Issues/problems/concerns with the 890 map

And I'll report an issue .......:)

I dl the 890 map to my 720 with no apparent problems BUT upon restarting the unit, my voices--computer or otherwise--simply did not work (they did previously). Clicking 'test' or trying to adjust the volume did nothing A pin reset did not help. It wasn't as if the speaker was broken since I did hear the sound when the unit rebooted.

I was contemplating my next move, whether to restore to factory defaults or try uninstalling and reinstalling the voices when I shut off the unit and did a normal restart.

And the voices were back! :confused:

Logic says that a simple map installation should not affect the voices whatsoever but ......

(I'm on app 9.430 with the device).

-1 here on my 740. However, it did take quite some time for the first address lookups, etc. that I performed after the update (not that unusual), and after running a voice test on Susan, I got a spontaneous reboot.

FWIW, 80 MapShare corrections arrived later this morning as well.

Think my loss of voice issue is due to the crappy battery on the device. When not connected to power it just doesn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes and, as we know, one symptom is loss of sound.

When it's connected to AC for example, there is no problem with repeated on/off cycles.

Downloaded the US/Canada map which was successful. However, my POIs will not display. The menu shows the green check mark next to those I want displayed.

@rklimas
After "Show POI on map", be sure you've selected POI for both 3D and 2D views.

Then, if you have a traffic receiver and are trying to display them on the "Browse map", at "Browse map", be sure to select "Options" and reselect "Points of Interest (POIs)". For whatever reason, that is mutually exclusive with "Traffic".

Downloaded the map but my 540 live has got stuck in a reboot cycle am currently going to restore and see what happens as did both types of backup

canderson- No good. The basic POIs (i.e. atms, gas stations, hospitals, etc.) that came with the XXL540 do not display. They did prior to this new map update. I do not undertand "be sure you've selected POI for both 3D and 2D views." I do not have that option.

XL340 - No issue

No issue for my XL340TM. Download took about 16 minutes and map installation slightly over an hour (Windows XP machine). As with all previous Map updates, the first time when you hit "Navigate to", it took awhile for the next screen to pop up. After that, everything is fine

Looks like I had a bit more fun than you guys.
Because I had gotten a Win7 64 bit machine a week ago and in anticipation of a possible soon map arrival I installed HOME2 a couple of days ago.
Lo-and-behold, yesterday the 8.90 NA map was offered.
I shut down and made a complete back up of the internal, as well as the 8.05 W&CE maps and then let the 8.90 be downloaded and installed.

Operate my GO started on the W&CE, not the NA map.
Went to switch maps but there was no other.
I loaded HOME2 2.8.3.2499 and upon connection I was offered a W&CE map and let it proceed.
The result was that I had 160 MB space on the internal and a 8.05 map on both, the internal as well as the SD card.
Windows Explorer would see the NA files but Home2 did not.

After lunch today I deleted the internal W&CE and let WinX over write the backed up files.
Some time after that Windows alerted "Do you want to scan and fix TomTom (F:)?" with "Scan and fix (recommended)" being the suggested option.
I did not, a bit scared.

Installed 2.8.4.2596 again and went basically through it all again and then the 930 locked up at the opening splash screen.

After over writing the back up again I let HOME download the 8.90 map and the unit can be operated but although it shows the proper 2021.7 MB for the Internal and 1879.6 MB for the card, I cannot select the internal with Home and when switching maps it still only shows the W&CE.

I then get a "Windows TomTom HOME has stopped working" | "Windows is checking for a solution" and then shuts down HOME.

I have already spent an excessive amount of time on this and am grateful for any hints as what else I could try.

canderson- No good. The basic POIs (i.e. atms, gas stations, hospitals, etc.) that came with the XXL540 do not display. They did prior to this new map update. I do not undertand "be sure you've selected POI for both 3D and 2D views." I do not have that option.
OK - no problem with that last part.

Now we need to see if the requisite file is even on your unit. Could be that it did not transfer successfully for some reason.

Open your unit as you would a disk drive, and look for the US/Can/Mex map folder. In it, you should find a really large file called POI.DAT. Is that there? I forget how big they are on the 540 map set, but my 740 file is about 128MB in size. What are you seeing?

@RKLIMAS
I should also ask, since you were very specific about the "basic POIs .. that came with the XXL540" ... do you have any custom POI on your unit, and do THEY display correctly?

Downloaded the map but my 540 live has got stuck in a reboot cycle am currently going to restore and see what happens as did both types of backup

Deleted old map and installed via Home and all seems to be well. Mistake I seem to have made was to accept all updates (traffic, gps fix etc.) which might have upset:thumb: the TomTom digestion.

Since my POIs will not display on the new map, I was thinking about reloading the 890 map. If I do that, do I just delete the current map under TomTom Home and reload 890?

Deleted old map and installed via Home and all seems to be well. Mistake I seem to have made was to accept all updates (traffic, gps fix etc.) which might have upset:thumb: the TomTom digestion.
Indeed. When there are multiple updates being offered, I've always had good luck by taking them in stages in the following order of precedence:

Application updates
Map updates
All other updates

Since my POIs will not display on the new map, I was thinking about reloading the 890 map. If I do that, do I just delete the current map under TomTom Home and reload 890?
Are you able the answer the questions I asked above before we get to that point? Before deleting anything, we'll need to assure you have your unit backed up and that the map is still intact and available to load to your unit.

canderson- I am at work, so I will have to wait until tonight to look for the file. Custom POIs like Shell, Exxon, etc. appear, but only if I zoom out from the default screen. Another quirk, when I switched between the USA map and Europe and then back to USA, the basic POIs appeared (atm, gas station) for a couple of seconds and disappeared. They do not reappear if I zoom in or out from the default screen.

So if I understand, you have your own custom POI installed for various gas station brands? Are you sure these aren't ones that are supplied with the map? "Custom" POI files are ones you would have obtained and installed yourself to add to the collection that usually comes with each map.

If the gas station icons are instead from the POI data that comes with the map set (not "custom" as I described it above), then there is no need to look for the file, since it's evidently there along with other associated POI files, and what you are suffering from is an issue of the display of POI that are resident on the device. So far, I haven't seen anyone else reporting this, and it's something we should investigate further in the Technical Support area.

FWIW, the files I would expect to see are poi.dat, crpoi.dat, and a folder called Brand that holds a lot of *.bmp files.

canderson- the ones that display (exxon, shell, etc.) when I zoom out from the default screen were loaded from TomTom Home under POIs. The basic ones like ATM, gas station (no brand), etc. do not display.

Since we are operating from slightly different maps (yours will be the US/Can/Mex map, and mine is the North_America_2GB map), the POI sets that we receive with our maps are likely somewhat different. That's why I'm having to ask how the gas station POI found their way to your unit. Also, I have a Live unit and get my fuel station data in a different manner, and station POI icons are obtained in a somewhat different fashion as well. By any chance do you have a "fuel services" subscription for your unit (updates gas prices when you connect your unit to Home)? If so, that could explain why those are appearing, but no other POI are appearing if there are problems with the base POI file.

When you get home, check for the files and the folder I mentioned above, and also a file called fuelstations.ov2.

Ask a Question