No Satellites found on iPad TomTom App

I was in U.K. In May 2014, I downloaded Tom Tom (Western Europe) for my I-pad but it could never locate a signal or satellites. It was absolutely useless....but I still got charged $50+ for the crap.
I would not recommend anyone to use this type of "service".

I understand that the WiFi-only versions of iPads have no GPS capability - the GPS feature is part of the cellphone option. Can your iPad receive GPS with any other software?

I use "starwalk" which manages to find and locate me....Also the maps find my location too.

I am puzzled why the Apple App Store thought your device was compatible enough to buy the TomTom Navigation app. As David recommended, call TomTom's CS and see whether they can either help get that setup to run, else authorize a refund for you.

iOS (and Android) uses a global roster of wifi hotspots and their locations to guess your location. Essentially, if any iPhone user has driven near your house before with their GPS on, that iPhone will store your wifi router serial number and gps position, and transmit it to Apple to add to their global roster. So whenever you use maps or another location app, it guesses your location.

However, once you drive into a suburban highway with no wifi routers nearby, the iPad won't be able to guess a position any longer.

Tomtom will only accept true GPS satellite locations, because they are more precise, and they work while on highways. Since you iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver it reports no location found.

Again, call TT support and see what they can do regarding a refund.

iOS (and Android) uses a global roster of wifi hotspots and their locations to guess your location. Essentially, if any iPhone user has driven near your house before with their GPS on, that iPhone will store your wifi router serial number and gps position, and transmit it to Apple to add to their global roster. So whenever you use maps or another location app, it guesses your location.

However, once you drive into a suburban highway with no wifi routers nearby, the iPad won't be able to guess a position any longer.

Tomtom will only accept true GPS satellite locations, because they are more precise, and they work while on highways. Since you iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver it reports no location found.

Again, call TT support and see what they can do regarding a refund.

Thanks for all your advice and help guys. I'm currently dealing with Tom Tom with regards to the problem, they asked for screen shot of my model #, iOS! etc.....so hopefully they can find something there that makes things incompatible.

Ask a Question