iOS4 + 1.4 Upgrade = no GPS fix on iPhone 3G

Thanks for the feedback. Think your info is worthy of making this thread a sticky...:)

Hi again!..........By turning on location service i also get a fix....but correct me if i?m wrong....this is a data fix and not a the gps that working. As is says on tomtom support site (in Sweden) the phone use the location service to help the gps to get a fix faster. If it?s so the problem still is there.....or???....:confused:

I upgrade to IOS4 a few weeks back and recently purchased the tomtom app from apple store. I also got the tomtom car kit cradle. I have been struggling for days to get a GPS fix. Even left the device on for over an hour and have not been able to get a fix. I have read through this thread but am confused. Do I need to wait for a fix to the current 1.4.1 release of tomtom for ios4 or do I need to adjust some settings. Also is it worth contacting tomtom?

I upgrade to IOS4 a few weeks back and recently purchased the tomtom app from apple store. I also got the tomtom car kit cradle. I have been struggling for days to get a GPS fix. Even left the device on for over an hour and have not been able to get a fix. I have read through this thread but am confused. Do I need to wait for a fix to the current 1.4.1 release of tomtom for ios4 or do I need to adjust some settings. Also is it worth contacting tomtom?

Go to settings then location services then turn it on for the TomTom application.

I've found the problem experienced by others in this thread to be a particularly thorny one when it happened to me.

My iPhone 3G on iOS3 has periodically been unable to connect to my TomTom car kit. This has been fairly consistent over the seven months I've owned it. It was fairly easily fixed by deleting the association on BT and reconnecting. Seems like a software bug.

Upgraded to iOS4 and TomTom 1.3 crashed all the time and it went downhill from there :( 1.4 came around and I could navigate again for a couple of days. Then it refused to connect at all.

* No BT connection, no GPS, Car Kit Tool reports not docked, iPhone is charging
- Dock is obviously working as it's charging
- No BT means no audio AND no GPS?!

* Location service is on for TomTom
- This never changed for me but seems to have for other folks here.

* Clear BT association and search for car kit - nothing.
* Reset car kit and try again - nothing.
- I can see other people's BT devices but not the one my iPhone is physically plugged into... RF hardware failure?!

Finally I got it working after rebooting the iPhone, resetting the car kit and making sure the engine was running before I connected the iPhone into the car kit. Many thanks to those on these forums who suggested these actions :) That conclusively shot down the idea that it was a hardware issue. This seems to be a software problem entirely.

Whether its TomTom's software upgrade failing or an iOS4 issue, I can't tell. I'm inclined to suggest it's both. What I can say is that, as a software engineer myself, this kind of software failure on common hardware is not acceptable and avoidable. The number of people posting here with essentially the same problem is indicative that it is widespread and the posters will be a tiny minority of those actually experiencing it. Readily updatable software is great, just don't use it as an excuse not to test properly because you can fix it later... /rant off

Loss of GPS signal since uppgrading to IOS4

As many others, I experience a problem (no more GPS signal) since I upgraded to iOS4 with my iPhone 3GS. I use TomTom and the car kit craddle.

I can still use TomTom but with geolocalization thru the cellular system. It means a huge cost as i travel in different European countries.

My TomTom navigation is now useless but I see nobody who cares at TomTom. Neither Apple while iOS4 seems to be the most untested operating system ever released.

Thanks, TomTom for letting me (and many other customers) in big trouble.

No GPS Signal = REFUND!

My iPhone 3GS iOS4.0.1 would not get a fix with the latest TomTom Australia. I tried everything. I called TomTom and tried all of their solutions. I called Apple and tried all of theirs. Google was no help either.
Everything else worked fine - Maps etc - no problem. I also have the car kit and TomTom works in that but then how is it different from my dedicated navigator? So iTunes gave me my money back today. Shame.

Same Probelm

I'm also facing the same problem after upgrading to iOS 4.0.1 and then to 4.0.2, I'm thininking in downgrading back to iOS 3, I remember life was easy that time.:confused:

Ok, just to share my experience on trying to resolve the GPS fix issue, to no avail.

No point downgrading to ISO3.

I suspect is the modem/radio issue.

When i was using 4.0, it is still working with Iphone carkit, but every unstable, sometime can get signal, sometime cannot.

Uprade to 4.0.1 is still working, same effect as 4.0

Upgrade to 4.0.2, boomz, no more GPS fix.

Downgrade to 3.1.3, boomz, still no GPS fix, i believe is due to updating of the radio firmware which causes the issue.

This is just my experience.

Current iphone 3G firmware 3.1.3
Radio/modem 05.13.04

I am trying to find a way to downgrade my radio, not sure whether it is possible.

My iphone car kit bluetooth signal is still detectable and carkit tool is still showing docked.

Ask a Question