a folder on your 740 called North_America_2GB. If there is, check the properties on that folder to get an idea of its size. It should be in the general neighborhood of 1.6GB in size if it still contains a full map set. Please advise what you find for size of this folder.

If the content of the North_America_2GB folder is considerably smaller than that, then look in the root directory of your 740 for a file called .Trashes -- if so, check the size of this folder. It should be very close to 0 bytes. If it's considerably larger (more than 1GB), it's still not empty. DELETE that folder. Let us know what you found in the way of .Trashes if you got to that point.

Where is root directory at. where do is start . trashes it says 1.25mb

Last edited:
Where is root directory at. where do is start . trashes it says 1.25mb
Never mind. It sounds like you found it. The "root" directory is the highest directory in a file system. Everything in the system exists there or below it.

OK - clearly you never did empty the trash with your Mac as was requested. Using your PC, DELETE the .Trashes folder from your TomTom. Then use your PC to tell us the amount of remaining space on your 740. The number will probably make sense, and we can get your map reloaded then.

after deleting .trashes it still says 1956.2mb on device memory. Installed items 1666.2mb

Last edited:
after deleting .trashes it still says 1956.2mb on device memory. Installed items 1666.2mb
What are you reading that says "Installed Items"? "Installed items" doesn't sound like Windows.

OK. The trash is removed (what little remained), so the bulk of what remains must be what's left of your map installation. Back to my previous question --

"Using your PC (not your Mac for now), look to see if there is a folder on your 740 called North_America_2GB. If there is, check the properties on that folder to get an idea of its size. It should be in the general neighborhood of 1.6GB in size if it still contains a full map set. Please advise what you find for size of this folder."

If you are not familiar with finding the size of a folder with its contents -- right click on the folder, and select "Properties" from the bottom of the list.

It's only 11:35 where you are, but it's after midnight here. Been a long day. I'm going to call it quits for tonight, and we can pick this up again tomorrow. Now that we have a pretty good idea what the state of your 740 is (do need the answer to the above question, though), anyone up early tomorrow will steer you through the rest of the process (mostly just killing off the existing map data) so you can get reloaded. Fellow moderator dhn always seems to be up and at it earlier on a Saturday.

No feedback from OP as of 5:58 am Eastern (and why the &^*!! AM I up this early on a Saturday, anyway? :eek: )

Ask a Question