Issues/problems/concerns with map 895

I'm seeing two postcode updates (for UK, NL, SG) accompanying this map release. One is 8.8MB and the other is 1.9MB. Can anyone shed light on that?

New delivery system... Home SHOULD now be offering the postcode updates as a new item called "Navigate to postcode".
(Why they couldn't just call it "postcodes update files" I don't know!)

But they have left off the version number in the .ver file, so you now have no way of telling what version it REALLY is (the new .tlv file will probably lie...)

Now I'm confused... I definitely saw the "Navigate to postcode" item appear in Home a while ago, and I'm sure I installed it somewhere. but I'm still running v890 maps and v885 postcodes on my 940 and my 950 (away with my wife ATM, is only on v890 maps too. So where did I put it! :confused:

But as we know, half the time, Home doesn't even report Navcore version numbers correctly, so with that line blank in the ver file we're just guessing, (apart from comparing file sizes).

Looking further into zip folder on the unit after the fact, I do see separate postcode files for UK and Nederland. That's undoubtedly why I was being offered two files.

I zip'd up what I received with 895, then realized the .zip file was too big for me to attach here. The UK portion alone runs to about 9MB in zip format (doesn't compress much). Need to talk to our forum owner to see if vB allows for him to open up file sizes for his moderators.

Attachments

• PostCode Content.jpg
    PostCode Content.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 434
I'm seeing two postcode updates (for UK, NL, SG) accompanying this map release.
Where are those files? the expected location of http://www.tomtom.com/updates/zipcodes/Map_895/zip.zip has nothing yet.
Dunno. I got them offered during the 895 map update as a function of having the full 2GB Europe map on my unit. Perhaps they are breaking up the postcodes into UK and "other" and that's why I got two files instead of one?
I was offered the new v895 Europe_2GB (plus sub-zones) but not the postal codes and I see nothing in Home v2.9.1.2780 to collect it. Any suggestions?

Not so far... AFAIK, there's not much a user can do to force Home to offer anything it doesn't want to.

So until (here's hoping!) TomTom get round to putting those files up on their servers as a direct download, like they used to, we're stuck.

Maybe a call to customer services saying you've bought the new map and asking for a direct download for the postcodes will help to spur them into action?

Okay, figured and fixed. I used Manage my TomTom to delete all Zips from both my device and also my computer. Then Update my TomTom found and offered the new files. It's the the same way as provokes downloading of the current QuickGPSfix Data.

@Andy
Can you think of any reason we shouldn't feel free to email the 895 postcodes to a user who provides an email address in a PM? The info would be useless to anyone but a legit TomTom customer.

I also need to check with Ian on the attachment size issue.

I see no reason why not (you could send them to me too!)

Or just put them up on an ftp site you have access to?

I hope this question shouldn't be elsewhere on the forum but it is related to the new 895 download.

I have downloaded and installed the Europe 895 map and it seems to be working fine. At the same time, MyTomTom, Manage Content, told me that a Mapshare update is available. It is only 52.6kb so very small but I have tried to download and install it three times now but MyTomTom still tells me that it is available. The total memory on my device has increased very slightly at least once after those three installations.
Question is, it is still insisting that there is a Mapshare file waiting to be installed. Do TomTom issue these small files continously so that I'm merely 'catching up' and there are a number of files waiting?

Whoops, my device is a Start 25.

More than likely a bug in MyTomTom that can't tell when a mapshare file HAS been downloaded so keeps offering it.

I'd do a download no more than once a day, if that, and ignore the message that the file is still there for downloading.

I see no reason why not (you could send them to me too!)
If the ntlworld email address you have in your profile here is still good, you should find zip.zip in your inbox.

More than likely a bug in MyTomTom that can't tell when a mapshare file HAS been downloaded so keeps offering it.

I'd do a download no more than once a day, if that, and ignore the message that the file is still there for downloading.
Yes, that bug has been around for a while. My policy is to ignore it unless I note that the size is bigger than it was the last time I saw it.

Ask a Question