I'm now a TomTom owner

Yes it will work to charge the device.
HOWEVER, you MAY still have the problem I alluded to right at the beginning of this thread, where the combination of the chosen cable and power supply MAY cause the device to think it is connected to a computer.
If that is the case the unit will then power down to speed up charging after a few minutes, which is obviously not when you want when travelling.

As I said, the cable or the charger needs to supply the correct conditions on the two data pins of the USB connector to tell it NOT to switch off.
I'd guess at 95% that you will be fine, but all I keep saying is make sure you have a guarantee that you can return anything you buy, in case it doesn't work as you hope.

Incidentally, I am not an Apple user, so I would be interested to know (from anyone!) what "special" flavour of USB is required to power Apple devices (as seen on silversid's dual outlet charger).

I'm still waiting for the cable to arrive so I have been using it with a fully charged battery, but it doesn’t seem to last very long, about 1.5 - 2 hours, is this about right or is the battery on its way?

I'm still waiting for the cable to arrive so I have been using it with a fully charged battery, but it doesn’t seem to last very long, about 1.5 - 2 hours, is this about right or is the battery on its way?
The battery life seems about right to me. These are automotive units, and the design assumption seems to be that you will be using them connected to the power in your vehicle. Accordingly, the battery capacity does not have to be very much, especially when compared to a phone or hand-held GPS.

That lets the manufacturers save a bit on the cost of the battery. :eek:

- Tom -

Also saves a ton of space, allowing TT to keep the units the same size, even with added power eating features (e.g., Live).

Got the cable, I can confirm that it does charge ok in the car, and I can even use it to charge at home through my 3 pin usb wall plug which I already have, so winner all round.

Ask a Question