iOS 4/iPhone 4 and traffic

I was able to get into the support section and I have updated the problem

I have already done the reset and re-download option, still no traffic on the route map. However this morning since there was a delay on the outer loop of 695, after a route was programed, TomTom did show the following

on the route map total delay of 28 minutes, but the bottom showed updating traffic
the browse map showed the problem with delays and the accident on the map
on the way back the route map did show the delay on the route map but no delay information.​

Ha. I used it this morning too, same incident. Except at 7:30, the delay was 99 minutes!!

I can see the total delay, and I can see the hot spots on the map if I to 'Route Options' -> 'Map of Route'. But I still can't see each individual incident, nor do I get the information about how long until the next incident. All useful things to know.

you must have been coming up from 95 I was coming in from 795, got off at Owings Mills BLVD and went the back way.

Here is the latest form TomTom support: (updated at 1439hrs 2010-07-21)
latest from TomTom:
Dear David,

Thank you for updating your incident.

We appreciate your understanding and decision in this case. We will keep you updated as and when we have any information available.

Your satisfaction with the TomTom product is our prime concern.

With Best Regards,

Saviona
TomTom Customer Support

My reply:
I really do not want a refund. I want the program to work. I count on it to work. To that end I am willing to wait, or even, I am willing to help test it out. Please just keep us posted on what is happening.
Response ST-Saviona A 07/21/2010 11:21 AM
Dear David,​

Thank you for updating your incident.

From TomTom
We are aware of this issue and engineers are working on it to resolve at the earliest. Please note that as of now there is no time frame available when the issue will be resolved. If you are unable to wait till then you can contact the Apple support with the refund request.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Your satisfaction with the TomTom product is our prime concern.​

What a lovely response from Tom Tom. Now they just want to get rid of folks by offering refunds to make them go away. Sounds like they have no idea what the problem is. I made yet another call to customer service - I like talking to real people on the phone. So much for asking my case to be escalated. They promised someone would contact me within 3-5 business days. That was three weeks ago. I was just told by the rep on the phone that someone from "corporate" is working on my problem and that that person is supposed to contact me via email today, by 3pm.

I'm not holding my breath. I predict I will be told they can't fix it, don't know what the issue is, engineers still working on it, and all they can do is provide me a refund.

What a lovely response from Tom Tom. Now they just want to get rid of folks by offering refunds to make them go away. Sounds like they have no idea what the problem is.

It's customer service, they never know what the problem is unless its on the script. They'll get the updated script on the problem some point after the engineers have already fixed it (the investigation is the big time sink in a bug fix), at which point you don't need customer service to tell you what the problem is.

Does anyone have any updated information regarding iPhone 4 and the Live Traffic feature? I have several messages into Customer Service over the past week but none have been returned and the Live Trafic on the navigation screen isnt working yet.

My only suggestion to you is to keep bugging them. I began calling once a week for an update. Keep track of any trouble ticket case numbers they assign you. I prefer phone to their email/web support area but they still insist on sending me boilerplate responses there with a new case number each time. I find this exceedingly frustrating and confusing.

If you look on the iTunes reviews for the app you will see others folks having the same "updating traffic" problem.

As an iPhone app developer and also someone who works for a large software company, and also someone experiencing this problem...here are my comments

-This is not rocket science - it used to work before, it is easy to reproduce, the fix should be trivial. Engineering should have had a handle on this one in 30 minutes.
-TomTom seems to be in melt-down mode when it comes to customer service
- Any sort of half way decent support system should allow their customer service group to pick up a response from engineering about "yes we know about it the fix will be out in x weeks/days"
- This should be entered in the TomTom FAQ by now
- These stupid "reset your iPhone", "re-install your app" voodoo is embarrassing when hundreds of people report the same problem.

I'm also a software developer and agree 100% with what loopy said. This doesn't seem like it would be a brain teaser. Kind of nuts that it's been 30 days and counting.

Perhaps it is al about numbers. In the overall picture how few iPhone versions with traffic as compared to say a 740/750 with similar problems.

Called again today. Same story. They are working on it. Don't know when it will be fixed. Asked for a refund. They referred me to iTunes. Went into my account to click on "report a problem" next to the date I purchased the app. Got a message referring me to Tom Tom for app support even though I only requested a refund.

Anyone get their money back? I have a feeling I'm SOL on the cost of the app plus traffic. :mad:

I just recieved an email from tech support that says they will have a fix within a week. They advised me to update the maps within a week. I assume this means to reinstall the software but am not sure.

Hmm. That is strange. As far as I know there is no update maps feature on the TT for iPhone. If they meant re-install software why didn't they just say that? Sounds like two different things. Will all the inquiries I have made one would think I'd get an email too. But I didn't. In the meantime, I received a refund from iTunes for the cost of the app plus traffic subscription. If I ever decide to buy it again it will only be after seeing whether the traffic issue is resolved for folks.

I'm new to the forum and joined out of my frustration with the traffic update issue. I was told by iTunes that refunds are only made during 90 days following purchase. I was outside that window.

Tom Tom Support told me to delete/re-install the app on my iPhone. It too did not work. I wrote back to support asking for an adjustment of my subscription back to the time when they released 1.4.1 which is when the traffic update problem surfaced. Waiting for their response. They are incredibly slow to respond to their web site-generated support requests.

In the meantime, I have been using Motion X Drive and Navigon. The former is my preference.

I was not told anything about being outside a 90 day window. I was refunded within about a day from iTunes. I am also using MotionX Drive. It says it uses real time traffic and it does reroute me on occasion. But it doesn't provide the kind of instant incident that Tom Tom does. I haven't tried Navigon. How does that compare?

I recieved another email from the tech support group that asked me to reset the iPhone and redownload the program. They said others are having success with the traffic being updated now. I did reset the device and have downloaded and reinstalled the app. It looks like today all the routes on the east coast are showing green so I can't test it to see if its been fixed. I will try later when the traffic starts to back up and see if its working. Has anyone been successful with traffic updates??

Update to my previous message - I just launched the application and it appears to be working. Most highways on the east coast are green today, but the traffic bar is displaying the places where there are delays.

Ask a Question