Help! Problem installing maps.

I'm having problems with a Tom Tom XL I bought from the States.
When I came back to UK, I wanted to buy a Western Europe map for it, and discovered it only had 1gb of memory. So I backed up the US map, deleted it from the Tom Tom and the paid 60 quid to buy the Western Europe map from Tom Tom. This downloaded to my pc, but isn't installed on the Tom Tom although I seem to have enough space (just) on the Tom Tom to take the map.
When I tried to reinstall through Home, I get the following message (I'm using Google Chrome as a browser).

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: J:\Western_Europe_1GB\cline.dat
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
000003EE
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1058
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:08:46 GMT

Any help or hints on how to reinstate my device gratefully received (now I don't have any maps on it, nor am able to get either the US or the Europe map to work).

From the looks of the error, the cline.dat file may be corrupt. Did you use a wireless connection for the download? If so, you should try a connected computer.

Go here (using Explorer):
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\ and rename to C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\DownloadsOLD\

This should offer another download of the purchased map to try again.

Another suggestion to try is to install the map without using Home. Instructions are here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Thanks, I tried all of these and now the machine just freezes at the first screen when I try to switch it on.
When I go into Home, it says the device is using most of it's 1G memory, suggesting the map is there, but it doesn't show the map on the file manager list.
I did copy the map and activation files after extracting them from the RAR download, but I copied it directly from my PC explorer to the Tom Tom map directory. Could this be the problem? When I tired any other way, I hit problems.

Have you tried a reset on the unit? Press the power button for about 10 seconds.

What map is on the unit right now. Look at the contents using Explorer to see. And is the .mets.dct file in that map folder as well?

Hi
Yes, I've tried to reset and it sticks at the first screen.
The .meta.dct file is on the Tom Tom, located in the Western_Europe_1GB folder in the main root directory. There are several files in here, including cline.dat, cname.dat and cnode.dat. There are also these .dat files:
faces
mapinfo
poi
tmccodes
traffic
The there is a .pna file, Western_Europe_1GB.pna
There is a Western_Europe_1GB-140.meta
and finally
Western_Europe_1GB-140.meta.dct

If that helps :)

Don't know if this helps but download and run the clear flash tool from here:
tomtom.com/6211

Run it 3 times.

Thanks for the response.
Tried this, didn't work. I'm going to try again and see what happens, but if I don't post "eurika" then it's still not working!

Still not working. It looks as if it's going to reboot successfully, it gives a click on the Tomtom XL screen, it brightens, and then freezes dead.
Another annoying thing - the first thing I did when I connected to the PC was perform a backup through Tom Tom Home. But when I try and restore, it says no back-ups available. Why?!!!

Now you know why we suggest NEVER using Home for backups and/or restores.

Connect to the computer. Do an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hiiden files/folders are showing.

See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit. NO folders or their contents, only the files NOT in a folder.

Connect to Home. You should be offered an application. Accept & install. Disconnect the unit properly (using Home's Device Disconnect icon). Turn off the unit. Restart.

Does that help?

Thanks. I'll have to try this later in the week though as I'm off to London for a few days. I'm driving. Hope I can find where I'm going with my trusty old road atlas, which never needs rebooting.

when you get back, try these steps:

My guess is that you got an XL325 or XL330 with a defective application 8.081 or 8.082. They cause IO errors just like you are reporting. Go to "update my XL" in HOME, and accept the update to app 8.083 when offered. Don't install anything else except the app for now.

Once the app is installed (8.083 fixes the IO errors), run a chkdsk /f /r on the Tomtom, then close/reopen HOME and try installing the map.

Problems with downloading maps and HOME

Ok.... sorry to abruptly join the conversation but I'm in the same boat. I did not do a back up without HOME. I was not aware of the problems that creating a back up with HOME one may have. I bought a Western Europe map and I'm in the process of installing it to the device. The device has already been erased to make room for this Western Europe file. I accidentally found this forum because I was questioning that the download of the Western Europe map was taking forever.
It's over 2 hours now and nothing substantial is shown in the TomTom HOME,and after almost 2 hours not even 10% has downloaded. So I found that I could install the map without using HOME. The problem is that I'm affraid when I go to check what's in the Download Map Complete, I see the name of the map, but when I click on that folder it is empty. I have already taken the steps to not hide extensions and to show everything so I really don't know what's going on.
I just paid almost $90 for a map that I cannot use, and I'm nor sure I'm able to go back to the US map that I my device had originally installed from the factory. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

I just paid almost $90 for a map that I cannot use, and I'm nor sure I'm able to go back to the US map that I my device had originally installed from the factory. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Backup using this link of whatever state the Tomtom is in.

Then in HOME, go to update my XL and keep updating application only until it has no new application to offer. Then quickformat the Tomtom, then go to HOME and do update my XL again until it gives you your map and application.

Ask a Question