Help installing USA map on via 1450

TomTom Model(s)
tom tom start 20 via 1450
Hi I have a Tomtom start 20 via 1450. Im trying to install a USA map on to my tom-tom but have seen that i don't have the required memory to install the map even after i have uninstalled the UK & ROI map. I'm using the software 'my drive' which i think is the correct software to use? My drive is saying that after uninstalling the UK map my tom-tom is still using 1300mb of memory is this correct because after I've deleted the map (which is 300mb) it seems an awful lot of memory to be taken up on nothing, i still need to clear about 600mb of memory to be able to install the map so could someone tell me how i can go about uninstalling other software off the tom-tom. I would like to think there is a way of doing this as when i purchased the map from the tom-tom website there was no warning that any model may not have sufficient memory to install it.

Any help or advice would be excellent thanks in advance

lloyd.

Yes, MyDrive is the correct interface for updating and swapping maps.

I've not run across a Via 1450 .. the Start 20 models I've run across with similar name are Via 1405. Those units do NOT have a uSD card slot, so if everything won't fit into 4GB, you get stuck with 'segmented' maps. MyDrive should be offering you a portion of the North American map set, e.g., Canada & Eastern USA or another of these 'segments' that will fit. Please tell us the exact name of what you see being offered by MyDrive.

thanks for your reply. I've check on the tom-tom website using the first to characters of my serial number and i have a Start 20 / VIA 1405 - 4GB TTS (MyDrive)*. so with that in mind i should be able to install a USA map shouldn't i?
thanks again
lloyd

when i bring up my drive on my laptop the program states i have used 1671mb and have 2026mb free with a uk map installed so when i remove this map it leaves me with 2326mb free space and still 1371 being used....my question is what is using over one third of my memory and how can i clear it to give me 2900mb of space to install the USA map? you also mentioned about sections of the USA map being installed all my drive is saying about is using an SD card but i don't have an SD port on this model??

Yes, as noted above...

"Those units do NOT have a uSD card slot, so if everything won't fit into 4GB, you get stuck with 'segmented' maps. MyDrive should be offering you a portion of the North American map set, e.g., Canada & Eastern USA or another of these 'segments' that will fit."

Given the current increased size of both the North American and European maps, they no longer fit within the confines of a 4GB unit. As a result, MyDrive should be offering you a portion of North America for download that is not so large. You should pick the portion that makes the best sense for your planned travel.

If MyDrive isn't cooperating, you may have to call customer service to sort this out.

One thing for sure - they can make zoned maps available to you if MyDrive isn't already showing them. It's a function of what the server on their end is telling MyDrive. Keep us posted on your results.

after a call to them today and with some good customer support the end result was a refund! the operator tried to free up some memory on my device at his end but couldn't get enough free so he was more than happy to give me a refund, with no hassle so thanks for your help!

But that doesn't help you much. What they should have done is set up their server to offer you zoned versions of the North American map so that you could pick up the half you needed when you needed it. It really will fit in halves at a time.

Ask a Question