no maps found help.??

hello to all
i just pick up a xxl 540t and it has the display error of no maps found is there a way to force/install a map back on with out hassle. i want to get it going to give to my daughter
thanks

Was this a new unit? Unlikely, as they haven't been built for quite a while.

If used, then we (you) may have a rather serious problem.

While it is possible that a valid map is on the unit, and we may be able to get the unit to recognize it, there is also the possibility that there really is no valid map, and that can happen in several ways.

Please give us more background on where you got this unit, and any operations you have performed on it since you got it.

Meanwhile, this sometimes works. Download the "Clear Flash Tool" at this TomTom site: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6178

With your unit connected to your PC and 'discovered' by your PC (you can ignore the fact that Home starts up), run this utility three times. It won't look like it is doing anything, but it does.

Now, use Home to properly disconnect the unit.

Does the unit find the map now? If not, we'll have to have you look at the files on the unit to see if there appears to be a valid North American map on the unit or not.

no the unit is use ok when i look at the files in this folder=USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P
it has way more les files in it than my other xxl540s like 10 or more missing files.???

Was this a new unit? Unlikely, as they haven't been built for quite a while.

If used, then we (you) may have a rather serious problem.

While it is possible that a valid map is on the unit, and we may be able to get the unit to recognize it, there is also the possibility that there really is no valid map, and that can happen in several ways.

Please give us more background on where you got this unit, and any operations you have performed on it since you got it.

Meanwhile, this sometimes works. Download the "Clear Flash Tool" at this TomTom site: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6178

With your unit connected to your PC and 'discovered' by your PC (you can ignore the fact that Home starts up), run this utility three times. It won't look like it is doing anything, but it does.

Now, use Home to properly disconnect the unit.

Does the unit find the map now? If not, we'll have to have you look at the files on the unit to see if there appears to be a valid North American map on the unit or not.

Last edited:
in home i have the option to re install the map but when i click on it it says not enought room in drive

running wxp
yes i ran the proggy 3 times and yes i back up what is current on the unit

QUOTE=canderson;173451]@1iwilly
First project from yesterday: Did you run the Clear Flash tool 3 times?
First question for today: Are you using a Mac, by any chance?
First project for today: Back up your unit before we take the next step. Instructions for a proper backup here >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html[/QUOTE]

well for some miracle after forcing to update now it is back to working again love them miracles best $14.99 i have spend on ebay for gps in new conditions

"After forcing to update"? What exactly did you do?

Check to see if there is any file called splashw.bmp in the root of the unit.

yes that was the problem for some reason it had the wrong size one in there i take it the previous owner try install a whole diff map and that's how it got screw up but it is up and running 100% oh i use the splash that was posted here a while ago the one the reads hi i'm susie tom tom where too.?? thanks again for the replies

Check to see if there is any file called splashw.bmp in the root of the unit.

oh i use the splash that was posted here a while ago the one the reads hi i'm susie tom tom where too.??
Hope you and Suzie have a good time together. That's Susan Wilkes, supermodel, BTW. Only make sense here in N.A. where the female computer voice is "Susan".

Ask a Question