HOME unable to "Operate My GO"

Since I'm being ignored by TomTom's online support, I thought would ask for some assistance here.

After receiving my new GO730 a week ago, I was able to use it in the docking station using the supplied version 2.2.2.83 of HOME. I downloaded HOME version 2.7.4.1962, which also worked well. I used HOME to update my GO and then became unable to use the "Operate My GO" function. An error window pops up stating "This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of navigation device, your device's application version and your computer's operating system."

The update seems to have changed the APP from 8.002 to 8.395, and the Boot from 1.0012 to 5.51200, but
I also noticed that the GPS version dropped from v1.21 to v1.20. I'm running a fully updated version of Vista Ultimate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Are you certain that your application reads "8.395"? I ask because that is a "TomTom Work" firmware version number, and since you had 8.002 before, that's just wrong. The most recent usable firmware for your 730 would be 8.351. It sounds like Home screwed up and offered you firmware that isn't appropriate for your 730.

Home is only able to manage things providing it's OK with the combination of firmware and unit model, but that combination above would throw it for a loop. It doesn't work with the "Work" firmware at all.

We need to get 8.351 on your unit and quick. DHN has posted a long list of available firmware that we can point you to, but as it turns out, 8.351 isn't in that list. It can be installed directly without getting involved with Home, and I think that's what you should do under the circumstances.

DHN - you out there with a link to 8.351 and the loading instruction link?

Meanwhile, play with the menu a bit -- you should find some features you've not seen before on your 730!

Last edited:
Here's the problem..........

For whatever reason, Home provided an application (8.395) that was not meant for your 730. It's meant for a TomTom WORKS model and associated WORKS map.

So..............
1. Make an Explorer, Not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Delete all the loose files in the root of your unit. NO folders or their contents.
3. Download the proper 8.351 application using this link
4. Use WinRar to extract the contents of the compressed application in step 3 to your unit, overwriting as necessary.
5. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware Device disconnect icon.
6. Restart the unit and connect to Home. Emulator should work now.

Thanks for the prompt help. The application is indeed 8.395, and there is a WORK icon. Since that led me to a request to start a "activation process" that somehow looked like an extra expense, I never investigated it further. My wife has the 730 out of town today, so I will change the application (8.351 already downloaded) in the next day or so. Following the advice here, I made a full Explorer backup of the original files before doing any updates, so I can always make a fresh start. I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks a lot.

I wouldn't use the "Operate My Go" function. When you do it changes your settings sometimes- most notably the car icon.

I wouldn't use the "Operate My Go" function. When you do it changes your settings sometimes- most notably the car icon.
Had some interesting stuff happen about a year and a half ago, but it's been a long time since Home changed any of my settings. The only malfunction I have is when I do updates -- it insists on turning on the sound when I'd had it turned off. No biggie.

Solved!

I 'd like to thank you all again for the quick answer to my problem, especially dhn. Your instructions worked perfectly! I'm really impressed that you gave me the correct solution within 35 minutes of my posting.

Tomtom's online support finally got back to me today (7+ days later) with three possible solutions - all wrong. They presented three ways to replace HOME on my computer, but no way to correct the application on the 730. And as a further illustration of their confusion, the solution supposedly came from a Cindy P, but she identified herself as Shelly.

Well, my 930 must be unique. For over two years now I have been using Operate My Go whenever I plan a trip and to enter the different POIs in several custom POI categories.
I also use it when ever I try to duplicate a routing problem someone in this forum asks about.

I did have some settings changes but that was only after map updates.
Maybe I don't have problems with the car icon as I never changed from the blue up chevron that was in there when I powered up the first time.
(In May 2008 the OS was 8.002, like th one for Ikarus.)
Cheers,

Last edited:
operate my go resets the 3d car icon, turns on the volume, and unchecks some quickmenu choices on app 8.x. this has been fixed on app 9.x.

Ask a Question