Issues/problems with map 910

Beats me.... I think I saw the full poi set would be included. I think. :)
Map 910 is now available for us, and they do include 9.3 millions of POI
Down side is, they don't include the entire NA
Its USA and Canada, so no more Mexico (Which is fine for me)

Does anyone has the following problem:
Whenever you updated a map, the first time you click on Navigate to, it takes longer to load
Same thing applies to Recent destination, Street and house number
It only happen the first time you click on those right after a map update. It doesn't happen after that.

@zeng
I also often find that this occurs the FIRST time I use a "Navigate to" after loading a fresh map, but that it never occurs after that. Have never understood why. One wonders if there's some internal housekeeping going on when a new map is 'discovered' by the unit --- related to personal and Mapshare updates.

There was a longstanding bug in applications prior to 9.4, where some users would get continuous reboots when the device displayed prior search history originally done on a prior map version.

This bug was resolved in 9.400, but in instances where it would have rebooted, there is a now 1-time long delay in pulling up this history. I don't know what the Tomtom is doing in this time, but as long as it's not rebooting that's fine with me.

The old "North America" map was renamed to "USA and Canada", but the old "North America" map never had Mexico so there's no reduction in coverage.

It appears that Tomtom added the large POI dataset to the GO740, but to maintain the 2GB limit they instead took out all the POI address information. Seems like a decent trade for me, but I still wish they would release a full featured map as an option for the 740, regardless of size, for those customers who want to spend an extra $10 on an SD card.

The 540 version came with a poi.dat file > 300 megs. So, suspect it is the full file.

I may copy over a crpoi.dat file I've backed up from the NA map to see if it adds some addresses to pois, though.

I updated to the new map today, v910. As noted above I see that it's been renamed from "North_America_P" to "USA_Canada". Everything seems to work fine.

After updating last week on my One XL to what I thought was v910, the installed map stubbornly remained at v905 even though TomTom Home indicated no update now available.

Further inspection of the TomTom's file structure indicated there were now two map files: USA_and_Canada (v905) and USA_Canada_1 GB (which i assumed was v910).

Strange. I then manually deleted the USA_and_Canada folder. Now all seems to be in order.

I also noted a 20% increase in POI size.

Yes, they've renamed their mapping stuff (for example, no more North_America maps). Appears that USA_and_Canada has been renamed USA_Canada and it also seems that since your device had room for both, it didn't overwrite the existing map but, rather, also included the new 910 map.

Yep, they are also including full (or fuller, anyway) poi dat files with the 910 release.

Ask a Question