No more space for map updates on a GO 740?

I just did an update of my GP 740 and it complains there's no space left on the device for map updates?

I had to remove QuickFix GPS, Fuel Prices and POIs before it said there was enough space to continue. Never seen that before.

Are the maps getting too big for these older units??

Just wondering if I'm the only one here...

If you right click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer (or its Mac equivalent) then click Properties at the bottom what information do you see about the size of the drive and how much is used.

The HOME app lists the total size available at 1956 MB. The North American map itself is 1831, plus the 39MB for the application. The standard voice is 46 MB. With sounds, etc it's telling me 8.4MB free. That's after having removed most of the LIVE services and something called 'Map Overlays' and the QuickGPS function. I don't keep other things (phone, photos, etc) on there. I've always just updated and gone on my way.

I guess my only option (if I still want LIVE) is to downgrade the map to USA only? Is that an option?

Arno you're a genius! Did not know that option existed. Unfortunately the only one I have is smaller than the internal memory. Looks like you have to run off one or the other? At least that's the option it gave me when firing up HOME. I guess I'll go grab a bigger one online. Thanks Arno!!

Make sure it is a SDHC, not a SD card and from a reliable company, SanDisk, Transcend or equivalent. 4 GB or maybe 8 GB, class 6+ for speed.

Thanks dhn, I've run into that with other devices and went to an office supply store and got a 16GB microSDHC. I've had good luck with those in the past.

However, my adventure continues:
1. Installed SD card, move items over.
2. Fuel Prices won't install: 'error, gas station not on your map'
3. Search forum, tried suggestion about deleting fuel price history - no luck.
4. Tried next suggestion, restoring from known good backup. No luck - my last backup was this afternoon after this issue.
5. I use 'Crash Plan' for backups - hey, I'll just restore a backup from a month ago!
6. Fiddle with Crash Plan, find files and a good date.
7. Crash Plan stops "unable to restore until we have synchronized"
8. Check Crash Plan support page "we are aware of some connectivity issues...our cloud engineers are actively investigating".

At this point, I'm going to chuck it into a river and take a bus. :D

4. Tried next suggestion, restoring from known good backup. No luck - my last backup was this afternoon after this issue.
I suspect that you may have been using Home for the back up, not Windows Explorer from the 740's drive letter.

Any time Home offers a map update or an OS update I first make a backup of the device and the SD card.

Exactly Arno - I plug it in, update it and go (pun intended). I may fiddle around with it some more, but am thinking of just going with a new 1535. Are the new ones any worse?

I may fiddle around with it some more, but am thinking of just going with a new 1535.
The Live version has advantages but no itineraries (just 3 waypoints, cannot be saved).
I would wait for a few months this time before upgrading.
In my opinion there is some good stuff coming down the line.

The Live version has advantages but no itineraries (just 3 waypoints, cannot be saved).
I would wait for a few months this time before upgrading.
In my opinion there is some good stuff coming down the line.
Good to know - thanks!

Exactly Arno - I plug it in, update it and go (pun intended). I may fiddle around with it some more, but am thinking of just going with a new 1535. Are the new ones any worse?
Are you still interested in resurrecting your 740 with a uSD card? If so, we can put you to rights easily enough provided that we can find a copy of your US/Can/Mex map folder somewhere on your PC, or even on the device itself. Moving things about without some care can confuse the poor thing. We firmly recommend putting the map on uSD and leaving all else in internal memory.

As for the GO1535 Live, it does not offer as many features as your 740 (it doesn't even include a dock), but it's certainly a serviceable enough unit. It all depends upon which features you consider most important.

The 'new new' stuff has only been released in Europe, and the Europeans have identified a great many shortcomings which may eventually be remedied, but like the GO1535 when it was brand new, features of the sort you'd find on a 740 are a bit scarce.

1) Easiest thing to resurrect the 740 is to MOVE everything from the internal drive to the SD card. Internal should be completely empty.

2) Then on the SD card, delete the file "internal.dat". Then disconnect from the computer and start up the device. If it gives an error that's OK.

3) Then connect to HOME (you need to do step2 first or else HOME will get confused). Chose "external" or "SD card" if prompted where to start up. For fuel, just go to Manage My GO and remove all fuel items under "Items on My Computer" and "Items on my Device", then go to "Update my GO" and it will give you fuel again, along with anything else missing..

1) Easiest thing to resurrect the 740 is to MOVE everything from the internal drive...

Worked like a charm! Thanks mvl! I've got my baby back...

And thanks to everyone else for the replies. I know times change, but it's sad they still don't make a new unit with everything the 740 has. I really only need the LIVE traffic, but the other items have been helpful in a pinch. I'll keep this going as long as I can and anxiously await the 'good stuff' Arno hinted at...

Just to add, on models like the GO940

Looks like you have to run off one or the other? At least that's the option it gave me when firing up HOME. !!

Home is confusing you there....
It's asking you for where to add NEW things.
All the more recent models (including yours) are able to run from either the internal memory or from an SD card OR BOTH.
Many people keep the system files etc. on the internal memory and put new maps onto the SD card

1) Easiest thing to resurrect the 740 is to MOVE everything from the internal drive to the SD card. Internal should be completely empty.

Although thet will work fine, I thought our "normal" advice was to do as I said above? (i.e. keep
system files etc.(and first map if it will fit!) on the internal memory and put new maps onto the SD card.

Moving everything onto the SD card is obviously advisable if the internal memory is showing signs of failing, but I'm interested to know why your advice now is to move everything, mvl?

Last edited:
There are a wide range of things that need to stay on the same drive as each other. If you put one on SD and one on internal it causes crashes or errors.

If I recall right, voices must be with the app. And I think the "maps" folder has to either be removed or be in the same spot as the actual map. I think fuel had to be with the map too.

I've long forgotten the specifics, so given the low cost of 8gb or 16gb SD cards, easiest is to just move the whole thing to SD.

"fuel_prices" definitely needs to go with the map folder, and one need be very careful not to have a duplicate copy of it on internal when trying to update it or it may refuse to update.
I can't remember if "Safety_Cam_USA_Canada.." files MUST reside on the uSD with the map, or whether that's just where they usually wind up courtesy of Home. To be safe, I'd stick them on uSD with the map folder.
As for voices, "LoquendoTTS" works just fine residing on internal with the map on uSD, as does a "voices" folder, if present.

Mine are too, I just can't recall what happens if they were to be left behind on internal. For fuel, it's a train wreck. Safety cams? Unsure. Likely the same, but ...

As safety cams are POIs (albeit slightly modified) then it's pretty clear they need to be in the map folder they apply to.

As for the folder actually called "maps" then IIRC, that stays with the system files... it doesn't need to be in the same storage location as the individual folders for the installed maps.

I can check that tomorrow if anyone wants me to.

Ask a Question