Help on New Map Download from TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
Cannot see Forum for my GO 520, so apologies if this post is in the wrong Forum.

Have UK & NI maps on my 520 'Internal Memory' with little space left plus the 520 has an SD card slot.

Need South African Maps for trip early next year - My question is:

If I purchase this Map from TOMTOM as a Download (does not appear to be available
on SD Card), WILL this Download directly onto my Computer 'C' Drive - from which I will then be enable to put it onto an SD Card to use on my 520?

Have never downloaded New Maps (only updates) from TomTom, so unsure of the process, and don't wish to upset the existing Maps on the Internal memory!

Any advice/assurance would be most welcome.

If you install a sdhc, not sd card, in your unit prior to the download, then when you connect the 520 to Home and start up the 520, Home will ask whether you want to use the internal or sd card. Select the sd card. Then purchase and dl the map. It should install on the sdhc.

That said, Home has a glitch where it sometimes ignores the user's request and tries to install stuff in the other storage area .... or both.

But do the process I described in paragraph one. I suspect the South Africa map isn't that large but I'd recommend a 4 gb sdhc card, the faster the better.

If you install a sdhc, not sd card, in your unit prior to the download, then when you connect the 520 to Home and start up the 520, Home will ask whether you want to use the internal or sd card. Select the sd card. Then purchase and dl the map. It should install on the sdhc.

That said, Home has a glitch where it sometimes ignores the user's request and tries to install stuff in the other storage area .... or both.

But do the process I described in paragraph one. I suspect the South Africa map isn't that large but I'd recommend a 4 gb sdhc card, the faster the better.

Many thanks for your advice

Ask a Question