How do I Transfer maps from SD card to internal memory.

Oh, so which device CAN the card run in? I have tried the card in my 'normal' 4.3 "One and did not work. That's the only other unit I have with a slot. So I need to get a unit with E1 as a serial number in order for it to work then?

Probably just better off buying a map from TT then? But then would that map be LOCKED to one unit only or can I install that map into any other TT I own?

That code would run on a GO unit - perhaps 720/730/740 as examples.

What we would really want to accomplish here is to get a proper level of firmware running ON your unit without the SD card installed, then remove the operating software from the card and install it.

Let's work with Home for a bit.

There should be something that looks like "Manage My ONE" or similar available in Home. With your unit connected and the card installed, see whether you are able to "Move to Computer" the operating software that's on the card. If so, please do that. Then, after properly disconnecting your unit both logically and physically, shut off the unit, remove the card, and try to start it up. If it will not start, that's no problem -- if I recall, your unit has no operating firmware internally (based on my memory of your screen shots above that I can't see at the moment!). If that's the case, connect it back up and let Home load firmware to the internal memory of the unit.

Having done that, you can try using the unit with the card installed to see if the unit recognizes the map.

Hi, the device won't finish booting up with the card inserted, it starts with the yellow loading bar at the bottom of the screen, but then gets about half way, stops, and the icon of the memory card with the red X over it appears.

Yes, there IS Manage my ONE on TT HOME. Will try to make them communicate again. I can't get the page where I can choose which item I want to log on with to come on, card or device page.

Hi, I can select individual items from the device, should I select all items, and remove from device or certain ones only?

Items available are;

Applications
Maps
Voices
Safety Cameras
Map overlays
Postcodes
Car symbols
Start Up Images
Shut Down Images
QuickGPSFix Data
Phone Connection Settings

Just tried to select ALL items from the TomTom to remove, and warning came up. Said I need at least 1 Voice, 1 map and 1 application for the device to work, are you sure you want to continue?

Ok, so now the TT is empty, plugged in the SD card, tried to turn on, but nothing. Took the card out, plugged unit to pc, pressed the reset button, and it came on, and auto initiated the TT HOME, came up with the update window, clicked ok, but nothing is happening.

Update device screen has been on for over 15 mins now, but still nothing happening. Have tried disconnect device, turned back on, but keeps saying to update device before moving forward, so stuck with nothing at the moment.

Have tried again with card in device, got it to start, opened up TT HOME, and immediately came up with eorror message window. Error 573.Invalid version of application installed on TomTom device.

Last edited:
Was hoping per previous message that you would move ONLY the application off to the PC and allow Home to update that. Still, with an 'empty' unit, Home should have offered to install the correct application onto your unit. Try manually deleting ttsystem from the root of the device and try to get Home to download and install it again. Home should never offer to download firmware to a 'bare' unit (no card installed) that is inappropriate. It is important that the card is not installed during that first phase of this process.

Hi, disconnected device from pc, reconnected, HOME opened up, and came up with update screen, proceeded to update and install files automatically. has voices, application, and a few others, but no map. tried insert the sd card in, fired up, but came up with the sd card symbol with red X again, meaning to remove the card.

I think the device has all the files back in except the map, but won't boot up, has the TT hands logo, then black screen without the card inserted.

Good - so for whatever reason the improper app got installed, at least the unit functions again, and you could, if need be, use the map that originally came with that unit. So now we're still trying to figure out why the app and card don't play well together.

I'm out of town on business at the moment, but I will give this some additional thought and get back to you. Meanwhile, we may have a moderator here that might have a brain flash. I would expect that after booting off the unit and inserting the card, the map on the card shouldn't be causing the X UNLESS it's because of the system software on the card itself.

Maybe like you said before, because the unit's serial number and the card's number are different, they won't play ball. ORRRRR, maybe the device's application will only allow it to read maps loaded into it's memory, not the car, so perhaps I need to find an app that is compatible with my device, that allows it to have loaded maps, AND read card maps aswell, or just read car maps is fine too.

When I remove all files from the device, HOME auto backed them up to the computer, same as with the card.

You can set Home NOT to automatically back up the contents to the computer. When the card causing the X is inserted in the device ,does Home not offer to download an application?

Hi, HOME only offered to update and download/install the default stuff I think, but didn't offer any maps, not even the default UK one. I think I need to manually select that. All the other factory files are in I think, just no maps. I need a file/app that will enable the device to rear from the card, instead of using internal memory/maps.

If I leave the OZ card in the device, plug into the pc, power up, it will have the 2 hands logo with bongos sound, then the memory card with red X appears, it won't go any further unless I remove the card. This is the same if under own power, without connecting to the pc aswell. As long as the card is in, the device won't boot up fully.

If you have properly backed up one or more working maps from THAT unit to your PC, it is easy enough to restore them. Didn't you have a UK/ROI map originally for this unit?

Hi, yes, the unit had Uk map on originally. Everything from it was backed up on to the pc, so still have UK map but just not put back in. Is there an application that makes the device read the sd card, not the internal memory? I can't put the OZ map in cos it's 1.47 GB, and the device is only 512 mb!!

You can take the entire UK/ROI map folder that belongs to that unit, and either copy to 2GB or less SD card or copy to internal memory. The map folder should be placed in the root of either.

If you have an Aus/NZ map that belongs to that unit, it can go on an SD card of 2GB.

HI, unfortunately, I don't have an OZ map which came with the TT, only the original map on the SD which I bought 2nd hand, with a non compatible serial number, which is the problem. I'm not bothered about having the UK maps. I have 3 other TT's, a ONE and a ONE XL which both have UK maps, I just want to get the XL to use the OZ map that is on the sd card.

So unfortunately, it looks like I will have to buy another unit that has the OZ map already in it again and just sell this XL and the OZ map on the sd card.

BTW, what's the root? Is there a file called root?

The root is the location on the drive where the folders reside. For example, on most computers, C:\ is the root drive and then folders (and some files) get located there.

Ask a Question