Map Problem! Help!

I apologizes if a same thread already exists but need help urgently.
Never had a satnav before in my life myself. I used one of my family member garmin. One day it stopped working due to unable to load the maps. I thought i broke it so i went to get a new one. In the end i bought a TOMTOM XXL IQ Routes Edition. It included maps of 42 European countries which was very good as i have to travel a lot in Europe.
Went home, downloaded TT home as few my friends advised that there might be some updates to a maps, speed cameras, etc...
Any way as i connected it to laptop, there was few updates. I clicked update. Unfortinately, it was to big for my memory on a satnav. It advised to choose a map zone . i have choosen a Western zone.
It took about an hour to download updates and install it on a sat nav. I decidet to check if it works fine and try ed to type a destination i want. Sadly, it sad that it cannot find it.
After i had a little think it got me, that i only have a maps of zone i downloaded. For example, to get to Latvia from Uk, i have to use 2 zone, which means to stop half way the trip and change map zones.
As i bought a TOMTOM i could type any country and any town in Europe and it would show directions but now it will show only directions which included in that zone.
Now, my question is, is there any possible way, to get it to work as it was before i updated it??? As pretty much ?150 was wasted as i am not going to be changing map zones half way a trip.

If you have a back up of the device you could load that to regain the full European coverage as supplied with the device when you purchased it.
If you don't have a back up then one option is to load the zonal maps you need to a laptop and switch maps while on the road (not very viable IMHO) Alternately send the unit back for a full refund as unfit for the intended purpose due to the restictions imposed on the units use post a TomTom supplied update - Mike

Welcome to TTF.

Did you make a backup (hopefully, Explorer.......not Home) prior to your updates? If so, you can restore from there.

Your model does not have a separate sd slot unfortunately. There is a way to get all of Europe if it did.

Finally, I'm not sure what zone your second choice is BUT, depending upon the zone, more than one can fit on the unit at the same time.

Check and see............

Manage my Unit, Device, Maps, change zone.

Thank you very much for welcoming me and trying to help!
Unfortunately no, i did not made any backups as i didn't know how all this thing and that is getting updated.
To drive the route i mostly use i need to have a Western and Eastern zones. I could carry laptop and change the zone when i need to but its not really convenient.
How to load few zone in my satnav i don't know. It show that it has just under 2gb of memory and each zone weights about 1.5gb
I assume that the only way is try to get my money back now.

With the device you have you are restricted to a single zone due the maps size and the rather small amount of memory installed to the device.

With no memory card slot you cannot expand the available memory.

Also consider the time it takes to transfer around 1,5GB of data to the device from the laptop to switch the map, its in the order of 60+ minutes which isn't good - Mike

U sad exactly as i wonted to say but due to my English language limitation it isn't always straight to the point:D

Hi!

I have experienced the same problem as Gizzy here.
I plugged the device into my laptop, and there wher a map update, and I also choose to install a map zone. The installation crashed. ButTomTom Home could see the original map still beeing there. But the device sayd that there where no maps, and I should reinstall or smething like that. And so I did.

And I ended up with a map over Southern Europe. I bought an new map rhrough TomTome Home, but of course, the map on 2 GB wouldn't fit into my unit since the HD size is 1,8 GB or something like that.

I contacted TomTom support yesterday here in Norway. And they could help! :thumb: They only needed the prrof of purchase. Talked to them today, and there is nothing they can do, because of the recent map is over 2 GB. And they said that after I reminded them about it.... :rant:

I the support said that I should see a warning, and be adviced to perform a backup. But unforunatly, there were noe sutch message.

Have contacted the reseller, so I hope they can help me. According to Norwegian laws, I should get a refund or a new device because of this.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the name of the folder containing the original map?

I think I have all the files, except the map. And if so, I should be able to "recover" back to the orignail settings.

Ask a Question