540 TM Europe Map Update Questions

A couple of questions. I have had the unit less than 30 days.

What is the latest version for Europe_North? Mine has v850

Latest map Guarentee. I have a map that is available in Home to download for Western and Central Europe at v855. But when I try to do so, it says it won't fit and wants to delete my North America maps. I have so far elected not to delete. Should I go ahead and do this? Seems risky, even though I have an finder (Mac) backup as recommended here.

Good Question. I was wondering about that yesterday since I received my 540 WTE TM 2 days ago. Here's what I did.

First off, I did a windows explorer back-up of my tomtom as it was shipped, in order to be able to return to something normal if I would lose a map...

Then, I updated my maps via latest map guarantee. I only updated the US, Canada, Mexico map, to see what it would do, but there was no need to do that, I could've updated everything at the same time. If you do that, Home will tell you you don't have enough space (go figure!) and it will ask you to choose a sector of Europe. What that will do is replace your complete Europe map with the sector you choose. It's no big deal, because once it is updated, you can follow the same steps and use latest map guarantee and either download another sector or the complete Europe map.

What I did, in Home, under Manage my XXL, was to copy my US/Canada/Mexico map to my computer and remove it from my device. After that, I downloaded the Europe map 2GB via latest map guarantee (since it would now fit). Then via Manage my XXL in Home once again, I copied the Europe map to my computer.

Now I have the newest Europe and newest US map on my computer, and I can choose which map I want to install. Now, it's a given that I can only have one of those maps on my device at a time, but I figured I probably never would drive from Europe to the US in my car, therefore would never need both maps at the same time.

With a Europe sector installed on your device, you can use latest map guarantee again and download the other sectors. I couldn't be bothered to download the other sectors since I had the FULL Europe map, and my downloads kept getting timed out.

Hope this answers your Q!

JF

Good Question. I was wondering about that yesterday since I received my 540 WTE TM 2 days ago. Here's what I did.

First off, I did a windows explorer back-up of my tomtom as it was shipped, in order to be able to return to something normal if I would lose a map...
Now I have the newest Europe and newest US map on my computer, and I can choose which map I want to install. Now, it's a given that I can only have one of those maps on my device at a time, but I figured I probably never would drive from Europe to the US in my car, therefore would never need both maps at the same time.
Hope this answers your Q!
JF

Hi there,

I might be wrong with the model number as I have a Go 940 Live with me and what you are talking about is probably a completely different model.

But in any case just wanted to share the information that if your device has a SDHC slot and can use cards bigger than 4GB, then you could have the additional maps on the SDHC card and the device would be able to use the maps on that as well.

On my 940 GO Live, I had to do the same - I had to move the USA maps onto the SDHC card before updating the maps on my device.

Going Back

I specifically bought this device because I do travel to Europe and then often fly into the US for more business before returning home to Canada.

The idea was that I just throw the 540 into by bag and go, not try to cram maps onto the device and home I don't get rerouted.

I have had Tom Toms for about 4 years and while I love the interface and accuracy its things like this that will drive me away. My first device had 4 replacement mounts before I got one that worked. Now I by a North American and European model only to find that Tom Tom increases the size of the map so it won't fit!! Incredible!! Back to Best Buy tomorrow for a refund

Ask a Question