I cannot pair my samsung phone

I have been unable to pair my samsung SCH u740 with my tomtom 720. I have gone on the website and see it is not compatible but have heard that some people have been successful regardless. I can't get the recognition to go beyond 10%. Anyone help? Does anyone know if TT plans to offer patches or later firmware upgrades to allow more phones to be recognised?

I have been unable to pair my samsung SCH u740 with my tomtom 720. I have gone on the website and see it is not compatible but have heard that some people have been successful regardless. I can't get the recognition to go beyond 10%. Anyone help? Does anyone know if TT plans to offer patches or later firmware upgrades to allow more phones to be recognised?

I can get my samsung to 40%, it is an a870. While it is at 40% my handsfree works(with buzzing), but it then times out and the pairing disconnects.

I am contemplating returning for exchange.

My wife has a u740 that I cannot get past 10%.

I think you said in a previous post you got yours to finally fully pair? Or am I mistaken? Did you get to 40% by seaching via the TT or by searching for the TT with the phone? Or some combination of both? Any idea if TT adds new phone combatibility with future updates? Thanks.

A few times I was able to get the a870 to 100%, but right after that the TT said that the phone did not have any supporting features other than wireless data, which I could not get to work.

No clue whether or not this functionality will be fixed by TT, or if they even consider it a problem. They most likely will just say the phones/provider are not supported.

To get the a870 to 40% I think it goes like this...

1. Put phone into discovery mode
2. Search for phone on TT, TT says connect to name? Yes No
3. Search for new device from phone. Finds TomTom Go 720
4. Press Pair on phone. Enter 0000
5. Press Yes on TT
6. Bar goes to 40%
7. Phone says failed to connect but a pairing is actually made.
8. TT stays at 40%.
9. I can now place a bluetooth call and use handsfree.
10. TT stays at 40% for approx. 1 minute then times out with "An error occured while checking phone features. Do you want to try again?" Yes No
11. The pairing is terminated and can no longer handsfree.
12. If you say Yes it will go back to 40% screen and make a pairing. Handsfree works again until it times out again.
13. If you say No it quickly goes to 100% then goes to red screen that says "The required features could not be found for this phone. Continue

I don't think I've been able to recreate this on the u740.

I have found a way to get the SCH-u740 to pair with my go 720, but it cannot connect later.

Here is how I did it.

1) start a search for phones on the tomtom
2) set the bluetooth discovery mode on the SCH-u740 to on
3) when the tomtom discovers the phone do not press anything.
4) on the phone go to add new device
5) when the phone discovers the tomtom try to pair (with the password 0000)
6) once the phone has paired press yes on the tomtom
7) the tomtom will go as far as 40% then error out the same way as the a870
8) press no on the error, and the tomtom will tell you the phone has internet connectivity, but no hands free mode.

The phone connects for the initial scan, but then cannot connect later.

I have not had time to continue to experiment, but it is a start. If anyone has a tomtom plus account with this phone and gets the connection to work please let me know. Thanks.

I've also got a Verizon Sch-u740 and have the same problems using BOTH the Go 720 and Go 920T. I finally gave up after many, many tries. If you figure out the secret be sure to let us know, but I sorta doubt that it will work. Not a huge deal for me, but I would like to play with wireless data if it worked.

pairing sch-u740

I have the u740 and the TT720 - no problems pairing them. You need to set the u740 bluetooth setting to "discovery mode" and then search for the phone from the TT. The phone may ask for a password - enter 0000. You also may be asked if you want to connect to the device (either by the phone or the TT). Enter OK/Yes. Should get message that you are connected.

Once that is done, you should get additional messages on theTT listing phone's features; then asked if you want to upload the phone's directory.

Once the pairing has been successful, leave bluetooth "on" on the phone. When you start the TT it should automatically connect and announce the connection.

have you done anything to your phone or tomtom? the official response I got from tomtom is that there is no support for the phone. My phone info shows a SW version of u740.ZL05 with a hardware version of u740.10. Is your version different?

720 to Samsung u740

I was also able to get my 720 to connect with my phone. SW version on phone is u&40.AF25. I had all the problems that everyone else is stating, but when I followed MisterEd's instructions it worked. Once I got the error after 20%, I cancelled it, then told my phone to search for new devices. It found the 720 and asked if I wanted to pair with it. I selected yes, and it asked me for the password. I put in "0000", and it showed up on my devices. I told the 720 to search for a new phone again. Once it found my Samsung, I told my phone to connect to the 720. When it did that, the status on the 720 juped to 50%, and held there. I selected the 720 on my phone again, and it asked if I wanted to disconnect. I said yes, then told my Samsung to connect again. The status on the 720 jumped to 80%. I repeated the patern, and the 720 got to 100% and downloaded my address book! I've paired two Verizon phones with the 720, and both phones required me to connect, disconnect, and reconnect to the 720 several times during the 720 setup process. The 720 never seemed to mind when I disconnected and reconnected the phones, and it completed the setup both times. It's quirky, but it did work. Hope that helps.

4) on the phone go to add new device
5) when the phone discovers the tomtom try to pair (with the password 0000)
6) once the phone has paired press yes on the tomtom
7) the tomtom will go as far as 40% then error out the same way as the a870
8) press no on the error, and the tomtom will tell you the phone has internet connectivity, but no hands free mode.

The phone connects for the initial scan, but then cannot connect later.

I have not had time to continue to experiment, but it is a start. If anyone has a tomtom plus account with this phone and gets the connection to work please let me know. Thanks.

Put phone is discovery mode and try searching and pairing from TT. Most of the times pairing from Phone do not work. Most handsfree systems have incoming pairing disabled or not fully supported. So always search and pair from TT.

I had some intermittent problems pairing my wife's Samsung BT phone to her new Garmin, and found that I had the phone too CLOSE to the GPS. As soon as I moved the phone about 6 ft away from the Garmin, it paired perfectly. Once paired, the phone can be close to the unit, but preferably not right up against it.

PS Should have added that her Samsung phone was supposedly NOT compatible with the Garmin.

Ask a Question