Map removal

TomTom Model(s)
Live 1005 world
Hi guys , thanks for all the info on the questions that i have ask. Can you help with this one ? I a Go Live 1005 world , TBH i only wanted for Europe and North America , can I remove the unwated maps and if the need ever arises can they be reinstated onto my TT?

First .. why remove unused maps? You shouldn't be short of memory, and having the North American set shouldn't be bothering your operation in the UK or Europe.

That said .. technically, what you are describing should work. Since the MyTomTom and Nav3 systems have been fairly well ironed out, it should be possible to swap maps on and off your unit. However, I am not aware of a production user doing so with a World unit. That process is generally used only by users who are needing to do so due to memory limitations.

Ah .. didn't know the World version included S.A. over your way.

The process of removing and installing should all be clear enough when you're managing map content. Each will either show as resident on your unit, resident in 'your account', or for newly purchased maps, waiting for download.

So now that you've removed it, can you see it as in 'your account'?

S.A map deleted no idea of how to get it back . i am using "My TomTom" ..now only shows 5 maps instead of 6

I'd suggest a call to CS to investigate why the SA map is not showing in Manage Content as available to dl and install:

United Kingdom
0845 161 0009
or 020 7387 5444

Monday-Friday:
9:00am to 5:30pm GMT

Ah -- something we should have asked (and may help to correct things...)

To the OP:
What version does MyTomTom show if you use the systray icon and select Settings/About? What is the current code level of your 1005?

I ask, because earlier versions did not readily permit moving maps on and off the device.

the version says its up to date ..3.2.1055 . the reason I deleted the map is the more downloads I have on the TT it seems to be getting slower finding street names or favourites , so i thought if i freed up some room it might be quicker. It would be nice to know that I could get the map back but its no bigy , I am never going to go to S.A.

Having an unused map loaded on the unit should not slow down finding things since only the currently selected map is loaded to the device's memory and being searched. What else have you added to the unit that you think might have been slowing you down?

And not being able to get back the SA map really is a 'biggie' since although you do have an 8GB unit, it should be possible to move maps on and off the device at will, and you may have uncovered a problem that will bite you (or other users here) later. Your 3.2.0.1055 version is indeed current. What about the firmware version on your device?

I called TT's CS and learned nothing , the girl has sent all maps to my "manage content" even tho I told her it was only the S.A. map that I need ( turned out to be a good thing as I now have all maps on V9.05 ) I still dont know where S.A. went . As far as I can make out the only way to retrieve a map is to call CS.
The main reason I removed a map was to free up some room on my TT , as it stands after all the updates I only have 106mb left ,so its not going to be long before its full.

So the SA map was among those she sent to you?

Nice to hear that you may have had an 'update' in the process.

If you have the right model of 1005 World, it will be a microSDHC, Class 6 or better. What are the first two digits of your serial number? Those that start with SQ have the slot, but those that start with SJ do not (if I have that right).

It's a go live 1005 world with an SD slot , I am sure I read somewhere that it takes an SD card or a micro SD card with a holder, some people are saying its just the micro version.

As wasn't happy that I couldn't remove maps and reinstall them to my TT I followed up with an email , this is the reply.
Thank you for contacting TomTom, This is Marina following up,

Your device internal memory is 8 GB. So it can hold more than one map and no need to remove the map.

Any time you want to remove the map you can contact us, and i want to inform you that the option of removing the maps will be available for the customers soon,

It's a go live 1005 world with an SD slot , I am sure I read somewhere that it takes an SD card or a micro SD card with a holder, some people are saying its just the micro version.

Nope, it's a microSD card slot or nothing on that model. Definitely not a full-sized SD slot.

Thanks for the definitive answer , I am going to get an 8gb one , but the price range is huge .. £4 - £24 ,can anyone recommend a card ?

As canderson said:
microSDHC, Class 6 or better.

To be honest there's not a lot of point going faster than Class 6 as the extra speed won't be used by the TomTom.

Don't buy cheap un-branded ones, stick to decent brands like Sandisk, Kingston, Transcend etc.

Ask a Question