iOS4 + 1.4 Upgrade = no GPS fix on iPhone 3G

Upgraded to iOS4 and noticed program was crashing. Then upgraded to TomTom1.4 and now program doesn't crash but can't get a GPS fix. Tried car tool kit to see if that would get GPS fix and no go. I checked some forums in Spain and I'm not the only one experiencing this problem with the 3G. Assuming TomTom looking into this problem?

I haven't heard this, but I did hear problems with iOS4. The solution on updating was not to restore from a backup but to setup as a new phone. Not sure if this will help but you can try it out.
GL

Hi...have the same problem on my 3gs...after updating my iphone to ios4 and tomtom to V 1.4 i cant get a fix..tried mine in the car kit with the tomtom car kit tool app and there it look like it finds satelites perfectly but it still cant get a fix when i turn on the map and tries to navigate...

Nope...dosent work with the map app......talked to tomtom and they cant give me any time when the problem could be solved........at least i got to use my app and car kit for one week before it stopped working..*S*

Google maps also does not have the ability to find a GPS signal. I unfortunately dont have the car kit but the car kit tool (app) is unable to find a fix. Seems to me like the TomTom update not only is disabling TomTom's ability to receive GPS signal but also google maps. Would be great to see if TomTom is looking into this or if I need to go ahead and do a fresh reinstall.

iO4 and GPS problem

Same Problem here..with my 3Gs...after updating my iphone to ios4 and tomtom to V 1.4 i cant get a fix.

Someone got a solution.

Bacchus:confused:

Google maps also does not have the ability to find a GPS signal. I unfortunately dont have the car kit but the car kit tool (app) is unable to find a fix. Seems to me like the TomTom update not only is disabling TomTom's ability to receive GPS signal but also google maps. Would be great to see if TomTom is looking into this or if I need to go ahead and do a fresh reinstall.

The car kit tool only gives information from the car kit. It doesn't even read anything from the internal GPS, so it isn't a good test. Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce this on both a 3GS and a 4. If Maps can't get a signal, I'm not sure the issue is in the TomTom app.

(Original poster). So I called apple and the most one can do is a hard reset (don't restore from backup). This failed to resolve the problem. I'm pretty sure the TomTom 1.4 updated did something to the firmware because the GPS worked WITH iOS4 WITHOUT the 1.4 upgrade, albeit not as well as with the iOS3. Upon upgrading to the TomTom 1.4 the GPS stopped working on both TomTom and Google Maps. Upon restore still doesn't work. Apple said it's a hardware problem, but what are the chances that the hardware failed immediately upon a software change (TomTom 1.4 upgrade)? Only option now is to downgrade to iOS3 and see what happens, or wait an hour on hold for TomTom phone support and see if they have any better ideas.

3G no gps fix after iOS4 and TomtomV4

It works fine with other Nav App (Mapquest, Google Map). Tomtom blamed Apple when i asked for help. Do not want to upgrade to 4G yet, waiting for Verizon next year. Tomtom please look into this GPS fix!!!!! Garmin is my backup now.

I had a similar issue after upgrading to iOS4:

1) Delete and re-instal the the TomTom program just to make sure you got it (if you are sure then skip this part)

2) After fresh instal or not, shut the phone down by powering off.

3) mount the unit into the car kit and charger

4) no car kit or with car kit open TomTom application

5) Still no fix just a spin, plan a small simple rout to a specific address. Once planned you should get a fix and the route.

No Traffic (if subscribed)

follow above

1) from main menu got to traffic and touch

2) if no current subscriptions appear touch on the bottom which should be your email address

3) this will re-log you on to the system and your current traffic subscriptions should appear

In a last desperate attempt before downgrading to iOS3 I left TomTom on searching for a satellite for 30 min in my back yard. When I got back it had a GPS fix, and now google maps can find the GPS too. Since others are having this problem it is confusing that this problem is not confined to my machine. Either the software is glitchy, or my hardware is glitchy (or both). Basically I did everything that forums suggested and still was NOT getting GPS after 5 min at least, and somehow it works now. Only suggestion that I have is to leave the phone sitting for quite some time and let if find the satellites. As an engineer unable to see the code or hardware behind the scenes it's frustrating to have the problem, and perhaps more frustrating to not know what the solution was.

I don't see the 1.4.1 in the app store and I see no prompt when I log into to iTunes on my computer.

Last edited:
In a last desperate attempt before downgrading to iOS3 I left TomTom on searching for a satellite for 30 min in my back yard. When I got back it had a GPS fix, and now google maps can find the GPS too. Since others are having this problem it is confusing that this problem is not confined to my machine. Either the software is glitchy, or my hardware is glitchy (or both). Basically I did everything that forums suggested and still was NOT getting GPS after 5 min at least, and somehow it works now. Only suggestion that I have is to leave the phone sitting for quite some time and let if find the satellites. As an engineer unable to see the code or hardware behind the scenes it's frustrating to have the problem, and perhaps more frustrating to not know what the solution was.
Do you have 3Gs or 3G phone? Mapquest and Google map lock GPS fine with 3G phone. I update to V1.4.1 but same result. I will leave my phone in back yard at least 1/2hr and hope to catch some GPS. I should try to reload iOS4 tonite. Delete/reload too manytime both on phone and itune for tomtom but same result, took forever too long each reload....

Tomtom please check with iphone 3G!!!

I have an app called Motion X GPS.

It will detect 7-8 good strong satellite signals in less than 20 seconds when I'm inside my house.

Since the 1.4.1 update TomTom gets no gps signal in or out of the house.

AFAI am concerned my hardware is fine and a freebie app is proving the hardware is fine....

This is a TomTom issue in my opinion.

( Iphone 3gs OS4 TTom 1.4.1)

gps fix

:)If you cant get a gps fix make sure to go to settings and turn on the gps for the tomtom software. I had never touched it and after the upgrade the gps was off for my tomtom software. Works great again. Hope this helps.

3G iOS4 & Tomtom setting to get GPS lock

3G iOS4 is now getting GPS fix with Tomtom V1.4.1
Here is the setting: in Settings/ General/Location Service/select "On" for Tomtom.
It is easily thinking when seeing location service ON under General means On for all apps. Somehow Tomtom Location Service was not selected!!!!You have choice to turn on and off location service for individual app. Why did'nt Apple/Tomtom not default as Location Service ON when first load???

Last edited:

Ask a Question