Is there anyway to upgrade my tomtom 740 to 740TM?

I bought the 740 when it first came out and now I see they have a 740TM model. Do you know if there is anyway to "upgrade' to the 740TM for a nominal fee? However, I bet I will have to buy a new device all together.

Anyone in the same scenario?

Thanks,
Scott

I bought the 740 when it first came out and now I see they have a 740TM model. Do you know if there is anyway to "upgrade' to the 740TM for a nominal fee? However, I bet I will have to buy a new device all together.

Anyone in the same scenario?

Thanks,
Scott

As best as I can tell, there is nothing different hardware-wise between your device and mine. Only difference that TT CS confirms is that Lifetime map subscription services are being provided included in the price of the device along with a teaser subscription to Live Services.

To end up with an equivalent device, you would have to both subscribe to a "Live Services" subscription (~$10/mo, the 740TM Live deivice comes only with 3mos free live services -- so everyone with a 740TM Live device has to buy a LS Subscription if they want the live services to continue beyond the "free" 90day teaser period) and a Lifetime Maps subscription (the TM does come with the lifetime map subscription included in the price.)

I have heard, but not bothered confirming, that TT is offering disounts on the lifetime map subscription price. They are not cutting any deals at all on the Live Services subscription price even though in EU, the intro period for the LS subscription is now announced at 12mos.

The 740 and 740TM are identical devices. The TM includes Lifetime maps. They also offer lifetime RDS/TMC traffic, same as available to the non-live TomTom models with traffic. Live traffic is NOT free for life, which TomTom doesn't go out of their way to make clear. It requires a paid subscription on either model. So to answer your question, you really need just a lifetime map subscription. If you don't want live traffic and would be satisfied with standard RDS/TMC, you don't need a 740 anyway. :)

Ask a Question