TomTom 740TM Live

pep

Is there a plugin for it to announce street names?
I thought this model says it as your driving,
Turn left on Elm street. It will say after 500 yards turn left.
Thanks

Give "Susan" a try. She's always been very accommodating on both my 720 and 740 :p

i have a computer voice selected. Unless I am not setting it up properly. I think it is Susan. It will only announce street names when i setup the route by voice commands. not on my route.
It does talk on my route, but does not talk and say turn left on elm or take 101 south.

I dont know what version app i have for mac. All i get is error messages all over the place. This sucks

version 9054 It is either Susan or Simon. I have usan, she talks, but does not read the street names or address is what i am trying to say. What else do i need to do.

Last edited:
You could make sure that under Voice Preferences, you do have Announce Street Names checked.

Also, you could try uninstalling (using Home) your computer voices and then re-downloading and installing one of them.

I'd make a complete Finder backup first, though.

You could make sure that under Voice Preferences, you do have Announce Street Names checked.

Also, you could try uninstalling (using Home) your computer voices and then re-downloading and installing one of them.

I'd make a complete Finder backup first, though.

How do i do all of that?

For the backup, the following information refers to Explorer. You replace Explorer with Finder on a Mac.
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Home-->Manage my Device-->Device Tab-->Voices. Select the computer voices and choose to 'remove'

Then later in Home, Add Voices-->Computer Voices, select one to download & install.

I dont have explorer i have safari, and it gave me a message saying mounting failed when i am trying to download tomtom home

I am talking about Windows Explorer, NOT Internet Explorer.

If you have a Mac, then it is Finder which is the file manager involved.

I didnt do anything to it yet, But Susan was speaking street names today, Sometimes not always the best. All of my check marks were checked, maybe i had something not checked. I dont know. Will have to keep an eye on it. Anyways how do i get more computer voices other then Susan?

Use Home and go to Add Voices-->Computer Voices.

See if any are offered for your unit.

Only Simon English (uk) and i have Susan English (us)

anyway to get more? If i want to hear street names then these 2 are the only option? What is the point of spending money on
the simpsons, and other voices if they do not announce too much especially street names.

Only Simon English (uk) and i have Susan English (us)

anyway to get more? If i want to hear street names then these 2 are the only option? What is the point of spending money on
the simpsons, and other voices if they do not announce too much especially street names.
Yes, the number of "computer" voices that do text-to-speech = very limited. Only a few per language. TONS of non-text-to-speech voices out there. You need the Governator? Yeah, he's out there, too. Yoda? Yup.

As to the Simpsons: An excellent question. I guess it's cute to play with, and there are TomTom units that don't support text-to-speech, so for those units, a new voice now and then doesn't cost the user anything in terms of functionality.

I didnt do anything to it yet, But Susan was speaking street names today, Sometimes not always the best. All of my check marks were checked, maybe i had something not checked. I dont know. Will have to keep an eye on it. Anyways how do i get more computer voices other then Susan?

If Susan is mispronouncing some street names, you might be able to fix that by going to your map folder (usually "North America" or "Usa_Canada_and_Mexico") and look for the file cphoneme.dat. Rename the file cphoneme.old. Renaming the file causes TomTom not to find it or use it. This is safer than deleting the file. Then when ever you update your map, you'll have to do that again as a new cphoneme.dat file will be added.

Susan was mispronouncing the main hwy near our neighborhood. It's "Lantana Rd" and Susan was saying, "London - R Rd".

Ask a Question