iOS 4/iPhone 4 and traffic

Turns Out No Traffic Issue

EDIT: My post seems incorrect as it stopped working as soon as i chnaged routes. Back to square one.

I was thinking that what TomTom support told you about a bug in the in-app purchasing didn't make sense. Even if the app mistakenly purchased the traffic package for the wrong device, why was it working prior to the upgrade?

I'm shocked that no one on their end can even acknowledge the issue. They have to be able to reproduce it.

TomTom support has finally escalated my support request regarding this issue after pointing them to these forum postings. We'll see what happens...

I have the iPhone 3GS. Began using TT for iPhone 1.3 about two months ago. It worked great, other than it occasionally wigged out and had me driving in a river alongside the freeway. Then last Wednesday I upgraded the iphone software to version 4. Then I downloaded and installed TT 1.4.

Navigation works fine but traffic does not. No more incidents along my route. All it says is "no incidents on route" or "updating traffic." Friday it lead me straight into a traffic jam. I called TT last week and was told they didn't receive the iOS 4 software ahead of time to test out and that they are working on a 1.4.1 fix. They suggested uninstalling/reinstalling the software but that didn't help.

I said I would be counting the number of days that my traffic subscription is rendered useless and will be calling back to get an adjustment on my subscription expiration.

This is very frustrating.

i can't believe they flat out lie to you like that. how can you develop something for a new OS without the OS? all developers had access to the new OS for quite a long time

I ended up calling Tom Tom customer support 4 times last Friday. They finally escalated my issue and told me to expect to hear back from someone in about 5 days. On the last call they seemed to suggest they were aware there is a problem and were aware other people are experiencing similar issues. We'll see what they come up with. I predict they will not have a simple fix, in which case I will sadly, reluctantly request a refund on the software, the traffic subscription and the car kit and special mount I had to buy to affix the car kit.

Stay tuned...

it will require a software update, so once they find the problem, fix the problem, which shouldn't take long, then another week to get through apples approval process. it is quite annoying that i can't quickly see where traffic is at

Speaking as a software engineer, this is a regression. It's something that was working before. From the outside, it doesn't appear as if it would be a difficult fix -- especially when it was once working. I'm not excusing TomTom. All I'm saying is don't despair Navidani. They'll likely have a fix out soon, and then we can all request a credit for the days that we were all w/o traffic :)

Add one more to the list

Hi there,

I am having the same exact problem since the iOS4 upgrade. I called Tomtom support today and they referred me to Apple. The support person said they have not heard of such an issue (this is where we all laugh) and said that the application is developed by Apple and they are only responsible for the map content. (I don't believe that)

If there was a way to grade the Tomtom support, they would definitely get a -20... It is very interesting that they can take your money in a few seconds, yet they never solve your problem and easily pass on the blame. Needless to say that I am not going to call Apple as they would push me back to Tomtom.

If there was only any better software out there for the iPhone...

I hear you all. I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that others are experiencing the same exact issue. And yes, it is perplexing that something that once worked does not any more. But what appears to be complicating the matter is that this problem coincided with BOTH an iphone software upgrade and a TT software upgrade. It also explains some TT reps trying to lay all the blame with Apple. But it is TT's traffic component that is the problem, isn't it? What is more confounding is that my traffic SORT OF works - I can see and get traffic info on that black map. Looks like glowing amber and red snakes. It just doesn't show on the main map when I am en route.

Can you guys get traffic data on that black map at all?

The TomTom rep lied. The app is NOT developed by Apple. Hell, tomtom doesn't even supply the map data. They get that from like Navteq or some other company. TomTom IS in the software and hardware business. If the app were developed by Apple, then in the app store the company would say "Apple Inc.", not "TomTom International." I was willing to role with this when they fessed up to the problem. But now they're trying to pass the buck to Apple? Apple has their faults, but this isn't one of them.

Fail TomTom :(

I have the issue with the traffic bar always saying "updating" also. Traffic is received it it's being taken into account, but the traffic bar never shows any incidents. The top right icon does show the total traffic delay, though.

This was happening with an iphone 3gs with iOS 4 and the new iphone 4 that just arrived. I've had the issue open with tomtom since June 25th. The escalated the issue on the 2nd but there's been no communication since.

I'm hoping they can fix this as I like the app but so far their support has been less than stellar.

I called ITunes and confirmed that they have no ownership of the TT navigation and traffic as the TT rep try to convince me. Then I setup a conference call with ITunes manager and TT customer service, all a sudden TT accepted all the blames and refunded me my subscription with no question ask.

Very bad experience with TT customer service.

i don't think the traffic works as well either, or it's not updating as frequently as it use to. i can be sitting in deadlock traffic outbound tollway from chicago, and the icon is green and shows no traffic, then, once i get past the traffic it shows traffic where i am currently

I am surprised yours even shows traffic. I can't get anything. I had to go back to 1.3. As unstable as it is at least traffic works

My case was escalated two weeks ago Friday. They said someone would get back to me in 3-5 business days. I called Wednesday and was told they are still working on it??!!? The person I spoke to also said "we've never heard of this issue happening" and I promptly told them about several members on this board who are experiencing the same thing. I will be calling again on Monday.

I'm convinced the same team that is working on capping the spewing oil in the Gulf (BP) are the same ones working for Tom Tom. :mad:

I have the same problem with TomTom traffic in the UK. The only hing that works is to switch offf the phone completely and restart... not ideal when you are driiving!

Well support has just answered my question, kind of: (I have already re-set and re-downloaded once, I am not doing that again, so here is their answer. On a side note, I can not get inot the service area to update the complainant.

Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Saviona and we are always happy to help.

I understand that you are unable to use the Traffic service on the iPhone. Please rest assured that I will do my best to resolve the issue.

This issue might occur if the application has corrupt files or remnants from the earlier version.

In order to resolve the issue, I would recommend you to reset the iPhone and then uninstall & reinstall the TomTom application.

Here are the steps to do so:

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button (on top of the iPhone) and the Home button (below the screen) at the same time for at least 10 seconds. Keep holding these buttons even if Slide to power off is shown or the screen turns black. Hold the two buttons until the Apple logo appears.

The above instructions should reset your device.

You can then uninstall the TomTom app from the iPhone:

1) Press on one of the application icons till they start shaking and symbol with a cross appears in each 3rd party app.
2) Tap on the icon till a warning message will ask if we want to delete the application, then tap on "Delete".

You can now re-download and install the TomTom app. Here is the link that has the steps to do so:

If the issue still persists then it could be possibly due to the server issue that we are already aware of. Our engineers are already working on it to resolve at the earliest. If you do not wish to wait then you can contact the Apple support with the refund request.

I will provide you the contact information. Here is the link for it: Apple - How to Contact Us

Your satisfaction with the TomTom product is our prime concern.

To update your TomTom question (incident) or to reply to this email:
Please log in to your TomTom account using the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/myTomTom/login.php
-Now Click on 'Support'
-Select 'My Questions History'
-Click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'

Note: If the incident is not updated within 72 hours, the incident will move to 'Solved' status to reflect that the provided resolution has been successful for you. The incident will automatically get closed.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom, we believe in showing you the way, the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Saviona
TomTom Customer Support

Progress?

I'm pretty sure we've all done aforementioned steps. At least there is an issue their engineers are aware of and are working on. Whether it's OUR issue is something else entirely :) We'll have to wait and see.

Ask a Question