Tomtom XL Live IQ - HD traffic asks for subscription

Hello, just bought a TomTom XL Live IQ and am having the devil's own game getting it to work.

I bought it last night, stuck it on the dashboard, and the unit would not connect to HD traffic - just a grey bar, triangle, and a error message saying that it could not connect to the HD traffic server - and an error code 148. This was with the default username anonymous.

Took it back to the hotel, downloaded home with my laptop and connected it. Logged in under my old username, and it asked me if I wanted the device to replace my old (long dead) TomTom. Answered yes, tried to update but just got lots of server errors!

Got home today, downloaded and reinstalled TomTom Home on my desktop, connected the new XL and it worked much better, downloaded a load of new software (about 3 hours worth). After a restart, tried the HD services, and it asked me for a username and password. Tried my old password, and everything apart from the traffic worked. when I tried the traffic, I just get a messaging saying that I do not have a subscription for the this. This is despite the device confirming - when I press "My Services" - that I have a 12 month subscription!

I thought that it might be a problem with the old account, so I created a new account, and logged in under this. The device behaves in the same way - everything apart from the HD traffic works.....

I wonder if anyone can offer help! I am getting most frustrated, and TomTom phone support have gone home for the weekend.....

I don't know if this will help you but I am a new owner 2nd day today. I bought it from best buy, It is a Tom tom XL 350-M. I unboxed it in the car and used it to do my driving home.
Once at my PC, I connected it with the USB and I hadn't set up my account yet, I just did my downloading updates. This totally broke the tom tom, it said no maps installed. But the map was on there 1.7GB of maps, but it said it wasn't activated and I didn't have an activation code.I spent over 5 hours on this problem and ended up not going to bed until midnight.

The problem, you see, is everyone says you need to do a backup. this caused my problem. I backed it up after I screwed it up. What I ended up doing to fix my problem was wiping the entire tom tom, erased everything in H: drive and deleted all backup files on my computer. After that, you need to restart Tomtom Home make sure you are logged into your account with the subscriptions you entered your promotion codes into. Then plug in the device. Go to tomtom update and it will see that you are missing all the software it needs. I let it download for a few hours to re-aquire the maps, voices, applications, everything you need. Works good now.

The trouble I had is the update function will not work if you have updated, but non-activated backups on your computer

The problem, you see, is everyone says you need to do a backup. this caused my problem. I backed it up after I screwed it up.
Which is why we recommend you always back up FIRST, and always use your PC's copy function to do it, not TomTom Home.

Not actually sure whether backing up the TomTom would have solved this problem - seems like it's something to do with the subscription information not being properly added to the account?

I can see that TomTom home asks for a code - there was nothing in the box that resembled a code - should there be? Is there something I have to do to enable the HD traffic? Or should it work straight from the box?

Thanks, Iain

Not actually sure whether backing up the TomTom would have solved this problem - seems like it's something to do with the subscription information not being properly added to the account?

I can see that TomTom home asks for a code - there was nothing in the box that resembled a code - should there be? Is there something I have to do to enable the HD traffic? Or should it work straight from the box?

Thanks, Iain
No - that backup comment was just for Michael.

All of the other Live services work? And was a map update to 850 part of the stuff that you were able to download once your unit was properly registered on their end with a new account?

Last edited:
Hi,

I too have an XL Live IQ Routes edition, that I got yesterday. I've updated everything, and backed everything up using TomTom Home. Its showing as having a years subscription on there, and I've setup an account with my email address and password, and put these details onto my TomTom device.

Now, if I operate the device through TomTom Home, the HD Traffic works fine after taking a moment to connect. The first time I then use the device after disconnecting from my PC the HD Traffic will still work. But if I turn it off and back on again it doesn't connect to HD Traffic until I select it through the LIVE Services menu. It then says "connecting to server" but just leaves me with a gry bar on the right hand side with an orange /!\. When i press this it tries connecting to the server then says "You need a suscription for this tomtom service (your current subscription may have expired). Visit tomtom.com for more information."

But if i go into the TomTom Live menu, it shows that I have a valid subsciption until 15/07/2011!

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Hiya i know how you feel, i got a TT XL IQ Route for my B'day last week, all was fine for a day, then decided to update the next day.

Everything was ok, but the HD Traffic stop working, so i thought i messed up my subscription (1 year free) So like a numbtee i when & brought the 12mth package, for ?47.50

My subsciption now ended 10th july 2012, This still didnt solve the problem.

I join this site hoping i could get help, (nothing again the site) but i can see their a few other people with the same problem.

One the MODS said give TT customer services a call. 0845 161 009

I called yesterday after work at 1730, only for them to answer like 1800, i explain all i could, person said because of time we cant actually do anything right now.
Monday will be the best time, can i sent them my TT system information in a email.

I asked about getting my ?47.50 back he said he cant help me on that, will need to speak with mangement?

But whot he will do is give a next 3mths subscription, (now expires on 24th Nov 2012) while we was talking i seen my TT Replanned, like if i updated something, He added the 3mths Straight away, said i've been Level 2 or something like that.

He did say he can see my problem & will have a engineer fixed on monday shouldn't have to call them again.

If monday comes & they dont fix it, i will be getting a refund on this TT, an then i have to try get my ?47.50 back (Ie a upgraded not needed as my current subscription aint runout as yet)

Sorry if abit long winded.

No - that backup comment was just for Michael.

All of the other Live services work? And was a map update to 850 part of the stuff that you were able to download once your unit was properly registered on their end with a new account?

Yep, so far I am onto my second huge map update - plus application updates. Weather, Google and fuel prices work. The "new" account thing you mentioned _ I wonder if this is the problem - because I tried to add the unit to an existing account... Took it back to Halfords yesterday where I bought it, they were pretty helpful and managed to get through to TomTom support. So now I have an support ticket open.

I dont think adding the unit yo your old account is the problem;

I'm a new user, with a new TT and a new account, and I'm having the same problem. I think they must have messed something up in the most recent update.

I dont think adding the unit yo your old account is the problem;

I'm a new user, with a new TT and a new account, and I'm having the same problem. I think they must have messed something up in the most recent update.

Just had an email from TomTom support - they are "unable to offer an immediate solution" and have escalated this to 2nd level support. Presumably first level support consists of "Turn it off and on again".

I also tried the solution of hooking it up to TomTom Home and using the computer to control the unit. As explained above, this also worked for me, with the device connecting perfectly to the traffic servers, and also doing so for one further instance before stopping working again... I have sent them another email, and hopefully I should get a response reasonably quickly.

Same problem

Bought an XL Live Europe just over a week ago.

Device was working for HD Traffic when first out of box but after updating it in TT Home its not worked properly with HD Traffic since. I seem to be able to get it working via the TT Home 'Operate my device' option sometimes but it mostly fails.

I already had a call resolved with TT as it only had a 3 month subscription when bought so I assume it was 'old' stock, anyways they added the 9 months + 1 month free but since i have noticed another 9 months has been added too taking into May 2012. :)

I personally think the issue may lie at the other end i.e. with the server that the builtin phone links to, maybe its overloaded or doesnt have the capacity for all the devices connected at same time ? Weather, Google and fuel prices all work fine.

One thing I have noticed is that updates sometimes 'fail' in TT Home due to 'Server' errors and it makes me wonder if because a particular update has failed it may have put a corrupted file on the device that needs replacing however this doesnt explain why it works sometimes .

I have a new ticket in with TT about the 'Subscription' error when copnnecting to Traffic as well so lets see who gets the answer first and can give us all the solution with luck.

Thought I had it cracked for for a couple of minutes - downloaded the flash clearing tool from TomTom and HD Traffic started working after running it twice, problem is after turning device off and on again its now NOT working for traffic again, even after clearing with flash tool, no joy

TT customer services have been true to their word?

Switched on after work, seen the replanning thing.

Bingo all working fine now, dont know for how long?

CHEERS GUYS.

I still be visting thanx.

Update from TomTom support

Would appear they have issues with linking Subscriptions to Accounts relating to HD Traffic.
Lets hope it is as simple as this

"I cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this challenge. I have sent your question to our 2nd line technical department. they will be able to make a change to your subscription which should make the services available again

Once this is done we can migrate your other services over to this account

I hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query"

All sorted now

TomTom have resolved the issue now

They made some changes at their end and asked me to do a Factory reset following by a soft reset when language choice screen appears

It works perfectly now

Attached it to TT Home after this and noted a newer version of Application 9.054 was available, was nervous about installing it but all went well and so far its working like a dream

I've been bumped upto Support Level 2, but given no actual support as of yet.

I noticed the 9.054 update, so am Installing that now to see if anything changes...

Did your subscription dates change to May 2012 as well ?

Just curious if this is part of the fix or a freebie for your troubles as they didnt mention it in any communications to me. :)

Ask a Question