map update questions

TomTom Model(s)
xl330s
Hi, I just bought the 330s about a week ago and am less than impressed. Things like telling me to make a right turn into the woods, showing me streets while driving that are'nt there, wrong street names, showing me a street that should be there and is not.It also has alot of trouble with addresses on state hwys in my area ( northwestern MI ) from Manistee to Traverse City to Gaylord. Telling me a lowes (for instance) was about 8 miles down the road, thats just the beginning. It seems find addresses on non-state hwys ok though. Other really small cities, with there own zip , get bundled with a nearby larger city and cant find addresses. I tried to update my map but got about half done with the download (about 50 mins worth) and quit, saying it was interrupted . So I hook it up to the computer today and it says I have a map update available. But I thought I would check with the experts on here to answer some questions first. When checking properties of the 330 it says I have a capacity of 979mb, 54.3 free, and 924mb used. When you update the map, which is 874 mb, is it gonna put 874 mb of info on it or just update the parts of the map need to be updated. I'm just wondering about a space issue, since I only have 54mb free. I'm assuming it would'nt put a whole new map on it.
I think the current map version I have is 8.080. I can get you more info about the unit if needed but you'll have to tell me how. Thanks for any help, Dave

Before doing anything else, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now then, tap the satellite bars on the unit. The next screen shows the application version number (maybe the 8.080). Then, tap the version number to see the map installed and the build number.

Sorry, these things confuse me more than my pc when it comes to backup or loading POI's... Could you give me a little direction on the backup? I have XP w\ IE 8. Thanks

Yep, your map is one version old.

Go here for complete instructions for backing up (and restoring) properly.

Thanks for help, I got r done. One other thing, Is there a way to set the icons on the map so you can touch them and it will give info for that poi?

Ask a Question