GO 720 is stuttering BAD

Atleast 2 more weeks

I just had chat with tomtom rep.They said they dont have any fixed time frame but it would atleast take two more weeks before they get a fix for this stutterring problem. And he admitted its due to the new firmware (8.3).
So I guess we have to wait....

:mad: It's funny, I have called TomTom support several times requesting for an update for the 8.3 firmware fix update.. every time I call they keep telling me next week since early December.. I don't think they are taking these issues seriously.

:mad: It's funny, I have called TomTom support several times requesting for an update for the 8.3 firmware fix update.. every time I call they keep telling me next week since early December.. I don't think they are taking these issues seriously.
Given what it must be costing them in tech support calls, I doubt that ... ;).

Some companies have some pretty arcane and drawn out software review cycles ... not that TomTom's does them much good, if 8.300 is any indication ... but even in the face of failure, many stick to their process as though it had been handed down from Mt. Sinai.

I think a problem that TomTom may be having is this:

Software developers cannot fix a bug until that bug has been replicated. As we have seen (for months now :( ) in various threads here, there is not one specific set of conditions causing the stuttering and slow screen refresh that users experience. Yes, all have firmware 8.3, but some have different maps, different models, different voices, etc. And, the problems don't exist in demo mode, you have to actually get out and actually use the units.

This all takes time. Certainly not as much time as it appears to be taking.

And who knows? Maybe part of the delay is TomTom's attempting to implement code to return fm transmission in the firmware update for NA users. (<-----wishful thinking :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

And, the problems don't exist in demo mode, you have to actually get out and actually use the units.

The problem does exist in demo mode. Before loading 8.32 w/ v7 voices I was able to hear the stutter a few times in demo mode.

Really?? You're the first I've seen who has reported experiencing it in Demo mode.

8.3 w/ 8.15 maps and version 6 voices did do this in DEMO mode.

Personally, I believe part of the problem of stuttering has to do with power management, as I got no stuttering when the TomTom was plugged in. Running in real life and demo mode without power caused stuttering occasionally.

I have just completed a 3600 kl (2100 mi) trip with many different Hwy's from the east cost of Canada to the western part of the Florida panhandle. I am using 8.32 with 8.15 map and Ken US computer voice from this Loquendo file Click here
My 920 worked flawlessly , no stutter, fast refresh rate, and ALG worked on many intercahanges. (not all but many )

I was using FM radio for audio books and it also worked perfectly, cutting out when instructions were being anounced.

Personally, I believe part of the problem of stuttering has to do with power management, as I got no stuttering when the TomTom was plugged in.
All of my stuttering is with power applied. I never use the unit on battery. With app: 8.300 and Map 815 and version 691 Voices.

-Frank

I had 8.3 installed with map version 8.10 and I had no stuttering... then I added traffic to the mix with the TT Traffic Kit and then the stuttering started again baaaaad... only on the TTS parts of the instructions.

I was getting the same stuttering without traffic and with maps 8.15 installed... so I feel like I wasted my $$ on my 8.15 maps since they are useless right now until the new firmware version gets released.

I feel your pain I got a email from TomTom stating a fix will be out soon that was some time ago and I would get a kickback on the gas price cell phone updates I purchased but cannot be used because I had to resort back to the older version of the TomTom software well I am sure they know they have turned off alot of future customers.....

Hi all, here in Italy we had the same problem with stuttering. This forum has been very helpfull in these long months (thanks for walkarounds ;-) ).

Now Home is downloading the new FW 8.301 for my go720, maybe TT has finally a solution for this bug.

Dang, i was hoping to read that a fix was available. I've updated to NAVCORE 8.320 and I'm using the Dave computer voice. Now I can't operate my GO720 from the HOME application. What a pain in the arse!

Dang, i was hoping to read that a fix was available. I've updated to NAVCORE 8.320 and I'm using the Dave computer voice. Now I can't operate my GO720 from the HOME application. What a pain in the arse!
new version? ;)

--pilsit

I can hear clearly!

Perhaps the end is in sight --
Per tomtom:

Navcore Version 8.302 is now available
(TomTom GO x20 and x30 series)

Fixes faltering computer voices

I have installed the 8.302 on my 930 and have not had any stuttering (yet...!).

Ask a Question