iOS 4/iPhone 4 and traffic

Hey all,

I just got the new iPhone and updated my version of the TomTom app to 1.4. Traffic updates are being a little wonky. I've logged in and the device has recognized my subscription. It appears to accurately recognize traffic and inform me of the delay. However, when I tap on the traffic icon in the upper right hand corner, the OSD that appears says "Updating Traffic" at the bottom of the screen, instead of showing me the Current/Next incident information. I also cannot tap on it to see the list of all incidents. No matter how long I leave it, it always says "Updating Traffic," even though it appears to have finished because it tells me the delay.

Anyone have this issue?

My next step, when I get home today is to delete the TomTom app and reinstall it, in the event that something got corrupted from when I upgraded. I only have one favorite so this isn't really a big deal for me to reinstall.

Thanks,
Justin

I got the same thing on Saturday on Interstate 83 outside of Baltimore, besides the updating message I allso saw the spinning wheel on top. Once I hit Interstate 695, it showed no Delay message and stopped spinning. I did notice one thing when it talked about the 7 minute delay ahead on 83 there was none, and traditionally there is one at that point in the AM. My what I am thinking is that it was old previous days information in the download and new updated information till I hit 695.

That's weird, I'm in Baltimore too. I wonder if it's a problem with parsing the traffic data source -- i.e. maybe their format changed slightly and the app is having a hard time parsing it.

Same problem but with iPhone 3GS

I have the iPhone 3GS. Began using TT for iPhone 1.3 about two months ago. It worked great, other than it occasionally wigged out and had me driving in a river alongside the freeway. Then last Wednesday I upgraded the iphone software to version 4. Then I downloaded and installed TT 1.4.

Navigation works fine but traffic does not. No more incidents along my route. All it says is "no incidents on route" or "updating traffic." Friday it lead me straight into a traffic jam. I called TT last week and was told they didn't receive the iOS 4 software ahead of time to test out and that they are working on a 1.4.1 fix. They suggested uninstalling/reinstalling the software but that didn't help.

I said I would be counting the number of days that my traffic subscription is rendered useless and will be calling back to get an adjustment on my subscription expiration.

This is very frustrating.

Same thing here in Chicago. The total delay always seems to be a resonable value, but it always shows "Updating Traffic" on the incident bar. I also noticed that you used to be able to click on the incident to get to "Minimize Delays", but now I just have to go to route options since touching "Updating Traffic" doesn't do anything.

I have the iPhone 3GS. Began using TT for iPhone 1.3 about two months ago. It worked great, other than it occasionally wigged out and had me driving in a river alongside the freeway. Then last Wednesday I upgraded the iphone software to version 4. Then I downloaded and installed TT 1.4.

Navigation works fine but traffic does not. No more incidents along my route. All it says is "no incidents on route" or "updating traffic." Friday it lead me straight into a traffic jam. I called TT last week and was told they didn't receive the iOS 4 software ahead of time to test out and that they are working on a 1.4.1 fix. They suggested uninstalling/reinstalling the software but that didn't help.

I said I would be counting the number of days that my traffic subscription is rendered useless and will be calling back to get an adjustment on my subscription expiration.

This is very frustrating.

Today on a short trip when using the car kit, and Ford sync at first got a complete update then phone call. Found out that the iPhone was hooked connected to both the Ford sync and to the car kit. I used the sync to take the call, then no traffic all I got was the message unable to connect. After confirming that I was still on BT, I wnet to the main menu and choose traffic. Then hit the bottom button (even though it showed connected. Traffic re-connected to tom tom and updated and the error message went away. while on the phone call I got a TomTom message requesting if I wanted to continue to receive voice updates while on the call, said OK

All I can say by choosing to re-connect even though connected to TomTom servers it re-established the connection after the phone call and all seemed to work

Unfortunately my problem has nothing to do with the phone functionality, or even the navi functionality. It's only traffic.

I am updating 1.4.1 now off iTunes but I doubt it's going to fix the problem since the release says nothing about the update addressing traffic issues.

Same thing here in Chicago. The total delay always seems to be a resonable value, but it always shows "Updating Traffic" on the incident bar. I also noticed that you used to be able to click on the incident to get to "Minimize Delays", but now I just have to go to route options since touching "Updating Traffic" doesn't do anything.

Yes. This is exactly my problem as well. And whenever it says "updating traffic," the car icon at the top right is or becomes amber, but then it shows no yellow dots (incidents) along my route. And yes, the grey bar at bottom - where I used to be able to touch and have it bring up exact location/type of hazard - just says "updating traffic." When its not stuck on that, it just says "no incidents on route," in which case the little car icon is green. But the strange part is that when I go over to the "browse map" screen, I can clearly see real time traffic issues (glowing yellow or red on the freeways) on my route or icons showing road construction or accidents. What is more confounding is that the navigator will provide audio or on-screen messages such as "delay 2 minutes" or some such number but I can't ever see how or why. And then it'll disappear.

1.4.1 didn't fix it for me either! I'm going to try a clean install when I get home just to be sure, but I'm not hopeful.

Yup... no traffic fix for me either. It's still very usable. I can see the total traffic delay just not the individual incidents. Maybe they'll fix that in 1.4.2 :)

I hope they fix it soon, for their sake. Because I, like Navidani, still have my "days without traffic" counter running that I expect to be credited.

having the same thing here over the pond , and still the same after putting the 1.4.1 software on.
as you say be wanting a refund soon..

Oh my gosh I'm about to lose it. Called Tom Tom today and was told to relogin (for the 15th time since last Weds) and my traffic issue should work fine. Didn't work. Called again and was told to reset the iPhone (press power button + home button). Did that. Made things worse! Now instead of "updating traffic" I get "unable to update traffic"! Tried a route in my car and I was blessed with such messages as "poor GPS reception and "no incidents on route" and "total delay 2 minutes" and "found a faster route."!

On the previous phone call, the Tom Tom rep acted as though they were running out of ideas and that "it should work."

I've invested quite a bit of money in this app, if you include the car kit and the special car mount that attaches to the car kit. It goes way beyond the $20 traffic subscription. I mentioned the rep that various forums (like this one) are all reporting issues similar to mine but the guy said he doesn't have time to keep up on that from his end!

Making my next call now...

Me, too...

Having the same problem as everyone else. TomTom support tried to push me back onto Apple as if it were a problem with the iPhone. I've reopened my support request to TomTom with a link to this thread to let them know I'm not alone. Hopefully they'll point their developers here as well.

Still no luck on my end.

For other reasons, on Friday, I restored my iPhone, then setup as new. In other words, I didn't restore from previous backup. So basically I had completely reinstalled all of my applications. There should have been no leftover data from ANY app on the phone. Logged into my account to get the traffic, and still, the same issue. I don't know how much more simple I can make it.

dhn -- I don't think anyone in this thread is having that problem. We can all (at least I think all) get a GPS fix. It's almost exclusively related to traffic.

I think You are right. the problem for this thread is the Iphone and Traffic. Once the location service is turned on and subscription is at least confirmed and established, other than the status of connection, delay 0 or total delay of ??, the information is only under the browse map window (which is dark if traffic is selected to be displayed). It does not make it to the route map or the traffic indicator scale to the right of the display.

Ask a Question