GO 720 is stuttering BAD

My go720 is stuttering REAL BAD...after the oficial update navcore 8.300.Especially with long names...Susan stops in the middle of the word,then says two more syllables then stop again...and finally finishes after 20 SECONDS....Somebody else with same problem??

:mad: :mad: :mad:

My go720 is stuttering REAL BAD...after the oficial update navcore 8.300.Especially with long names...Susan stops in the middle of the word,then says two more syllables then stop again...and finally finishes after 20 SECONDS....Somebody else with same problem??

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Do you happen to have a lot of poi's showing on your map as you drive?

I'm about to test the computer voices right now since you mentioned this. Any way to record sound or video of this happening?

I just tried enabling all POI's and tried to slow/bog down the 720 as much as possible, and even with really long street names, I can't get it to stutter, and that's with Susan as well. I'm gonna run a demo in the downtown area where the map is very cluttered and has alot of detail.

Last edited:
Only gas stations....I've noticed that i have only 12.3 Mb free RAM...

Mine is alternating around 13MB to 17 MB during the demo as we speak. If you leave it at the version number screen, you can see the free ram move up and down.

I've seen many other members here with suttering ONE XL-S's but never really a 720. Many here will suggest a pin reset, etc. I'm INCREDIBLY tired at the moment. You may need to reinstall OS and such but let's not jump to quick conclusions. I can assure you that it's not a bug with 8.3, but a conflict somewhere on your system, because many of us with 720's don't have this issue. Hopefully someone here can help.

Funny is that IT DOESN'T STUTTER in DEMO mode....Only in "real life"...As you can see in demo mode the speed slows down at instruction and the map slows down either on the screen....But when i'm driving i dont slow down at instruction and the map move rapidly on the screen...and it stutters REAL BAD..

Funny is that IT DOESN'T STUTTER in DEMO mode....Only in "real life"...As you can see in demo mode the speed slows down at instruction and the map slows down either on the screen....But when i'm driving i dont slow down at instruction and the map move rapidly on the screen...and it stutters REAL BAD..

Ohh... I have yet to drive out and test it since the new map 815 and os 8.3 upgrade... I installed both but haven't driven anywhere. I guess I could drive out later today and see what's going on.

I noticed my 930's voice ( susan ) is acting a little strange after the 8.3 update.

Mostly on long or strange names.

Houston, we have a problem!

Seems as if the stuttering issue IS related to the firmware 8.3. See this link from the UK forum where they're reporting the same thing:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71821

-------------------------------------------
Later: Just got off the phone with TT Support. The good news is that TT is aware of the stuttering issue and problem should be fixed in next firmware release. The bad news is the rep I spoke with has no idea whether an emergency patch release will come out soon or whether the supposed fix is not scheduled until a regular firmware release some time in the future.

Last edited:
Had the same problem

I experienced the same problem after the firmware upgrade on my 720. However, problem was there Monday night, but this morning following the same route there was no stuttering. No idea why as I don't think I changed anything.

Update - Seems random as to when it will stutter. Have used it to/from work for several days - same route. Sometimes no stutter, sometimes it does, but not always at the same places. I've checked the available RAM both when it is/isn't stuttering and there seems to be no correlation.

However, when it is stuttering, turning the unit off then on again resolves the issue (at least temporarily).

Last edited:
A possible (gludgy) workaround?

The stuttering is associated with the 8.3 firmware.

My understanding is that if the unit sees the operating system on a sd card inserted, it first boots to the card.

So (and I have NOT tried this so ..... ;) )

If you have a 4-gig sdhc card AND a backed up firmware of version 8.010 AND you do NOT have the 8.15 map version (for which you need firmware 8.3 to operate)

THEN.....

Copy your NA map folder from internal to the sd card. Restore your 8.010 firmware to the sd card. Copy your Loquendo folder to the sd card.

NOW..........

Boot up your unit. It may boot to the sd card with firmware 8.010 and, hopefully, no stuttering as you drive your route!

The stuttering is associated with the 8.3 firmware.

My understanding is that if the unit sees the operating system on a sd card inserted, it first boots to the card.

So (and I have NOT tried this so ..... ;) )

If you have a 4-gig sdhc card AND a backed up firmware of version 8.010 AND you do NOT have the 8.15 map version (for which you need firmware 8.3 to operate)

THEN.....

Copy your NA map folder from internal to the sd card. Restore your 8.010 firmware to the sd card. Copy your Loquendo folder to the sd card.

NOW..........

Boot up your unit. It may boot to the sd card with firmware 8.010 and, hopefully, no stuttering as you drive your route!

I have yet to drive out today and test it out. Have you tested it out at all yet dhn? I really wish I could hear what the stuttering is like :)

A very short drive around the corner and did not hear it but, of course, it may happen on a longer trip.

Was kinda hoping I could convince you to be my Guinea Pig to test my theory. You seem to be here at all hours during the night and then complain how tired you are! :p :rolleyes:

Hi, just to say I upgraded my 520 yesterday and it has started to stutter now also, I use 'Kate' voice - I think I also turned on Petrol POI's and I think someone else also mentioned this ??

Spike

Tonight I'll be driving out to a worksite, so I'll get to test it out and see what everyone's talking about.

Perhaps Susan and Kate are a bit nervous because of the new upgrade? I'm nervous too at times when it comes to new things.

Sage, I'd like you to try something.

(this is based upon observations made by a poster in the UK forum)

If you haven't as yet set the route, see how much free ram your unit has. (tap the satellite bars to see the version; tap the version to see the map info AND free ram).

Then, set a route to your planned site.

After arriving there, clear your route.

Now, see how much free ram you have. The poster in the UK forum observed the free ram has gone down.

If it has gone down. .....

I REALLY hate to ask this of you........but you know what I want you to do. Then check the free ram a 3rd time. Has the value changed?

Fixed the stuttering problem!

I called TomTom tech support. They told me to re-install the version 8.3 application by connecting my 720 to my computer and, using TOMTOM Home, click "Add Maps,Traffic, Voices" then go to the last page and click "Items on my computer".

Next, click the plus by applications and find the "TomTom application for GO 520/GO720/GO920" version 8.3. Click more info to find the correct version number. The file size should be 46.4MB. Then set a destination and go drive around and see if it is fixed.

IT WAS!

The sluggishness after clicking a menu button is gone to.

my 930 running the 8.10 maps started to stutter after the 8.30 navcore update.

Now that I have updated the maps to the new 8.15 versions....the stutter has stopped.

Ask a Question