Lifetime

I recently bought a 340TM XL Live - Lifetime edition. I'm very happy with it. When I purchased it, I was told that the word "Lifetime" meant that I had lifetime traffic updates. But now I've read that my trail period runs out in three months.

Can someone explain this?

Thanks.

I recently bought a 340TM XL Live - Lifetime edition. I'm very happy with it. When I purchased it, I was told that the word "Lifetime" meant that I had lifetime traffic updates. But now I've read that my trail period runs out in three months.

Can someone explain this?

Thanks.
"Traffic" comes in two flavors -- the "Live" version that uses the internal cell modem, and the "RDS" flavor that uses the cable with the little oval on it that was included in your kit. The "Live" version covers more roads and is more up to date than the "RDS" version. "Live" makes inquiries of traffic servers over the internet as needed using the same process you might use to access the internet with your cell phone. RDS picks up whatever info is available to the FM stations that broadcast the traffic information on unused parts of their audio bandwidth (ClearChannel stations).

The "RDS" is yours to use for as long as you keep your unit and they're still supporting RDS.

The "Live" version ends with all the rest of your Live services after 3 months unless you pick up a subscription.

Ask a Question