GO 720 is stuttering BAD

I had a lot of stuttering from Susan,changed to Dave haven't heard any. It better anyhow, get enough of a women tell me what to do at home...LOL:D

I also have the stuttering problem with my 720, 8.3 Nav and 8.15 map. Long names are part of the problem because it is much worse when I have the voice announce street numbers before the names. Turning that function off in speech preferences helped quite a bit. Please post any updates on this problem.

Mine also

I just did the update last week, my unit worked fine until then. Now it stutters, usually on more complicated phrases or longer phrases. I use computer Dave, I also switched to computer Susan with the same problem.

Well, I finally took my 720 out tonight to experience the stuttering (had only gone around the block earlier with no problem).

I use the computer voice, Susan.

I have firmware 8.3 and NA map 8.10.

In a round trip of 100 kilometers, not once did Susan stutter.

I am fully aware that the next trip may indeed be a disaster; I'm just sayin ...

For those who want to know...the free ram both before and after remained at 15.9 mb.

Last edited:
When I connected my 720 last night I had a warning that Kate (Comp Voice) was not compatible with my version of software (8.3) after checking the versions the one installed was V693 and I was being offered V710 now I was not having any problems with the voice stuttering to start with but this could be the NZ version of the 720 as I has 28mb of free Ram where I have seen some people reporting that their Ram was down to 10mb after the 8.3 update. Anyway have updated to Kate V710 and still have no voice stuttering problems and free Ram is now reporting as 20.2mb.

The NZ map does not have the cspeechXX.dat so voice input is not available for NZ I dont know if this is the cause of the low memory that some people report with the stuttering voice. I did read somewhere that using the 730 voice fixed the problem and I think the 730 was using V7 TTS. So it might be worth updating your comp voice to the new V710.

cheers

Ken

Well, I finally took my 720 out tonight to experience the stuttering (had only gone around the block earlier with no problem).

I have Susan :)D ). Let me rephrase....

I use the computer voice, Susan.

I have firmware 8.3 and NA map 8.10.

In a round trip of 100 kilometers, not once did Susan stutter.

I am fully aware that the next trip may indeed be a disaster; I'm just sayin ...

For those who want to know...the free ram both before and after remained at 15.9 mb.

It is cumulative. As you use it more, free memory goes down and then ...whammo...problems.

Switch to V& and you will have less issues.

TT should modify the pin reset to include a RAM defragmentation everytime.

It is cumulative. As you use it more, free memory goes down and then ...whammo...problems.

Switch to V& and you will have less issues.

TT should modify the pin reset to include a RAM defragmentation everytime.

If you sit and watch the "free RAM" screen, you'll see that it doesn't just go down. It actually jumps up and down like it should. I've dropped as low as 11.2 MB free space, but after stopping some things, it jumps right back up.

Nothing as I remember.

Not quite true... used to be that it would show the next street along the bottom, and top right it would show other things, e.g. the name and number of the highway the GPS is trying to get to (helpful if you discover signage that says there's a better way to get there). Now it's all combined into one sign, which is often wrong (the highway is displayed instead of the street you're going to turn on, though the Dave voice will tell you the correct street sign to look for).

Thanks for the correction. Of course, at my age, I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast .... and that was an hour ago! :eek:

My 720 was stuttering yesterday as well... I put everything on my SD card and deleted everything from the internal memory and it cleared up and has seemed to be running faster. Not sure if it'll work for everyone else as well, but it worked for me.

I have the same problem with go920. My firmware version is 8.3 and NA maps version is 8.15. Basically long street names (or long driving instructions for the matter) are not recognizable at all.

You could try Adam's suggestion. Get a sdhc card of 4 gigs or more, copy your entire NA folder from internal to the card and see if the stuttering ceases.

I have a 720 with only the NA map and map 8.10 and f/w 8.3. I put the NA map on a sdhc card and do NOT have the stuttering ... yet.:eek:

I realize it may happen on my next outing. I'm just sayin'........

I have been experiencing the same problem since the moment I upgraded to firmware v8.3. I just got back from Iraq a few weeks ago and left for a month-long driving trip about a week and a-half ago, so I've been doing hours upon hours with my GO720 since.

I drove from Seattle to Rapid City, SD, with zero problems (20+ hours of continuous use). During this drive I was running whatever firmware version was available approx 7 months ago. In South Dakota I upgraded to v8.3 and IMMEDIATELY started experiencing the voice nave stutter problems.

BUT, I think something I saw only one person in this thread mention, and that I believe may be an indication of a problem that's deeper than just the voice nav, is that since doing the firmware upgrade I now see the screen refresh rate drop waaaay down on my unit. Normally it's somewhere around 4 or 5 frames per second, but I see it all the time now drop down to maybe a frame a second. At first I thought this was a new battery saving feature, but I see it both running on battery, on charge, and with a full charge running plugged in. So, this seems to be an indication that the processor is getting bogged down by something -- an error in the coding somewhere probably. It gets so bad at times, especially when I'm turning at intersections, that the display lags well behind my driving position. I believe this is always occurring when I'm getting the stutter-speak.

As an aside, I've also noticed a couple other problems after the "upgrade": "Dim screen between instructions" and "Link volume to noise level" both don't work any more.

I have done a PIN reset (if that's referring to a "hard" reset using the recessed reset button on the unit) and have tried deselecting and re-selecting the above two options. The stuttering went away and the screen refresh rate went back to normal...for about 3 minutes, then everything got bogged down again. No joy on the dim screen and volume level link features, either.

I'm sure somewhere in the forum I can figure out how to go back to the last version of the firmware...

-Brian

Last edited:
Tapping for repetition seems to help

I've found that when the stuttering problem happens, I can tap the lower left area of the status bar for repetition of the instruction, and the stuttering disappears for that instruction. I.e., when the instruction repeats, it does it normally.

Free Ram and Defrag

If you sit and watch the "free RAM" screen, you'll see that it doesn't just go down. It actually jumps up and down like it should. I've dropped as low as 11.2 MB free space, but after stopping some things, it jumps right back up.

Hey Sage I have been trying to figure out what the "free ram" screen is and where it can be found (I'm new to this stuff)
Secondly, when defrag is referred to is this the defrag that can be done through explorer?

Love this site BTW

Ask a Question