LIVE Services Cancellation - SNAFU

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
Yes, I mean SNAFU, as in System Normal, All *%(% Up.

I've been using the monthly LIVE Services since getting my Go 740 almost 18 months ago. Two months ago they finally managed to get auto-renewal to work. With all the problems they've had with software updates causing problems with LIVE Services, and server connectivity issues, I decided to cancel on September 17. At that time my subscription was set to expire on October 26. I knew that I had to call 30+ days in advance to cancel - so I did.

All was well and good until I got my credit card statement covering the period including September 27. TomTom charged me for another month of LIVE Services - extending my service through November 26. I called yesterday to address this. The rep I spoke with confirmed that there was in fact a request on September 17, but for some reason the cancellation was not processed. After talking to some other department/person, he confirmed that the cancellation would be processed within the next 24 hours.

As of last night, my service has been cancelled, with an expiration date of June 25 (appearing on my device). When I called today to find out about the services I should still be getting through October 26, I was told that the cancellation takes place 30 days from the day you cancel, as opposed to at the end of a renewal period. It turns out that not only did they cancel my subscription effective yesterday, they have no plans to refund my payment (that they should have never collected) for the period from October 27 through November 26.

I was about to escalate the call to a supervisor when my son arrived home from school with a fever. I politely thanked the rep for his time/effort and clearly stated that I would be calling back for a supervisor, and that I would dispute the charge to my credit card if necessary, but that my problem was not with him, but with the company/policy/procedures.

(Part of my frustration comes from the fact that I planned on comparing TomTom's LIVE traffic with Copilot's ActiveTraffic over the next week, and now it appears that I will be unable to do so.)

I think I have reasonably conveyed the details here. Am I in the wrong, and don't know it?

Nope, you're right.

I've been happy as a clam with my long term subscription. Tomtom just can't seem to get any LIVE renewals done properly.

I've seen the back and forth on the Live renewals in a number of threads now... My first "Live" 90 day is about to expire. I'd probably go ahead and do the 1 year renewal if I was confident that I could get it right. As I understand, the best approach to not having things explode is to wait for the existing 90 day to actually expire (I've seen the heartburn if you try to renew prior to expiry), and - then what? Best next move is ...?

I don't remember if I renewed during the first 90 days or not - that was 15 months ago.

Another call today and I didn't get a refund, but I got LIVE services for another 2 months from today, which should give me ample time to compare with Copilot's ActiveTraffic.

During the call I remembered my original reason for cancelling - so I could switch to a 6 month non-renewing service, since the non-monthly plan seems to work well for MVL.

Ask a Question