How to properly unmount your GPS device

Hi all,

I use the windshield suction cup mount for my ONE 125SE. I noticed that the GPS itself can be disconnected from the mount. On the back of the GPS are three spring clips that hold the GPS onto the circular mount. It disconnects pretty easily. But connecting it back to the mount is tough. It takes some wiggling and I have to squeeze fairly hard for it to clip back on. Hard enough that I see the LCD screen flex.

My questions are, is the GPS supposed to be disconnected from the mount, or are you supposed to remove the entire unit by disengaging the suction cup? And does it take some effort to squeeze on so it "clicks" back on? I'm concerned about damaging the GPS or LCD with repeated dismounts/mounts.

Thanks,
Tom.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new here! But I bought my TomTom XL 330 S last week and I have just left the suction mount on the windshield and removed the GPS unit it self.

Just a warning people.....

There are those who see the mount on the windshield and assume the driver has left the unit in the car somewhere, just hidden. End result: windshield still smashed in......

I'm just saying ...................

It well depends on each area, there are some reports of breaking in because of the round residue that left on the windshied. What would that be?

The residue? Dried, uh, spit.

Seriously, believe the sales of friction mats (aka 'beanbag mounts') has been on the increase at least partially because of thefts of gps units

I try to use third party mounts where possible in my car that are based around the Brodit Pro-Clip system these attach to the dash so you have a couple of advantages, less visible and much easier to hide all the wiring making for a much neater install. I have just ordered some more Brodit kit to mount the iPhone car kit on the dash rather than as intended using the windshield sucker for the same reasons as above - Mike

tomh : It just takes some getting used too. I leave the mount on the windshield and pop the device off of it every night.

Trying to think of how I do it so easily, I put the GPS in both hands, reaching around with my fingers I push the ring onto the GPS. Then I run my finger around it too make sure its properly seated, if not it will pop back out with the slightest of bumps. It sounds weird, but I've done it some many times it takes maybe 2-3 seconds.

As far as theft, well I havent had a problem yet. Since I use it in a work van its pretty tough to see regardless. And I keep it in the lower left of the windshield, behind it (toward the hood) I have a couple old work hats.

I think we over-thinking this, there's no real method, just pull it out, it's more durable then you think.

Meh, with the easyport mount I think there is a certain technique. Maybe with TT's other mounting system its a little easier. I do agree and think its durable enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the replies, and CynicX for the hands-on description of the mount/unmount technique - that's what I was looking for. I know exactly what you mean that if it's not seated, the slightest bump will dislodge it.

I agree with removing everything including the mount to discourage theft. As for the durability, it seems durable enough. But we'll see how it holds up in a southwestern summer when it's 115 degrees F outside and 130 degrees F in the car.

Last edited:

Ask a Question