help a girl out

I bought a xxl540m two weeks ago and it was stolen. I did the explorer backup and registered it before it was stolen. My question is if I buy a new 540s which is much cheaper, can I use the backup and registration from the 540m and do the updates going forward? Thanks in advance.

bigtrain333 - I think each registration is specific ONLY to a unit (by serial #), but the moderator should verify that in another post very soon.
HOWEVER - NEW 540M is $121 and 540TM is $133 at Amazon NOW through 11/21. Use coupon "tomtom20" to get the extra 20% off to get above prices.
Moderator- is this against policy ?
Also, Moderator, can I change the word "highway" to "route" in the loquendo/data file or is that specific term unchangeable ? All the highways by me are called "route". Thanks

Use a new e-mail address for the new device, if you re-use the same one associated with the original device it will give you nothing but grief.
If you only have a single e-mail account and nothing spare to use simply make one up as it doesn't have to be a working e-mail "[email protected]" would be acceptable as far as the TomTom is concerned.

Don't worry about posting cash save codes, anything that saves someone cash in this day and age is welcome - No idea about the LoquendoTTS issue as thats not a word I have tried changing - (Wrong side of the Pond) - Mike

Also, Moderator, can I change the word "highway" to "route" in the loquendo/data file or is that specific term unchangeable ? All the highways by me are called "route". Thanks
You can give it a try. Navigate to the file roadnrEnglishUS.lex in your LoquendoTTS\data folder. Change the entry there that says "hwy" = "highway" to "hwy" = "route" and see if that doesn't clear up most of it for you. Of course, the real "highway" stuff is all going to get changed, too.

So I can use the update map code for the new gps. I can get the 540s on Amazon for $87. But I don't want to get that if I can't update the maps in the future with the code from the other gps.

So I can use the update map code for the new gps. I can get the 540s on Amazon for $87. But I don't want to get that if I can't update the maps in the future with the code from the other gps.
No, you can't use the code from another GPS to update maps on the new one. They're separate entities with different serial numbers. The new GPS (540s) should come with LMG or latest map guaranty. That should give you the one update to the latest map... which is due out anytime now, but not lifetime maps like the one that was stolen. Sorry.

You can give it a try. Navigate to the file roadnrEnglishUS.lex in your LoquendoTTS\data folder. Change the entry there that says "hwy" = "highway" to "hwy" = "route" and see if that doesn't clear up most of it for you.
canderson - Thank you, but based on older moderator posts (number enunciation, etc) I tried your idea already, in lower case AND in caps for both forms of the word highway. Is there another abbreviation I am missing, or how about changing the "highway" word in the "rex" file (lines 4,5, & 6) in the loquendo/data file where it shows up 3 times ?
Do you think "Highway" is a protected word in TT language ?
(This forum is great for information to improve our Tom Toms!)

Thanks guys

I really appreciate you guys replying to my questions. I think I will just buy a new gps like the one I had.

Is there another abbreviation I am missing
I don't think so, and I was taking a guess that the abbreviation "Hwy" was what was embedded in the map and would be re-pronounced. Not sure exactly what your local situation is.

how about changing the "highway" word in the "rex" file (lines 4,5, & 6) in the loquendo/data file where it shows up 3 times ?
Do you think "Highway" is a protected word in TT language ?
(This forum is great for information to improve our Tom Toms!)
Certainly can't be "protected" in the normal sense since it is being so heavily "managed" in the external files. I believe the "Hwy" in the *.lex will only be used for pronouncing the information on road and exit signs. The data embedded in the maps - well, the *.rex is the next most likely solution.

The *.rex file really isn't for managing this (it's really for managing how numbers are read back), but due to what it does manage, it may well work out for you. You're looking at the road prefix stuff from the map itself. "US" is used for U.S. highways, "I" = interstate, and "HW" is used for highway.

If you take each of the "HW" entries that equate to a string using the word "Highway" (lines 4, 5 and 6 as you pointed out) and substitute "Highway" with "Route", that should change the word used for embedded map data as it attempts to read the number in the way we like to hear them. For example, nobody in California really likes to hear Interstate "Four Hundred Five" -- they want to hear about Interstate "Four Oh Five". That's what the next to the last line is managing, as an example.

Go for it and let us know how it sounds. Can't hurt.

Ask a Question