Map update problem

I have a TomTom XL 340TM LIVE. I recently updated the maps to the fall 855 maps using TomTom's own HOME software. Now the HOME software tells me my map is more than 20 weeks old and Map Share corrections are temporarily unavailable. I've gone into the version information section on the GPS unit itself and verified that the 855 maps are installed on the unit. Why is HOME telling me my maps are out of date?

Because Home is a lousy piece of software and often gives users false information.

This is one such example that we're all seeing..........

Ignore it.

Thanks for the reply. I have one other question. For some reason my TomTom XL 340TM LIVE unit has a strange issue where it freezes and reboots when traffic reporting gets handed off from the FM traffic receiver to the LIVE traffic service. This happens once after I initially power on the unit but after that LIVE traffic works perfectly fine. Unfortunately the 30 seconds it takes for the unit to reboot and reacquire a GPS signal is an eternity while driving. I've tried removing and reinstalling the application. I've also tried using Windows Explorer to reformat the unit but I still have the same problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? TomTom refuses to acknowledge that this is most likely a bug in their software.

I believe fellow moderator mvl reports that what you describe is a known bug with LIVE units. He may respond here.

I experienced the same problem with my XXL540 S world traveller unit when I did the latest Home update and Map update. I contacted the technical suport people and we had to remove the North American map and the Home program and then reinstall all of the Home application and the latest map again. Be sure you save your Map CFG file with your favourites, recient trips etc. as the new file will be a clean version that came with your unit. When I replaced the config file with my saved version my unit was back to normal. Tech support said there was a problem with the latest HOME update. I do not know all of the sequence of events we did but tech support was very helpful.
Hope this helps.

I experienced the same problem with my XXL540 S world traveller unit when I did the latest Home update and Map update. I contacted the technical suport people and we had to remove the North American map and the Home program and then reinstall all of the Home application and the latest map again. Be sure you save your Map CFG file with your favourites, recient trips etc. as the new file will be a clean version that came with your unit. When I replaced the config file with my saved version my unit was back to normal. Tech support said there was a problem with the latest HOME update. I do not know all of the sequence of events we did but tech support was very helpful.
Hope this helps.

The bug I mentioned happened with the application that came with the unit. Updating the application to the latest version did not fix the problem. I did try removing and reinstalling the application through the HOME software per TomTom's instructions but this didn't work. I am now in the process of doing a Windows Explorer backup and reformatting the unit. BTW, is it normal for the TomTom XL340TM LIVE units to stutter when transferring data (the Please Wait screen on the GPS appears for a few seconds then disappears)? This stuttering normally doesn't happen with USB 1.1 flash storage devices when they're connected to a USB 2.0 high speed port on a computer. It usually indicates faulty memory was installed in the storage device.

I had an issue with my 540TM this morning and figure it was with the update.
As I was reading this thread preparing to call TomTom Support I tried mapping the same trip as this am on the computer (operate my device). It was very slow but all seems to work.

I then shut down Home, shut down the device, restarted, cleared the route, stuck it in a window and waited for a signal and did it again. OK, this time too.

Then I went out to the car and did the same with the traffic receiver attached and that seemed to work, too. I've got a long weekend to see if that may have fixed it or if I'll need to call next week.

Regarding the reboot issue when traffic reporting gets handed off from FM traffic to LIVE traffic, it seems a full format and reinstall fixed the issue.

If they haven't already done so, TomTom should really make it clear that if a LIVE GPS unit has this issue then every single last file and folder on the GPS unit needs to be deleted until you get the dreaded red cross or "x". Then you need to run HOME and it will install everything you need to use your GPS unit.

Removing and reinstalling the application through HOME will NOT work. Don't waste your time, just wipe your GPS unit clean.

"Files on computer"

This weekend, my XXL 540 started complaining that map was out of date. Performed an update with TomTom Home app, however after map download and install, map version on the device remains the same. There is now a new map and 2 x quickfix files appearing in the "Files on computer" list.
How do I transfer the new maps and quickfix files to the "Files on device" list?

Strange......

Anyway, use Home to Add maps and follow through as it shows the map on the computer. Select that to install.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your contents first.

Strange......

Anyway, use Home to Add maps and follow through as it shows the map on the computer. Select that to install.

Yep, that's exactly what I did. I used Home to check for the updated map. It then downloaded it and (supposedly) installed it.
However, the old map appears in the "Files on device" list, and the new map appears in the "Files on computer" list, along with two quickfix updates.
How do I install the "files on computer"? I can't find any option that actually does anything with the "files on computer". What exactly is this list used for, it's confusing!

Not Manage my Unit but Add Maps, right?

Put a checkmark beside the map on Device you wish to install.

Not Manage my Unit but Add Maps, right?

Put a checkmark beside the map on Device you wish to install.

Yeah, I already did that. Nothing happens except for the "Remove items from computer" button becomes available.
So what exactly is "Items on computer" supposed to do? The title says "Manage your navigation device", but there is no way to actually manage anything.
The title also says "Select the items you want to remove from your navigation device or computer".
Well I *don't* want to remove any items, I now want to transfer them from my computer and update them on the device. How do I do this?
This is very confusing and makes no sense, I should be able to update my new map and quickfix files from here.

EDIT: I checked everything again, and I think I've found what the problem is.
When I first start Tomtom Home, it looks for updates automatically. Tells me that "Your device is up-to-date".
However, when I click the "BACK" button to go to the main menu, it contradicts this with the following warning: "Your map has not been updated for 20 weeks. Unfortunately Map Share TM map corrections are temporarily not available".

Clicking on "Add Maps" doesn't solve this problem, it only presents me with adverts for buying new maps or buy a years subscription for map updates. I would almost certainly try buying the map updates if I was able to install them, but I'm reluctant to purchase anything until this issue has been resolved.

Clicking on "More" then "Manage my XL" presents the confusing "Items on device" and "Items on computer" screen, which seems to have no purpose except to remove files. There are different sized files on the computer compared to the device (25 MB map on computer, 13 MB map on device) however the version numbers are the same! Perhaps they are the same version, but this is possibly why the warning keeps coming up about the map being > 20 weeks out-of-date.

Last edited:
That error about mapshares out of date is faulty. Everyone who upgraded to 855 is seeing it.

You can use the information here to avoid Home when adding a new map:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Ok I think that I comprehend your instructions, thanks for that!
However after re-reading the first post and taking into account that others have found the mapshares feature to be faulty, I'm now even more curious as to why my device map is different in size to the computer map. Why are the sizes different? Why are the version numbers the same? What is the purpose of the confusing "Manage your device" screen?
I'm reluctant to extract and force a copy of the map onto my device until I know what is causing these errors.

Use Explorer to look for the new 855 map in this location:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Look in the compressed cab file for a .toc (table of contents) file to confirm it's a 855 map.

If the one on your unit is at 850 or olower then you'd want to install the newer one.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your contents first.

Also problems on 540TM after map update

I did the map update on my 540TM Friday but didn't use the unit until this morning. I power it up...let it acquire satellites...tap the Navigate To...the unit hangs...then it reboots...can't get around it. I did a full backup before the update. Any suggestions?

Jack Weintraub

Try copying the mapsettings.cfg from the backed up map to the new 855 map folder. Use Explorer.

Then connect the unit to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Unit) and Manage Favourites. Add one, delete one, edit one, doesn't matter.

Remove unit from Home properly (Disconnect Device icon) and see if it is better now.

Remove unit from Home properly (Disconnect Device icon) and see if it is better now.

Just for my own piece of mind, is this a failsafe method to restore all the backup files onto your device? I still can't work out what "Manage your device" is supposed to do, I would expect that I can restore all the factory default files by using "Items on computer". Perhaps I need to remove all the files from "Items on device" first? Please explain!

Well, I copied the mapsettings.cfg file from my pre-update backup to the corresponding directory on my updated 540tm. Then tried to run the emulator...unfortunately I get "An unhandled Win32 exception occurred in TomtomHomeRuntime.exe 15856" error, then TomTom Home crashes. Tried re-installing Home to no avail.

Ask a Question