LIVE Subscription Pricing

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I just received an email from TomTom reminding me that my free trial of LIVE services has expired. This email contained three "buy now" links - one for monthly at $9.95, 6 months prepaid at $59.95, and 12 months prepaid at $119.95. So, the longer the service period I commit to, the MORE I pay per month? It really amazes me how simple math eludes people when they're creating a pricing model.

This reminds me of McDonald's - ice cream cones for $0.99 each, or two for $1.99! I love the confused looks I get from the counter help when I tell them that I don't want two - I want one, and another one.

Be aware of this.....

People in Britain who subscribed to Live on a monthly basis stumbled over the fine print somewhere such that you must give TT one month clear warning when you want to cancel. Subscribe, for example, on August 1, cancel on August 2nd, you still get docked for September and some users even find that another month (October in this example) gets its payment deducted as well since October is the first absolutely clear full month.

AT&T wireless (the old one) tried the same process of requiring early warning before termination. A huge class action suit later, they paid all departing customers around half a month in settlement payments. Tomtom will get their pants sued off of them if they attempt to bring those British pricing policies here.

And my favorite pricing:
- 10-piece McNuggets: $3.99
- 4-piece McNuggets: $1.00

Last edited:
Hmm... maybe I should have read the terms and conditions (more carefully, I mean). I originally thought that LIVE subscription pricing might be beneficial to users with an infrequent need for traffic info and fuel prices - allowing them to subscribe for a single month when needed (i.e. a vacation or business trip). This cancellation requirement may put a damper on that.

I just received an email from TomTom reminding me that my free trial of LIVE services has expired. This email contained three "buy now" links - one for monthly at $9.95, 6 months prepaid at $59.95, and 12 months prepaid at $119.95. So, the longer the service period I commit to, the MORE I pay per month? It really amazes me how simple math eludes people when they're creating a pricing model.

This reminds me of McDonald's - ice cream cones for $0.99 each, or two for $1.99! I love the confused looks I get from the counter help when I tell them that I don't want two - I want one, and another one.

LOL, I noticed this a little while back... I looked at it and thought to myself "this doesn't seem right"... even made me break out the calculator, lol.

Some people need to pull their heads out of their little 5x5 cubicle and pay more attention customer relations and basic math.

Is the Fuel price option worth being there?

I just bought a 740 Live and love it. The Live Services have their advantages but to have gas prices that could be five days old is not useful. It will give you a station with a price of $2.56 - you drive to the station and find $2.69. You have passed five stations in the past couple miles that had the same price. Outside of calling the station before driving there- the fuel price option is useless!!!

Last edited:
Yours is one post I definitely should NOT be replying to :)o) as I don't have a 740 nor do I have Plus services for gas prices...

Having said that, I think (verrrrrrrrrrry thin ice here) I saw a post someplace where the user switched the gas option to show a different blend of gas and then switched back to his normal blend and found the data refreshed with more current pricing...........

Do not bet the mortgage on what I've said, whatever you do! :D

Even though the prices may not be exact, i find that the relative prices are accurate. The cheapest in the area will probably still be the cheapest, regardless of the actual prices.

Ask a Question