Need help with Tyre and TomTom Rider

HOME systray icon > "Find a location" > "Find a location". Then I entered the coordinates. The push pin indicates the position that relates to those coordinates.
Alternately, use the Map Share reporter at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/ as mentioned earlier and use "Find location". See results below.

Either method will indicate a point on the TomTom map. In this case, it was 'off road'. OP wanted to turn north there, but his Rider wouldn't be having any of that.

Attachments

• Bad Point.jpg
    Bad Point.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 332
FWIW, Bing doesn't show a road going north from there, either, and frankly, I think Google is being pretty generous calling it a road. Compared to all of the other dirt roads in the area, this one's a goat track.

Still hoping to hear if 34.80397, -118.58122 was intentional, and if so, if the OP really went north there.

Thanks to everybody for all the input and help.

I solved the issue with not seeing the record button. When I operate the Rider form the computer using TomTom home the record button doesn't show up, maybe this is because the program is smart enough to know my computer isn't leaving my desk anytime soon? When I hit the options button on the actual screen of the Rider the button is there, just as it should be.

What I have learned from everybody's help is that the best method seems to be:
A) Plan the route in Tyre
B) Upload it to the Rider
C) Select the itinerary and start navigation
D) Go to details and look at the map of the route the Rider has planned.

This shows me where the Rider is going to take me and I know if it is going where I want to go.

However, using this process I have come to a serious road block. I am planning a 1600 mile ADV Motorcycle trip in a few months doing a loop of the Northern Grand Canyon and Southwestern Utah. I have already planned the route in Tyre with an itinerary for each day. On every day of my trip there are one or more roads that I plan to ride that do not show up on the Rider map. All these roads show up on Tyre (based on Google maps) but they just don't exist on the Rider map. It seems to me if I can't get a different map for my Rider I will have to get a different GPS.

Are there any other options for maps for the Rider? Any third party maps that can be loaded?

Thanks again,
jgroenke

Sadly, no, there are no 3rd party maps for a TomTom. To be fair, the one that created a problem for you above probably isn't passable with a normal four wheeled vehicle (apart from an ATV) since it simply isn't wide enough. But I understand your frustration with the situation as your use model, although different from most, is certainly valid. Problem is - Google maps a lot of roads whether they are passable or not by anything short of an ATV or dirt bike. The automotive GPS manufacturers tend to stick with roads that could be traveled by a passenger car with decent ground clearance.

In such cases, you're going to want to take along some notes to deal with problem points that you have identified, and do a little dead reckoning work when you approach them. I'd be careful to create waypoints AT the intersection of the known and unknown roads, and name the waypoints such that it's clear when you see them that you're going to be deviating from a known road so you can quickly check your notes.

I wouldn't bet that the competition (Garmin) is going to have all of those 'goat tracks' mapped, either. You can create an account on the correction site for the source of Garmin's maps just as you can for TomTom at https://mapreporter.navteq.com/#dashboard to see whether your roads are mapped on their units or not.

If you can't deal with this issue with notes & etc., you MAY find that another device entirely (most likely an Android phone or similar) using Google's own mapping might be all that covers your route.

Thank you for your input. I did go look at my whole route and actually it's not that many places where I have a problem, and I also had the idea just to make some notes so I remember where they are. Maybe even print a picture from google of these areas and bring it along, I always have detailed maps with me in addition to the GPS. Searching on the web I did find a third party application to load Topo maps into the TomTom: http://www.worldinmyeyes.be/449/how-to-use-topographic-maps-on-tomtom-gps/
I'm not sure if I'm going to try this or not, it doesn't seem like a process for the faint of heart.

Thanks again for all your help, you sure are quick to respond. Are you affiliated with TomTom or just know a lot about this stuff?

jgroenke

None of us work for TomTom. Just a buncha schmucks who spend far too much time playing around with these things, and hope to help others make a few less of our own mistakes.

I've tried the map overlay game once or twice, and while it works, it is (as you have noted) a bit of pain to work with. All needs to be carefully aligned and defined. Be aware, though, that those are going to be just raster images, and aren't taken into account at all when it comes to routing.

I always thought TYRE is a great programme the way I used it but I use Google for all my trip planning.

The great benefit to me, of TYRE, was that it keeps addresses (= descriptions) and coordinates in separate registers.
You can give an address but move the coordinates or more often the other way around for me..
One benefit is a large shopping mall with multiple parking lot entrances but a single road address.
Initially, I made a custom POI category for places I wanted to visit in the UK and Ireland. Their description made with HOME didn't mean much as they started of with 1234 King Street but the town disappeared in the right margin on the device. Importing that into TYRE and renaming it to York Railway Museum or Uncle John, etc. made it easy to find them.

Ask a Question