Issues/problems with map 920

Any issues or problems with installing 920 should be discussed in this thread.
doing a backup right now. pc says it will take about 40 minutes approx 1.75 gb., 605 files.
I def. want to save this because it was a special update that significantly made my xxl 540 more peppy. I am a bit concerned that the newer app 10 and above don't allow direct file access thru a file manager. makes me wonder what I'll do if my old xxl 540M ever dies. I have gotten very attached to this model over the past several years.

Not to worry. Your XXL540 will never move to 10.X code. You'll be on 9.X code forever, and will have access to your file system. ? You're talking about the device's firmware anyway. 920 is the map version. Good that you're doing a backup first, though.

after I installed the latest map I noticed ..file fragment files in the root directory of the device. I deleted them. I can't remember how many there were, maybe 6 to 8 files. right after that, I learned...that these were not like Windows lost file fragments and were in fact needed files. so I found the recycle bin to try and undelete, but to my shagrin, they were not there!!! luckily, I had made a backup first ..but that was the previous version. however I copied back the files I thought I deleted, but at this point I felt like I had made a mess. the only way was to just reboot and see what happens. when I do reboot, I found it did update to the latest map, and operation appears normal. whew~~ but my question is how come the recycle bin didn't have the files I deleted...what happened to them after I deleted them? also, will it be ok what I did...which was to copy similar files from my last backup and use those to replace the ones I deleted that were identified as lost file fragments by windows?

if anyone has the same device as me...xxl540. could you copy the files in your root directory windows identifies as file fragments...and let me have them...this would be after your latest update to map 920 of canada/usa/mexico. there is around 6 to 8 of these files around 16-17 mb altogether. I deleted mine by accident. thanks.

Last edited:
DO NOT EVER DELETE THOSE CHK FILES! TomTom uses the extension *.chk for their own purposes, and these files are important to the operation of your unit!!! They are NOT Windows 'file fragments'!

No idea why you were unable to find them in the recycle bin. That's usually only an issue if the files are too large, and these are not. I assume you're using Windows?

Anyway, these files aren't map related -- they are created as part of the firmware. IF you have not updated firmware since your backup was created, the *.chk files that you have copied from your backup will be fine as they are.
You should have the following, IIRC, though someone with a 540 should feel free to correct my list:

data.chk
data_im1.chk
data_im2.chk
data_is1.chk
data_is2.chk
data_lim.chk
data_lis.chk
data_ra.chk
data_sp.chk
data_ts.chk

DO NOT EVER DELETE THOSE CHK FILES! TomTom uses the extension *.chk for their own purposes, and these files are important to the operation of your unit!!! They are NOT Windows 'file fragments'!

No idea why you were unable to find them in the recycle bin. That's usually only an issue if the files are too large, and these are not. I assume you're using Windows?

Anyway, these files aren't map related -- they are created as part of the firmware. IF you have not updated firmware since your backup was created, the *.chk files that you have copied from your backup will be fine as they are.
You should have the following, IIRC, though someone with a 540 should feel free to correct my list:

data.chk
data_im1.chk
data_im2.chk
data_is1.chk
data_is2.chk
data_lim.chk
data_lis.chk
data_ra.chk
data_sp.chk
data_ts.chk

I have all of those files present except two of them. the im1 and is1 files are missing.

I have been testing the unit and everything seems up to date, I even updated the map corrections, and it seems to be operating with good response.

I don't know if the two files are missing or if they ever were present to begin with. but, I vaguely recall when I deleted the new ones, there did not seem to be 10 there, only about 8.
the remaining mystery is why they were not available in the recycle bin. I think I'm gonna be ok now., but wow , did I learn.

One thing you evidently learned earlier was the value of a full backup of your unit! As we've often said -- apart from hardware damage, if you've got a copy of your last functioning state, we can usually help you out of just about any ditch you can get yourself into. I keep backups several versions of firmware and maps .. just in case!

I have all of those files present except two of them. the im1 and is1 files are missing.

I have been testing the unit and everything seems up to date, I even updated the map corrections, and it seems to be operating with good response.

I don't know if the two files are missing or if they ever were present to begin with. but, I vaguely recall when I deleted the new ones, there did not seem to be 10 there, only about 8.
the remaining mystery is why they were not available in the recycle bin. I think I'm gonna be ok now., but wow , did I learn.

540 is a separate drive & probably has it's own recycle bin that is a "hidden" file; you can try to un-hide it using windows file/folder settings, the exact steps depend your version of windows.

@Alex
That is the Mac way of doing things (and confuses the devil out of people). They keep a recycle bin locally on a USB external storage device. Only emptying the trash at the system level deletes the hidden dead files from the external storage device. People wind up wondering why their thumb drives are short of memory until someone tells them to empty the system trash with the device plugged in. Why would anyone keep a trash can on a limited capacity device? Ask Cupertino, I guess.

AFAIK, on any version of Windows, deleted files from a USB external storage device always go into the main recycle bin on the primary HD, never on the USB device.

assume you're using Windows?

data.chk
data_im1.chk
data_im2.chk
data_is1.chk
data_is2.chk
data_lim.chk
data_lis.chk
data_ra.chk
data_sp.chk
data_ts.chk

I don't have im1 and the im2 files. should they be there? what do they do? what is the right way to connect to tomtom home? when I connect the device to the pc, the device does not connect to HOME automatically. I have to press and hold until a bright orange screen appears, then I unplug the usb cable from the pc and re plug it back in. then turn on the device, and this time it goes into connect mode. how can I get it to connect automatically when I plug in the usb cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly not. That list is from another (but similar) unit (a 740) that has some additional features, so I guess I'm not surprised that there's not 100% correspondence. If your unit is working, then it's certain that you're not missing any of these critical files! I had believed the im1 and im2 files are related to 4.3" screen support, and although you have the 5" screen, we're at the same resolution. Ah well. If the display is working, you don't need them!

When you connect your unit to the USB cable, all you should have to do is turn the unit on to have it recognized by Home. Or if it is already on, to plug it in, and Home should fire up automatically. I'm not sure what 'bright orange screen' you are seeing. My units don't have that. Does the screen say something? Are we talking about the screen on the unit itself?

Last edited:
ok, I've got it working now I think. what I do is first, connect my usb cable to my tomtom, and then turn on the machine, then, I plug it into the computer and then it asks me if I want to connect to the computer, and when I say yes, then, HOME, launches and fetches updates. but this very specific set of instructions is what works for me at the moment short of doing a hard reboot? ..and incidentally, that screen turned to a bright green, not orange when I did that...and that is what I was trying to avoid. but, I hope my detailed procedure will help others having difficulty making the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have 9.510 with map 920.5241 Canada and USA on GO720. It seems to make errors in routing if going from US to Canada. It wants to route me through Montreal. This happens even if planning a route. Otherwise seems ok. I have map 895.4438 North America which works fine

BASIC REPORTING DATA
Date of report:Jan 7 2014
Time of report:8:30 PM
Device type:GO720
Software version:9.510
Map version:920.5241

DATE AND TIME OF PROBLEM
Date and time problem observed:Jan 3 2014
Time Zone:EST

GENERAL PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
General Description of Observed Problem: When traveling from Rochester NY to Honey Harbour On routing takes me to Montreal

PROBLEM LOCATION
General Problem Location USA
Nearest Town or City: Rochester
Other:
Road name or number: NY 90

Specific Problem Location
Direction of travel West and North
To: Honey Harbour On

Nearest intersection or interchange
Name intersection 1:
Name intersection 2:
Number:
Hectometer:

DETAILED PROBLEM DESCRIPTION Routing takes me to Montreal PQ

Make sure the planning preferences are exactly the same for both maps.

I also have the 920 map on my 720 and planned a route from city centre of Rochester New York to city centre of Honey Harbour Ontario.

Route planned took me through Buffalo, Hamilton, Toronto and up the 400 to Honey Harbour. In other words, a proper route.

I have the planning set for fastest and IQ routing is on.

You fell in that nasty little trap that TomTom considers the bridge tolls, Peace Bridge or Queenston Lewiston Bridge, as toll roads.

Years ago on a 930 I wanted to 'Avoid toll Roads' from Toronto to Chicago and it routed me via I-29 and Fargo, ND.

In your instance it was most likely the toll free bridges over the St. Lawrence on Autoroute 30, this side of Montreal.

Ask a Question