iPad Wifi with TomTom Car kit running TomTom App

Hmm. I wonder how he got the TomTom iPhone app to work on an iPad. Others have posted that the TT app doesn't recognize the iPad gps chip and won't run at all. But Navigon's does.

Really? I have read users with the iPad 3Gt reads fine and receive a better signal on their iPad 3G than their iPhone.
Im not sure about the WiFi one. Perhaps the TomTom Car kit has something to do about it or perhaps it could be jailbroken.

The iPad GPS function is fine. It's TomTom's mobile app that doesn't want to play with it. Most (all?) other iPhone nav apps will at least run, albeit some with reduced resolution or in a small window rather than full screen.

The tomtom app works fine with the iPad gps chip.

The only problem is a message nearly displayed at the top of the screen that says "connect to GPS," which alternates with the name of the street you are on.

I have a feeling this message is supposed to be "connected to GPS", because the device is connected and the tomtom app works fine with direction, speed, speed limit, etc.

In fact, I ordered a 540T, and I'm considering returning it sight unseen. Any reason I would prefer the 540T over the iPhone version?

From a review of iPhone navigation apps tried on the iPad over at GPSReview.net:

"The one app I tried that I did have issues with was the TomTom App. It complained when I launched the app that it wasn?t connected to a GPS, and then continued to flash ?Connect to GPS? in the title bar. Ironically, it could track my current position as I drove along, however it would not update my route progress. For example I created a route and it would show the highlighted route, but it wouldn?t show me the distance to the next turn nor provide any voice guidance. All it did was draw the route on the map. In all fairness, these apps were not designed for the iPad but it is interesting that this particular app choked while others didn?t. I imagine this will be addressed."

Ask a Question