GO730 jukebox stops playing

Hi,

I recently bought a Go 730 and managed to figure out everything I need/want it to do. I set up the Bluetooth connection to my phone. I set the FM transmission to a signal that works. I have some mp3s on an old SD card in the mp3 folder and they do play.... most of the time. I even set up the GPS to start playing my mps3 at startup.

The problem I have is that once in while it will start to play the first song (or resume the last song before power off) for a few seconds and then just stop. I have to go back into Jukebox and start them again and the same thing happens. I usually get fed up and just list to the radio. This seems to happen 25% of the time.

I am wondering what might be causing this. I have the unit plugged into the car charger but I am thinking that with Bluetooth, FM transmission, playing mp3, etc.. that the battery is being drained faster the unit can be charged.

The other possibility is that the SD card is old (256Mb). I formatted it but still have the same issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will try to copy the mp3s to the internal memory.

Don't know if the card is the problem but 730's can handle 32 gig sdhc cards installed.

I had a similar problem and I found-out it happened when I had other extension than MP3 in the MP3 folder. It seems the TT will try to open the file then skip to the next but, after a while, it says "no more" and all playback stop at random, not even on the offending files.

I had copied all files from another MP3 player into my SD card, without checking formats and I had some WMA in there... Since I removed these files, It didn't crash. It usually crashed within 30-45 minutes and now, I used it for 2 hours in a row without issues.

Last edited:
Also, there is a bug in the bluetooth software:
- If you have a PLUS traffic subscription and the cell data temporarily shuts off (you make a call or hit a dead zone) it destabilizes the Tomtom and often kills the FM in the process.
- After a few days of using handsfree calling, it also destabilizes

If the Tomtom destabilizes from either of the above, just to a pin reset and things go back to normal.

If caused by the 2-3 day handsfree bug, you'll have to keep doing the occasional pin resets, or downgrade to app 8.302 if it bothers you too much. Note that 8.302 does not have FM transmission of directions, only music.

If caused by a data-cutoff, the app 8.302 downgrade won't help.

Me too

I have the same issue. I'm going to check on the mp3 extension suggestion, and maybe turn off the bluetooth. I rarely turn the bluetooth on in the blackberry, but it is always enabled on the Tom Tom. I'll report back as to what I find.

J

What sample rate have your mp3 tracks been ripped at? the TomTom units tend to play up with 320KBP/s and you can notice issues with 256KBP/s stick to 192KBP/s or less and it should be ok - Mike

I have the same problem. I did check for non-mp3 files and had some thumbs.db files in there from Windows. I did delete them and it still stopped yesterday. As usual a push of the reset got it working again (always carry a toothpick in the car for that purpose). All the mp3s are 192k or less.

Me too

Just wanted to raise my hand as having the same issue. :(
Including the phone connection stops working at the same frequency.
Getting tired of resetting.
Any plans to fix it in say a software update?
Not nice when a mate asks, so how's your new tom tom, to answer with, "well, the extra feastures I paid for dont really work."

I have exactly the same issue on my Go 930 Traffic. It can sometimes play for hours with no problems...other times it will stop after a few seconds into the first song. Happens both playing through the device and playing FM to the car speakers, and has occurred in both UK and USA on the same device.

Totally frustrated with it, especially when playing the MP3s on shuffle...when it cuts out the whole shuffle routine starts from scratch, resulting in it playing songs already played.

I thought perhaps it was a faulty card, but have now read several reports of this happening. Was there any resolution to the problem (given the previous post was a year ago)?

I thought perhaps it was a faulty card, but have now read several reports of this happening. Was there any resolution to the problem (given the previous post was a year ago)?

Still no fix. But the app-downgrade workaround should resolve the issue. See here.

I have been having the same problems, (even with my new class 6 sd card). Also my bluetooth for my phone sometimes works, sometimes not. I just reverted to the "old" operating system and will go try it. Hope it works. Will let you know. It would be great if the TT folks would fix this well known and long time reported, bug!!

Hopefully,
Gridlok

After the software "downgrade", my MP3s on my sd card seem to work. I will keep my fingers crossed, but really, why in the world won't the TT people fix this well known bug?
I mean how many 730's have they sold?

Gridlok

The TomTom support team gave me the following fix for the Jukebox stopping suddenly...it appears to have worked so far, but it's early days...
Perhaps worth a try?

"You need to use a small tool known as the Clear Flash tool. This removes the flash memory on your device, ie passwords etc, but not any favourites you have saved.

To do this please do the following:-

STEP 1 - Creating a backup of your map

- Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
- Perform a reset on your device (see: Reset )
- Connect your device to the computer and turn it on
- Open the Home software, go to page 2 and press on the "Manage My Device" (Go, ONE, XL) button.
- Tick your map and press on the "Copy to Computer" button

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your map.

STEP 2 - To perform a Factory Reset please do the following.
Please be aware that you will lose any recent destinations and favourites by doing this - you can make a backup of these first in TomTom HOME by clicking on the button called

Backup & Restore.

? Switch on the unit
? Go to 'Change Preferences' (ensure all menu options are visible)
? Go to the last screen and select 'Reset Factory Settings'
? Select 'Yes'

STEP 3 - Please perform soft reset the device by visiting Reset

STEP 4 Run the Clear Flash tool

- Download the clear flash tool from Clear Flash tool and follow the instructions on this web page.
- Once this has completed, switch your TomTom device off, disconnect it from the Computer and then switch it back on.

STEP 5 Run a Disk Error Check

For details on running a disc error check, please click on http://www.tomtom.com/9907."

Well, it screwed up again. The mp3s stopped playing even after going to all the trouble of downgrading the operating system as per instructions. By the way, I have a class 6 sdhc card, 8GB and all the mp3s are "real" mp3s. And the bluetooth becomes useless as well.

What hoops do I jump through now? Pretty dissappointing for a machine that's only 3 months old.

Gridlok:confused:

Unfortunately, some people get used to having a paperclip close by their units to reset them, just for times like this......

I keep 2 paper clips handy. One near my computer and one in my car. Maybe TomTom should supply them if they are not going to fix this software problem.:eek:

Gridlok

Ask a Question