iOS 4/iPhone 4 and traffic

I deleted from both Itunes and the phone and re-set the phone.
Then re-downloaded the application and re-installed.
Traffic was again displayed on the browse map screen. On a planned route out of Westminster MD this morning, I got the 4 min delay banner on top, then the updating traffic on the bottom while the traffic banner was on right side of the display. It did show a delay on the north bound side of 140 but clear in my direction. After about 5 min the bottom banner switched from updating traffic to the no delay message. The top banner went from 4 min delay to no delay (no delays indicated on the side banner). I have tried to plan several routes one to DC and one to NJ, the browse map window shows delays, but the route window shows no delays. I will have to play with it some more during rush hour to see if it is indeed working now, still not 100% sold that it is working.

This is an update to my updated message from before where I mentioned the traffic was now working. It was working for a while, (maybe 45 minutes) and now has stopped working and performs exactly as mentioned in the post above. I received an email from tech support that referred me to call support. I called Tech support and received someone who seemed as though he knew what he was talking about and said the fix is in testing and will be working intermittently until testing is finished. He said TomTom is finished with their part and its now in the hands of Apple. I guess we will see.

Sometimes I wonder. yesterday I submitted the original question / problem again on the web to TomTom. In short still no traffic, I also added that this was the third time and I have deleted the program re-set the phone and re-installed TomTom (USA) and still no traffic display on the route. However there is traffic information in the browse map mode. Well I got my answer a few minuets ago, telling me to delete the application, re-set the phone and re-install the application. I wonder who or if someone is actually reading the full question. I have replied and asked for escalation let us see what happens. BTW is swear the text of TomTom's third reply is the same as the other two replies.:mad::mad::mad:

I have had a few occasions where the traffic works for a few minutes then goes away and has the same characteristics that has been described by others. A few days ago I spoke to a Tech who was just returning from a vacation. His comment was I was the second person that morning who had called and it was very early in the morning. He said he was hoping it would have been fixed by the time he returned from vacation but it hasn't been. He did say TomTom would be issuing extensions to all for their traffic subscription once its fixed and the hope is the fix will be soon. Guess we will see.:mad:

As of 1300hrs EST from TomTom

Thank you for updating your incident.

Unfortunately we do not have an ETA on resolving the issue with iPhone traffic updates. However, please be assured that the technicians are diligently working on the issue to get it fixed as early as possible. I would be glad to keep the case open but as we do not have ETA I am unable to keep the case open without any active troubleshooting on the issue. Hence, only for the administrative purpose I will go ahead and close this case. However, at any time you can simply update the incident and refer the incident number [----------------] to continue with the case so that there is nothing to worry about.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory customer service you have experienced. Be assured we always have the best of intentions of providing outstanding customer service to our customers, and we will do our best to address any issues you may have.

i love how we get different responses, one says no ETA and they are working on it, another says it's been submitted to apple, wtf get it together already

Hallelujah!

TomTom just released version 1.5. I can say, at least for me, that the traffic problem has been fixed.

I looked at my current map and saw a backup. I then prepared a route that made sure I'd go through that backup. Once the route was set, I brought up the display that perpetually showed "Updating Traffic" for everyone, and viola. It shows you the current incident, how long it will last, and if you tap on it, it will show you details about the backup.

I still plan on calling to get a credit for everything between June 24th and today. Has anyone had any luck with that? Do we call TomTom or Apple?

I just got off the phone with them and they would not extended my traffic subscription to compensate for 1.4.1 traffic not working. (Looks great on 1.5 btw) Since I had not called previously, they have no record of my trouble even though they knew they had issues.

My fault for not calling in on a known issue. Not great customer service on their part for a known issue.

Glad to hear 1.5 is finally out and they seem to have fixed the traffic issue finally. I'm glad I called them every week for two months and was given a refund for my traffic subscription as well as a refund for the app from iTunes. I may re-purchase it, as no other iPhone app has comparable real-time traffic.

TOMTOM extending iPhone traffic!

Just got this message to extend traffic due to the issues with 1.4. Nice to see them come around to the conclusion many of us had already!

We recently identified issues that may have impacted your experience with TomTom Traffic on the TomTom App for iPhone. These issues have been resolved with the latest update to Version 1.5, made available October 15th. If you have not already done so, please update your app to Version 1.5 to receive all the benefits of TomTom Traffic.

We value you as a TomTom customer and want to continue to deliver a first-class navigation experience to you. As such, we are extending the traffic subscription -- at no additional cost to
you -- for the amount of time you may have been affected by this issue. Also, as we realize you may have been inconvenienced, we will extend your subscription by an additional 4 weeks.

These free updates to your traffic subscription will be added to your TomTom Traffic account within the next 4 to 6 weeks and require no further action from you.

Once the service is added to your account, you will be able to see the new expiration date of your subscription on your phone by opening the application, going to the main menu, and tapping on TomTom Traffic.

Thank you for choosing TomTom to be a part of your journeys. For customer support, please visit Support Home Page.

All the best,
The TomTom Team

As noted, 1.5, released last week, should restore traffic. If you had paid for TomTom's traffic and found it unavailable due to problems with 1.4, you should be getting an email from them that looks like this:

TomTom Traffic for iPhone Subscription Extension

In a nutshell, they're promising to extend your subscription by the amount of time it was out, plus tack on another month for your trouble. Fair enough, tho it shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Ask a Question